PDA

View Full Version : Food

Mica
09-09-2012, 10:22 PM
Lupus has messed with my taste in foods and sometimes I can't stomach meats. I also get where i'm not hungry but thats pretty normal for me. NOW for the past week I have been trouble eating food. Not the actual chewing and stuff but nothing ever sounds good. When I do eat a meal I get a couple of small bites in before I start feeling sick. I am still hungry but now I am at the point where I can't even look at my meal because it's making me nauseous. I have never had this happen before! Also I can't even think of eating a piece of meat or anything with cheese or sour cream without getting nauseous. This is frustrating! ANNNDDDD After reading over what I wrote I just realized how this looked but no i'm not pregnant or even close to anything like that.....Awkward.

Anybody else ever had this problem?

rob
09-10-2012, 03:08 AM
Yep, I have had this problem since 2004 when I first got the SLE diagnosis. It is incredibly frustrating. I find myself walking down the aisle at the grocery store wondering what in the heck I'm going to buy, because nothing looks appetizing. I don't really get nauseous though. It's just that everything tastes like cardboard. Once in awhile, I'll find something that really does taste good, and I pretty much eat that until it gets old and no longer appeals to me. I have to make myself eat. My mom, who also has SLE, is the same way too.

Rob

PS-And no, I'm not pregnant either...

ruziska
09-10-2012, 07:43 AM
And my momma always complained I was a finicky eater! ITS THE LUPUS!!!!!! Seriously, I too have that problem. Nice to know momma was wrong! (sorry Mom, RIP)

MorrisonGal
09-10-2012, 03:20 PM
Food, meat and cheese in particular smell weird to me when I'm having flares -I know it must be a wonderful meaty smell when I see it cooking, but it smells like rotten garbage to me. I seem to always want to eat a lot of sweets for comfort, though.

steve.b
09-10-2012, 09:56 PM
i'll put my hand up also.

blame the lupus.

i find salads are palatable when this happens to me.

jmail
09-11-2012, 04:06 PM
I blame the lupus too, but pay attention to your liver. My last two reactions were both preceded for a time with nausea, and discomfort under the right rib cage, especially after eating. My liver was having trouble keeping up with me ('course, I wasn't kind to it when I was younger, and it reminds me of that every once in a while).

magistramarla
09-16-2012, 10:06 PM
Sometimes I wish that something would affect my appetite so that I could lose some weight!
I find that if I don't eat on a regular schedule, I get shaky and cranky.
I love to cook, so I'm always cooking, shopping for food, or planning to cook.
I didn't even have too many problems with foods when I was preggers. Quite the opposite, I was always eating!
Hugs,
Marla