PDA

View Full Version : the legal quagmire

ihate2shave
06-04-2006, 01:05 PM
Hi all! Just found this site, and boy do I need it right about now. I was diagnosed with CFS/FMS in 2002 then SLE a year later. There have been many gifts and great moments in this period, but currently I'm down because I've been too tired to work a regular schedule, and my myriad of legal causes are all going along at a snail's pace. Thankfully I do have social security benefits.

I developed the illness while at my last employer, and first they denied me any kind of accommodation, then they fired me (disguised it as a layoff and lied about it.) I also have a pending workers comp claim because my doctors believe stress, along with employer's insistence that I work overtime as my health deteriorated, aggravated things. I think my attorneys are good, but it's hard to tell and the process is soooooo painfully slow. Then you get your crooked judges, sleazy lawyers and insurance systems, and arrrggghhh!!

I've been really down. It's also hard to maintain or build up friendships because I'm down for the count by 7 pm. (Any other Greta van Susteren or Everybody Loves Raymond fans out there?) I can't go at the pace the rest of the world is.

Somebody, please keep me company in my misery! Waaaaaaa!!!!

Saysusie
06-05-2006, 02:34 PM
Hello :lol:
Well, I can certainly empathize with you concerning the workmen's comp and legal issues. I fought my employer for some of the same reasons and, were it not for the fact that my husband was gainfully employed, I would have been homeless waiting for the whole process. My fight took 3 years (they try to wait you out because they have unlimited resources, hoping you'll give in and settle for next to nothing!)
I lost my disability claim, but I won my workmen's compensation case. I also sued for all of the overtime I worked that I was not compensated for and I won that suit also. So, sometimes we actually do win!
I am glad that you found us and I hope that we can offer you comfort, understanding, information and a place to waaaaawaaaawaaaa as much as you need to (lol)

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

ihate2shave
06-06-2006, 11:22 AM
Hi Susie, thanks for your kind reply. It's encouraging to know you can win these battles! Mine have gone on four years and counting, but it took me a year or so to find good lawyers. (at least I hope they're good lol)

Would you share more about your workers comp case, in particular was it based on stress or repetitive trauma...? Did you develop sle at this employer or did you have it already and it was aggravated? Forgive me if you've already talked about this, I'll try to search out past discussions of legal issues so you all don't need to repeat yourselves. Also if anyone wants to reply to me privately about my situation or sharing yours, you can reach me at sweetcitywoman1@hotmail.com.

I'd welcome any more discussion and sharing of war stories... the wisdom of the group would help me a lot! Thanks all.

:D

Saysusie
06-06-2006, 01:06 PM
Hi..
Without going into a lot of detail (because it remains painful to me), the fact that I won my workmen's comp had a lot to do with the way that I was treated after the death of my daughter, the stress placed upon me by my job during that time and my subsequent mental and physical breakdown.
I was diagnosed with SLE before being hired..my job knew about my condition when they hired me and yet, still tried to use it against me when they were trying to remove me from my position. My attorneys used all of that information (including lots of other info) on my case and I finally won.

Peace and BLessings
Saysusie

ihate2shave
06-06-2006, 11:00 PM
Susie, I'm so, so sorry you lost your daughter. I've been reading past posts and I saw that she had sle too. I can't imagine how painful that must be... hugs to you. I hope you vent too, if anyone needs this, you do.

Saysusie
06-07-2006, 10:23 AM
Thank You so much for you kindness and your concern. Yes, sometimes I do need to vent and sometimes I just need to cry. But, I always know that this is a safe place for me to be if I need to do either!

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie