PDA

View Full Version : lost my temper at the eye dr

vicky62
08-12-2012, 07:53 PM
I finally have calmed down sine my Friday visit to my eye exam. He was checking my eyes for dryness and proceided to tell me that most of his pts that say they have lupus don't have it. I got up from my chair nd told him I wasn't giving any damn Dr my hard earn money who tlks out of his,,,,,,,,,, ..I have never in my life used words like that but I have a connection with everyone here and think about all of you often, I don't like to write so I mostly read and pray for a cure.vcky

Derrie
08-12-2012, 08:34 PM
Ugh, Vicky, I am sorry you had that experience. Why on earth would a doctor say something so invalidating like that out loud? He should know good and well from your medical records that another doctor has diagnosed you with lupus.

I am really sorry you had to deal with that indignity. No one deserves that. I hope you find another ophthalmologist-- and a kind and empathetic one, this time!

rob
08-13-2012, 02:57 AM
Last I checked, it's a rheumatologist, not an opthamologist, that makes a Lupus diagnosis.

Unless this eye Dr. is moonlighting as a rheumy, his/her opinion on the subject means squat.

I've had a few "healthcare professionals" say stupid things like this to me before, and I've lost
my temper on them big time too. I'm sorry you had to deal with such a jerk Vicky.

Rob

vicky62
08-13-2012, 04:19 AM
Thank you so much for your kind words. I'm learning that a lot of people think its not a real disease and I really don't get that. I'm learning slowly. Love Vicky

ruziska
08-13-2012, 07:39 AM
Seriously, where do people like that get off thinking it is perfectly acceptable to say those things? You're much better off with an eye doctor that has a clue. I'd even go so far as to suggest you find out if there is a better business bureau for eye doctors and file a complaint. That's just insensitive, rude and unethical!

SleepyInSeattle
08-13-2012, 08:26 AM
What a bonehead, and thank goodness you found out. Now you can find a new doc who respects you!!!!

vicky62
08-13-2012, 10:36 AM
[QUOTE=SleepyInSeattle;108588]What a bonehead, and thank goodness you found out. Now you can find a new doc who respects you!!!! Vicky 62 I don't think he believes anyone with lupus. I mailed him a ton of literature this morning and said sorry for my bad language but I needed someone more educated in lupus and the meds I think his whole office heard me when I was cussing

Derrie
08-13-2012, 11:45 AM
How can someone who has gone to medical school not "believe" in lupus? It's not even controversial. It is a real, long-researched, treatable but uncurable disease with a myriad of physical manifestations.

What kind of eye doctor was he? An ophthalmologist (ie, an MD who specializes in eyes), or an optometrist?

tgal
08-13-2012, 12:28 PM
Reminds me of Dr. House. "It's never Lupus"... Until it is.

Sorru you had to deal with such an ass

magistramarla
08-13-2012, 03:02 PM
Vicky,
Look for an Ophthalmologist who advertises that he specializes in dry eyes and other diseases of the eye. I got really lucky and found an excellent one that way. It's a practice with several young (and cute!) ophthalmologists who each seem to have a different field of expertise. As soon as I mentioned Sjogren's, the receptionist told me "You will want to see Dr. Page."
He seems to know more about Sjogren's than my rheumy, and he doesn't seem to be very fond of the rheumys in this area, either.
My rheumy is the one who tries to deny things, but Dr. Page backs me up.
There are good docs out there - we just have to search them out.
Good luck with your search.
Hugs,
Marla

panda_lupo
08-13-2012, 03:06 PM
ARG! That just grinds my gears!

Thankfully! you can choose to not see that A** again

Some people i tell you! I overheard a lady the other day tell someone that she believes any kinds of dieseases are meant to weed out the weak so the strong can survive... I was so ready to jump over the counter, but my mom pulled me out of the store fast than you can say cococachoo ( picture a mom pulling its two year old throwing a fit out the store ha-ha)

Derrie
08-13-2012, 03:57 PM
Vicky,
Look for an Ophthalmologist who advertises that he specializes in dry eyes and other diseases of the eye. I got really lucky and found an excellent one that way. It's a practice with several young (and cute!) ophthalmologists who each seem to have a different field of expertise. As soon as I mentioned Sjogren's, the receptionist told me "You will want to see Dr. Page."
He seems to know more about Sjogren's than my rheumy, and he doesn't seem to be very fond of the rheumys in this area, either.
My rheumy is the one who tries to deny things, but Dr. Page backs me up.
There are good docs out there - we just have to search them out.
Good luck with your search.
Hugs,
Marla

I'll echo Marla on this-- some ophthalmologists specialize or have a particular focus on or familiarity with autoimmune issues, like dry eyes with Sjogren's and performing annual Plaquenil eye exams. Like Marla, when I contacted the local ophthalmology practice (my small town has only one), I told them I needed a Plaquenil eye exam, and they assigned me to the doctor who studied at the University of Washington (which has a well-respected rheumatology practice) and who had worked a lot with AI patients. She was absolutely fantastic and well-versed in all the latest AI-related and AI-drug-related eye issues.

Vicky, do you think your rheumatologist could recommend a good ophthalmologist for you? He may have a favorite.

blackeight
08-14-2012, 06:32 AM
Oh yes like he knows so much and went to medical school. I would have asked him where he got his phd and why they took it away from him and he was checking eyes in the walmart eye clinic? lol! I have had a lot of that too, and at first really wanted to hurt people. but am used to it now. I am so sorry that happened to you. I will pray for the horrible lil man.

Gretchyn

slim
08-15-2012, 09:51 PM
Thank you for giving me a good laugh, I really needed one . He is an idiot of a doctor for telling you that and I'll bet his medical degree his arrogant
behind wasn' expecting to be cursed out. If you were in my state I wouldrecommend my opthomologist, so I will wish you all the luck of finding one less arrogant.
So, hello from slim, vicky and thanks again for the laugh.