PDA

View Full Version : Very Eemotional Day Today

n.mac
08-09-2012, 08:01 PM
Today my wife and family attended the deployment ceremony for our daughter Rebbeca.
She is a MP in the Illinois National Gaurd and is headed to Afghanastan for a year.

We have been through this before as our son is a US Marine but this was much more difficult-all the soldiers seem so young and its hard not to think of her in her prom dress. She is only 20 and hated going camping(hates bugs especially spiders)and now shes going to live in the desert.
She was told not to bring any civilian clothing and get used to sleeping in her clothes with her boots on.
She was told they will rarely if ever leave the base-thier mission is base security including check points at entrances and they have trained hard and are ready for these challenges-but I know my wife and I will have many sleepless nights until she returns!

Thanks for listening Niall

Manderson
08-10-2012, 04:43 AM
(((Niall and family))) I'll keep good thoughts for Rebecca as well as for you and your wife.

steve.b
08-10-2012, 06:25 AM
i am ex military.
i have seen very close friends "go overseas".
so i understand your emotions.

may it be an unexciting 12 months for her.

i will keep you in my thoughts.
many people do not really understand the important role, that is being done over there.

ruziska
08-10-2012, 08:17 AM
Hugs and prayers to you and your family. My son deploys to Afghanistan in October for a year. Thankfully he'll be "stuck on base" handling paperwork. He leaves a month before his firstborn's first birthday.

Prayers to all our brave military men and women here and abroad. God Bless you all.

jmail
08-10-2012, 12:17 PM
We'll be thinking and praying for you and your family Niall, especially your son & daughter. Thank them for us for their service to our country.

Danica01
08-10-2012, 12:50 PM
Thank you Niall for raising such brave and amazing children. It is because of them and your sacrifice as a parent that keeps us all so safe. Thank you so much! We will keep you and your family in out thoughts every moment of the day. When you need to vent and express your sadness, anger or joy just share it and we will all be here to listen.

Miraid
08-10-2012, 08:16 PM
Today my wife and family attended the deployment ceremony for our daughter Rebbeca.
She is a MP in the Illinois National Gaurd and is headed to Afghanastan for a year.

We have been through this before as our son is a US Marine but this was much more difficult-all the soldiers seem so young and its hard not to think of her in her prom dress. She is only 20 and hated going camping(hates bugs especially spiders)and now shes going to live in the desert.
She was told not to bring any civilian clothing and get used to sleeping in her clothes with her boots on.
She was told they will rarely if ever leave the base-thier mission is base security including check points at entrances and they have trained hard and are ready for these challenges-but I know my wife and I will have many sleepless nights until she returns!

Thanks for listening Niall

Niall,

I am currently in the Army and have served 90% of my career with military police units. If it makes you feel any better, all of the time she spent training to get ready to go overseas will count towards that year. So that year started the day she was "mobilized" as the national guard and reserves calls it. Base security is an important job, and definitely a lot safer than doing checkpoints or patrols. Also, please keep in mind, when it comes to deployments, no news is good news. There may be times that you will not hear from her for various reasons. Communications blackouts, sand storms or what have you. A lot of the time, family members freak out when they don't hear from us when they think they should. Just wanted to share that....no need to stress, it's all part of the Job :D the only thing constant in the army is change!

n.mac
08-12-2012, 10:19 AM
Thank you all for your kind words and prayers!
My wife and I spent the weekend camping after a couple of hectic weeks leading up to her deployment we needed some peace and quiet ! Niall

magistramarla
08-13-2012, 04:08 PM
Hi Niall,
I've been there, too. My son was deployed to Iraq when our Marines first went into there. We were lucky that he was the IT guy in charge of keeping his unit's computers up and running. Since my hubby is an AF officer, they were able to keep in touch. It really helped me to feel better that we got to hear from him.
More recently, my son-in-law was deployed to Afghanistan. The communications were not too bad. He was able to Skype with my daughter and grandson fairly regularly. They are now stationed in Germany and he is training to be a flying crew chief. I'm guessing that this will mean that he will be flying in and out of Afghanistan quite a bit.
I hope that Rebecca has a quiet deployment. We'll be thinking about her. I wonder if she and Tyler (son-in-law) will cross paths?
Hugs,
Marla

debbie-b
08-13-2012, 04:37 PM
I can imagine, how hard it was to let her go.
We are all very thankful for your children, who are keeping us safe.
My prayers will be with you and her safe return.

Debbie

blackeight
08-14-2012, 06:29 AM
Our prayers are with you and your daughter and her batallion. My husband is Army and served in Iraq 3 times during the war. He just returned from a tour in Africa and would go to afghanastan if he could. If you need anyone to talk too, please don't hesistate to pm me. I know its hard. I actually met my husband on yahoo personals while he was doing his 2nd tour in iraq in 04. Hang in there I know how horrible it is.

Nonna
08-23-2012, 06:28 PM
I know I'm about 2 weeks behind the times; but wanted you to know that this ex navy wife spend many months of waiting in silence. I know it must be harder when it's your child.

So many hugs and prayers are sent to you and your family

Toni

n.mac
08-23-2012, 08:28 PM
Thanks to everyone for your kind words and prayers!
Becca left 2 weeks ago today. Right now she is at an army base in mississippi,but will be leaving anyday for Kuwait, she will spend aprox. 1 month there acclimating to the weather there before going to Afghanastan.

My wife is doing better than I expected-she is keeping herself very busy,she has worked x-tra shifts(she is a nurse) and volunteers at a local womens shelter.
She is doing her best to keep busy so she doesn't get bogged down with too much time to think about what could go wrong.
I'm sure it will be a rough holiday season this year! As well we will really start to worry in 4-5 weeks when we know she is in Afghanastan!

Thanks again Niall

magistramarla
08-23-2012, 10:02 PM
Hang in there, my friend.
Hopefully, she'll be able to e-mail or skype fairly often. That really helps.
Hugs,
Marla

kim,l
08-24-2012, 06:06 AM
my thoughts are with your family i can only imagine how emotional this day was for you many hugs kim

Saysusie
08-24-2012, 08:27 AM
My thoughts are with you and your family. I know that you are very proud of your daughter while at the same time, you will not feel whole until she has returned home safely to you. I honor you, your daughter and your family and will keep her safety in my thoughts and prayers.

Peace and Blessings]
Namaste
Saysusie

n.mac
06-16-2013, 04:42 AM
Beccas finally back home!
Its been almost a year since she left for Afghanistan but she is home safe now.

There was a touching ceremony at O'Hare airport yesterday morning-the plane was brought over to a remote area where the plane was met by aprox 50 fire and police vehicles as well as the Freedom Riders, USO and IL National Guard color guard and a few hundred relieved family and friends. While deployed 10 soldiers became daddies and today met their babies for the first time!

Thanks for all your kind thoughts and prayers!

steve.b
06-16-2013, 05:53 AM
glad to hear she is home safe.

tgal
06-16-2013, 11:36 AM
So glad she is safe and sound!!!!

debbie-b
06-17-2013, 03:53 AM
What a relief you must feel, that she is home safe and sound.

Debbie