PDA

View Full Version : Piclkefest 2012!

ruziska
08-08-2012, 09:52 AM
'Tis the time of year when I break out the canning jars and start putting up nature's bounty! As I write this, on a break at work, the smell of fresh dill wafts out of the conference room next door. It all started out with one of the gals and I talking about canning and I offered to teach her how to put up dill pickles. It exploded from there and right now there is 100 pounds of pickling cucumbers and a big bag of fresh dill in the conference room until I can haul it all home tonight for Picklefest 2012! I may have forgotten to tell the boss about this so won't he be surprised when he walks into the conference room! Why the office? Well we have a produce guy that stops by the office once a week with the latest offerings so we ordered from him and he delivered today. I brought my coolers in and will take them home tonight. It's going to be a blast! and if this goes well, we'll follow it with Tomatofest then Applefest!

Saysusie
08-08-2012, 10:48 PM
How funny and what a great way to keep yourself occupied - doing something you enjoy! So who eats all of the pickles????

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

n.mac
08-09-2012, 08:00 AM
That sure is alot of pickles!
I always intend to learn to can but here I am with a bushel basket of tomatoes again-after waiting all summer why does everything have to rippen at once?

jmail
08-09-2012, 10:34 AM
... sigh... our poor garden. Indiana ain't the place fer pickles or 'maters this year... even the taters are tiny. The corn never made it up to shoulder height, and the ears look like something a cabbage patch baby would make... and this is with us watering it several times through the drought here. We do have enough to eat on this year, but we're not doing a pickle or tomatoe or corn fest this year... sigh - and Montana sure are a long way from here, for us to hep you eat yers... lol - onions seem to be OK, tho... Have fun with it, ruziska. There's just somethin' 'bout a homemade dill. |;^)

n.mac
08-09-2012, 07:32 PM
jmail what part of indiana are you from? I live in Il.Im just south of rt 80 about 15 miles west of the indiana border.

My tomatoes are doing pretty good,rabbits got my lettuce and green beans,peppers did okay but I got a bumper crop of radishes.
of course I thought I planted beets but what come up was radishes-not that I mind radishes but a little goes a long way.

Where I'm at (frankfort il) is considered the far s-w suburbs of Chicago but my daughter walks through corn fields to get to school.
But your right the corn crop seems to be pretty much a loss this year!

ruziska
08-10-2012, 08:13 AM
Produce tends to be ready all at the same time and at the hottest part of the year. Thank God for central air conditioning! We've been fortunate here that the drought really hasn't affected us (although some reports will say otherwise). Produce has been plentiful. I personally don't have a vegetable garden as my husband has taken them over to raise his precious roses (yeah, yeah, how sad-NOT!) but we have lots of local producers at the Farmer's Market to keep us stocked up. I'm not going to can much regarding pickles this year. My role basically is to teach but hopefully the tomatoes look as good as the cukes do and that's when I'll be canning up a storm!

rob
08-10-2012, 11:59 AM
Picklefest-I love it!

One of the things I love about Maine is all the homegrown foods and produce. Mom raises blueberries, strawberries, and rhubarb. Both of my brothers-in-law keep us in a good supply of venison and moose, my neighbor down the road has an apple orchard, so we have fresh cider every fall, and my humble contribution-maple syrup. I have a dozen or so maple trees on my property, and each spring I tap them and boil down the sap into fresh syrup. It's alot of work, but it's great fun.

And of course, there's the finest lobster and fresh seafood in the world available right down at the docks every summer afternoon.

We eat well here!

Rob

jmail
08-10-2012, 12:11 PM
I'm dohn biy inn-dee-uh-na-poe-less, on the Southeast side, in the middle of what used to be corn & bean fields n.mac. Almost reminds me of the desert Southwest about now. Six foot high weeds, and nothin' else growing. Even some of the big trees are dying. I lost 3 soft pines last year, and will probably loose a couple more this year... your avatar looks like one of those sears tower (or what used to be the Sear's Tower) kinda pix. What're you doin' out there fellah? Washin' winders? You a cubbie or a sox fan?... Go Cards! lol

Did you know that roses are supossedly edible ruziska? I've never had one, and don't want to try one, but maybe you could use that as leverage with the other half... Flowers are like mushrooms, in that you've gotta be careful which ones you pick, and which parts you choose to eat. Don't wanna get sick from 'em...

rob
08-10-2012, 12:16 PM
your avatar looks like one of those sears tower (or what used to be the Sear's Tower) kinda pix.

It looks like Niall is getting ready to bungee-jump off of a very tall building doesn't it?

jmail
08-10-2012, 12:19 PM
Sumthin'... looks like a steel cable though, so it'd probably knock him though his undies if he jumped...

Danica01
08-10-2012, 12:45 PM
I LOVE PICKLES!!!!!! Do you have any one recipe that you prefer to others??????? Mmmmmmmmm pickles!

ruziska
08-10-2012, 01:00 PM
oh yeah, I know roses are edible. Rose hips are loaded with vitamin C and the petals can be used for rose petal jelly- good stuff! I'm fine with hubby taking over the raised beds, he's got them soooo nice that it has become club med for garter snakes and a bull snake. I have the worst snake phobia in the world! I always say I'll never die from snake bite because the heart attack will kill me first! so he can keep the beds for his roses- I'll buy my produce at the snake free farmer's markets thank you very much!!

ruziska
08-10-2012, 01:02 PM
I LOVE PICKLES!!!!!! Do you have any one recipe that you prefer to others??????? Mmmmmmmmm pickles!

We are making garlic dills this weekend. Ball canning website has great recipes which is what we are basing ours on this weekend. Some of the gals want hot pickles so they will be adding jalepeno and habenaro peppers to theirs.

n.mac
08-12-2012, 10:31 AM
[... your avatar looks like one of those sears tower (or what used to be the Sear's Tower) kinda pix. What're you doin' out there fellah? Washin' winders? You a cubbie or a sox fan?... Go Cards! lol

jmail rob-I work for an industrial painting contractor most of our work is on bridges ,tanks,and large plants-lately we have been doing vintage high-rise restoration. This picture was taken on top of the wrigley building at the base of the"wedding cake top" above the clock tower.
As for cubs or sox-cubs all the way-we painted Wrigley field a few years ago.