PDA

View Full Version : Scary brain fog

wendya432
08-07-2012, 04:05 PM
I had a scary experience driving today. I was in the car with my kids and was having the hardest time. I couldn't figure out when to turn, how much space to have between cars, etc, etc. The 3 yr old rolled down his window in the back and I couldn't figure out what the noise was and what was going on. I could hardly get myself home. And this was a 10 minute drive. I just about kissed the ground when we got home. I've never had anything like that happen before. It was scary especially since I had my kids in the car. I had to put everything I had just into driving. Thank god we got home ok and there was no accidents, and no issues I had to react quickly to. Needless to say, I am having my sister drive me to my urology appointment tomorrow. That is embarrassing enough in itself, to have to ask for a ride to the Dr when I'm only 30 because I don't know if I can make it myself.
(Tomorrow I have my appointment to get an ultrasound on my 12 kidney stones and see how many are too big to pass on my own. I have my xrays sitting in front of the door, and also a hot pink sticky note on the door reminding me to bring the xrays. Hopefully I will actually bring them!!)

magistramarla
08-07-2012, 08:02 PM
Wendy,
I know just what you mean, sweetie. I don't dare to drive on the highway anymore. I take the back roads everywhere, and I worry every time I get stopped at a stoplight. My problem is that my toes and feet are so numb that I can barely feel them, and my leg muscles spasm a lot. I'm always afraid that my leg will spasm and I will hit the car in front of me.
My daughter had kidney stones while she was pregnant. That was a miserable time for her. After Ryan was born, she had to have them broken up by ultrasound so that they were small enough to pass. She was in a lot of pain and was a nursing Mom.
I hope that you get yours resolved soon.
Hugs,
Marla

rob
08-07-2012, 08:49 PM
This happens to me as well,

One of the worst ones was when I got lost coming home from the grocery store. I grew up here and know the area like the back of my hand. I've driven the ten miles to and from the store hundreds of times, yet one day I was behind the wheel and suddenly my mind went blank, and I got lost. Basic reasoning and the ability to put two and two together was just gone. I managed to find a payphone (cellphones don't work here), and I called my Dad to ask for help in getting me home. He came to me at the payphone, and then I followed him back to my house.

It was embarassing, frustrating, and kind of scary. I now keep a card in my wallet with family phone numbers and a prepaid calling card so I don't have to tote around a bunch of quarters to use a payphone. I had to give up flying because of brainfog. Draw a blank in your car, and you can just pull over and stop. Draw a blank as a pilot, and you're in big trouble. I used to have somewhat of a photographic memory for things like maps and blueprints. Not any more. I frakking hate Lupus for taking these things away from me.

Rob

magistramarla
08-07-2012, 08:55 PM
Rob,
I'm lucky - I've still got that "map in my mind" - that's what Jeff calls my photographic memory. However, the lapses in reasoning have been coming more often lately, and I hate it when I have to search for the right word to say!
Hugs,
Marla

steve.b
08-07-2012, 11:51 PM
wendy,
we all have issues with the fog.
there is a great thread about brain fog that shows the lighter side.

http://forum.wehavelupus.com/showthread.php?7214-You-Know-You-Have-Brain-Fog-When

ruziska
08-08-2012, 09:11 AM
My boss has the tendency to ask me questions as soon as he walks in the door in the morning (I'm always there before him). I know I know the answers but the brain fog often prevents me from giving him an immediate response. I've told him time and time again to give me a moment and why but he just doesn't get it. I've explained lupus brain fog to him and I would have had a better response talking to the stray cats that hang around the office. I haven't had problems getting lost while driving (I live in a state that just hit a million people) and my hometown isn't that big but unless I have a list, I'll forget why I'm going where I'm going. At work, I'm creating a continuity binder with a page or more for every single task I'm in charge of. I'm doing it for myself but if ever I'm out sick or take a vacation (vacation??? I must look up the definition of that word), the binder is on my desk for my temp should one be needed.