PDA

View Full Version : I know exactly when I got Lupus

Castell
08-03-2012, 09:42 AM
First, something that happened 2 months before:

I am a 23 year old man and I was at some friend's house and they were having some kind of strong pot and alcohol (my first time using pot); then for some stupid reason i decided to take both, drinking and smoking; my friend didn't say anything about it. I went to sleep; at 2:00 AM i woke up with a strong anxiety attack (i have never had one in my life), i tried to stand up but my legs failed and i fell, my friend got me a cup of water to drink; later on i could stand up again and went to sleep, moving my legs to help me with the anxiety i still felt.

Two months later:

A really bad week, I broke a really expensive smartphone and at the end of the week one of my clients dind't pay the amount we agreed; so i got extremly upset (like my veins where going to explode or something) and then i felt a little electric shock from my head down to all my limbs; it was really weird. Later that day i tried to go to the gym; but i felt fatigued and i trough it was just that it was just stress and I call it a day. The next morning I was still feeling fatigued and with headache, and then it became worse in the next days, then a cold sensation in the chest started and you probably can guess the rest of the history.

I am not totally sure the first incident is relevant but I strongly believe it is.

Just wanted to share this somewhere, see ya.

rob
08-03-2012, 10:14 AM
Hi Castell,

In my opinion, what happened to you doesn't sound like the onset of Lupus itself, but rather the onset of a significant flare, possibly your first. I get that same shock feeling you mentioned, and then the fatigue sets in quickly after. Stress is a sure fire trigger for a flare, and the stress of being really upset and/or angry will trigger a flare for me everytime.

In regards to the pot and alcohol, I'm not aware of any studies that link either as a possible cause for inducing Lupus. Drug induced Lupus does happen, but usually it's from the long term use of certain heart and blood pressure medications. Also, the drug induced Lupus from these meds generally goes away if you stop taking the med.

Stress can trigger a flare, as well as being out in the sun. You can help yourself by minimizing UV exposure with things like sun block, a hat, and long sleeves. That's easy. Managing stress, well, that's easier said than done!

Rob

jmail
08-03-2012, 12:03 PM
Stress 'll do the trick, easy. Especially if you "stew" in it, like I used to. I'd bottle it up. Even when doing a rec activity, like dirt bike riding, running, bicycling, etc., I wouldn't "turn loose of it", as they say (competition??). I don't know why, I just didn't. I do now, and it's a lot easier dealing with life when you "chill, dude". When you get stressed, do a slow, deep breath through the nose, counting to four, then exhale slowly through pursed lips, restricting the exhale a bit. Repeat a couple times, if necessary. It's a Pilates thing, and is better than counting to ten for me...

Hunniebun
08-04-2012, 05:54 PM
I was told the same thing about stress, and even abuse can bring on an autoimmune disease. I am the only one in my family who has Lupus, it is no where down the line. I had a very horrible upbringing and an extremely abusive mother, and my doctor believes that Lupus just showed up because of how hard my life was...It sucked to hear that too, and its very important to try to keep your stress as low as you can.

magistramarla
08-06-2012, 04:45 PM
I agree with others here that stress can bring on a flare and make autoimmune issues apparent.
I'm sure that I had very low-level symptoms for years, and then when our family went through the stress of my mother-in-law's passing, my symptoms suddenly flared. I'm also sure that there is an hereditary component, too. My mother, aunts & uncles and the generation before them all had signs and symptoms that were never diagnosed as autoimmune, but now I recognize them.
Don't beat yourself up about bringing it on yourself. The symptoms were probably going to show up anyway - stress just made them show up at that particular time.
Hugs,
Marla