PDA

View Full Version : Trouble swallowing

Ssparks26
08-01-2012, 10:28 AM
I have recently started having trouble with food getting stuck in my throat and I have never had issues swollowing pills but that has became an issue recently also was wondering if anyone else has this issue I go to the dr on Tuesday for a check up and was going to mention it to the dr but I don't have a sore throat.

magistramarla
08-01-2012, 03:16 PM
Hi Ssparks,
Trouble swallowing can be a symptom of some AI diseases. Do you have any dryness issues - dry eyes, nose or mouth? Those are common in Sjogren's and the dry mouth causes problems with swallowing.
Hugs,
Marla

jmail
08-01-2012, 09:36 PM
Thyroid issues can do it also, as can parathyroid stuff. Don't forget to tell the doc... write it down - now! lol |;^)

banga
08-01-2012, 10:20 PM
I have this problem too, too the point where i start to choke, i dont have thyroid probs, and i haven't been diagnoised with sorjeons, but i do have lupus and fibro just too name a few... Hope you are able to find out soon.xx

Danica01
08-02-2012, 02:04 PM
I do tooooooooo!!!!! I never really thought about it until the doctor at Mayo asked me about it and I told her. She did not elaborate on it at that time because we are going through the testing phase. I see her again on Monday so I will bring it up and see what she has to say and report back to all of you!!!!! I will actually choke at times. Do you have acid reflux too??? I have never had acid reflux and then all of a sudden two weeks ago it came on strong and it makes for a miserable nights sleep!!!!!

Ssparks26
08-03-2012, 07:45 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I do get acid reflux quite often.

Manderson
08-03-2012, 09:08 AM
I have laryingopharangeal reflux (LPR) and have been seeing ENT. I take Omeprazole for it and sometimes 1/2 an Ativan since it seems like it's stress related in nature. But I am being re-evaluated next week for Hashi's so perhaps it's not LPR afterall.

Hunniebun
08-04-2012, 05:58 PM
I have a hard time swallowing, and its both a medical and a mental problem. I choked as a kid and have the HM done on me and its haunted me since. I had acid reflux and I have difficultly swallowing food unless it is really chewed well, I even choke on liquids if I take too big of a gulp, and I can't for the life of me get anything whole to go down, so I have a pill grinder from the pharmacy and that's how I take my medications.

I am going into the hospital in November for some procedures and one of them will be widening my throat, which I didn't even have a clue was possible, so I'll find out if it helps me.