PDA

View Full Version : 23 and Me Genetic Testing

Derrie
07-20-2012, 06:09 AM
Hey, has anyone gotten genetic testing through 23 and Me, or a similar service? I'm totally intrigued by it. Not for diagnostic purposes or anything, but more out of sheer curiosity. Like, I've had at least two separate autoimmune disease. Do I have one of the genes that makes me more susceptible to AI? They also can identify if you have genes that make you react differently to certain medications and if you're a carrier of certain recessive genetic diseases that you could pass on to your children if your partner is also a carrier.

I don't freak out about information regarding my health (like, if the test says I have a 10% higher chance of developing XYZ disease, it's not going to change my reality), so I can't see the downside of doing this. Mostly, it just seems sort of fun.

But I'm curious has anyone done this? If so, your thoughts? Worth it? Fun? Overwhelming? Wish you could close the Pandora's box?

steve.b
07-20-2012, 07:05 AM
thet say 2% of lupus get it heredically......
so are you a 2% or just unlucky??????????????

could be fun

rob
07-20-2012, 08:39 AM
I first saw this subject and this specific testing outfit profiled on the PBS show NOVA, or maybe it was Frontline, anyway, it does sound interesting. I have both SLE and MS, and I've always wondered from a genetic standpoint, why. Why the two "biggies", so to speak.

Part of me is very curious, then there is another part of me that says just leave well enough alone, you've got enough to think about already...

An interesting topic to be sure!

Rob

Derrie
07-22-2012, 09:07 AM
I'm going to do it! I ordered a test kit. I will let y'all know what I think of the experience.

tgal
07-22-2012, 09:13 AM
Yeah, keep us posted!

I wouldn't want to do it. With all this that is going on with
me I wouldn't want to even know of a possibility of more! Lol

Derrie
07-22-2012, 10:53 AM
Yeah, Mari, I am okay doing this because I know I have a very laid-back approach to genetic disposition. I remind myself that a chance is just a chance. What will be hi-lar-ious is when I find out I have NO genetic predisposition to AI disease. That will confirm I just have really horrible luck.

I think the things that intrigues me the most is finding out if I am a carrier of certain recessive genes -- say, for cystic fibrosis -- that if my future husband (ha, ha, ha-- wishful thinking there) also carried, we would risk passing a recessive genetic disease on to our children (oh look, there's that wishful thinking again). I would definitely want to know if I carry something I could pass on-- that way I would have a heads-up regarding decisions about having kids.

I also wonder about things like the BRCA gene (breast cancer gene). If I find out I have that, my doctors and I might be more aware of cancer risk. Or, say I have a higher risk of developing Type II diabetes (something 23 and Me can pinpoint), I can make extra sure to eat healthy and avoid certain environmental triggers for the disease. I think the key with this sort of information is to only access it if you feel comfortable with the kind of knowledge you might uncover. I have a major fascination with the how and why of my body and my illness, so I am too curious not to try this, once I found out about it (though I have been thinking about it for months and only just decided to go ahead with it).

They also can link certain genes to reactions to drugs or drug effectiveness or ineffectiveness, which also interests me.

Anyhoo, I am volunteering (though no one asked me to) to be WHL's guinea pig for trying out 23 and Me's genetic profiling. I will gladly report back on if I find out anything interesting, helpful, shocking, etc.

magistramarla
07-26-2012, 10:33 PM
Hey Derrie,
This sounds interesting. I had genetic testing done by Athena Labs when the docs were suspecting that I had spinocerebellar ataxia, and they were looking at only very specific genes. It was incredibly expensive, but we were able to get the insurance to go for it.
Now, a new set of docs are wondering if my problems could be another genetic thing called Spastic Paraplegia. I would love to know if there is a genetic answer to any of this.
BTW, my daughter is going to participate in a study at NYU that will give her a full genetic work-up. They are studying people with high IQs and both Heather and her fiancee were asked to participate. She will receive a copy of all of their results, so we are very curious to learn what it shows.
LOL - her IQ number and mine are the same, so I wonder if they would want me for the study? I would love to get that free genetic work-up!
Let us know what you learn from yours.
Hugs,
Marla

Derrie
08-08-2012, 02:40 PM
This is neat! I got my 23 & Me results back today, which generally seem to indicate that I have great genes and bad luck. As I predicted. Actually, my last post above is frightening prescient of what I discovered:

For example, I have typical odds -- not increased at all -- of developing Hashimoto's. But I have that. And my odds for AI diseases like SLE and UC are just a tenth of a percentage point increased. I do, however, have a significantly increased risk of developing psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis, which I don't have. Of course, I understand that this is all an odds game-- you can be genetically pre-disposed to an AI disease or other condition and never develop it. Or not be predisposed and get it anyway.

I was pleased to find out that I do not have the genes that put me at the significantly increased risk for Alzheimer's or breast cancer.

I found out I have a genetic increased sensitivity to warfarin, and if I'm ever on that drug, I should start with a lower dose to prevent risk of excessive bleeding.

I was very, very surprised to find out that I carry a recessive cystic fibrosis gene, which means if I have children, I will definitely want my partner to be tested for this gene, since if we both carried it, a child would have a 25% risk of having cystic fibrosis (if I ever get a date, ha!). So that, to me, was worth the money right there. I honestly am very surprised I'm a carrier. No one in my extended family has cystic fibrosis.

Mostly, though, all this is fascinating. In a few days, the results as far as my ancestry (i.e., where my genetic line originated) will become available. I am enthralled-- science is cool!

If anyone has questions about my experience with this, as your humble guinea pig, I will do my best to answer!

steve.b
08-08-2012, 08:05 PM
glad all went so well.

modern science can be fun...... and fascinating.

Derrie
08-10-2012, 08:48 AM
Found out something pretty useful, though I could have guessed: I am of a genotype that does not produce enough of a certain enzyme to metabolize NSAIDs normally. Thus, I am more likely to develop GI problems, especially GI bleeding, when taking NSAIDs. This is especially interesting in light of the fact I have been having a lot of trouble with naproxen and had to stop it.

Which is too bad, since NSAIDs were so helpful.