PDA

View Full Version : Shingles vaccine

n.mac
07-18-2012, 07:58 PM
My younger brother just called to tell me he had an outbreak of shingles.(he is 49)

This got me wondering if I should get the vaccine to protect myself or if I am just asking for trouble!
I got really sick due to a reaction to a flu shot while on Imuron last fall and am leery of taking any thing new.

I feel sorry for my brother-when I was 6 and he was 4. I had inflamed tonsils that needed to come out
so off to the hospital we both go-me because I needed it and him because what the heck they gotta come out
sometime might as well save a trip.

I also remember coming down with chicken pox and not only was my brother sent to play with me but a couple
of the neighbor kids too! Apparently chicken pox parties were common back in the 60's.

Has any one had the vaccine? and if so any problems?

Thanks for your help! Niall

steve.b
07-19-2012, 02:39 AM
i know if the vaccine is with a live virus, it is not good for us.
you need to get one that is made with a dead one.

jmail
07-19-2012, 01:28 PM
I didn't know there was a virus for that... What if a person's had chicken pox before (like, 3 times even...)? I've also had a small shingles flare. Very painful does not describe it... Sort of like a combination of being on fire, and getting stabbed with a dull knife at the same time...

n.mac
07-19-2012, 05:11 PM
My understanding is that once you have had chicken pox-even decades ago you have the virus in you and are at risk for shingles.
I'm not sure what triggers shingles but from what I have heard I don't want to find out!

jmail
07-20-2012, 02:28 PM
I typed VIRUS??? I meant "vaccine" up there... lol = yeah n.mac, you def don't wanna get shingles. hurts like H E double-hockey sticks |;P...

In the meantime, I just saw a commercial on tv for the vaccine... imagine that. They wanna sell you a vaccine for everything... except lupus... tic