PDA

View Full Version : Bronchitis AGAIN.

debbie-b
07-18-2012, 03:31 AM
Been coughing for a week now, a dry hacking, painful cough, my ribs hurt from coughing so much. I finally went to my primary yesterday and yes, it is bronchitis.
The cough has kept me up, two nights in a row, it kept my husband up too.
He prescribed cough medicine with codein, antiboitics and prednisone 40 mg a day, for five days. The pred is for five days, without tapering. Is that normal?
Any way this morning at 5am I took two puffs of the Proventil ( asthma), two puffs of the Symbicort, two Antibiotics, two Prednisone and a spoonful of cough medicine. At six, I took two Flexeril and one Mobic, because I have a very bad back pain, I can't stand up straight.
I know, that many of you, get Bronchitis alot, is it a Lupus thing? The only time my asthma acts up, is when it is really humid and we had a week of very unusual humitity here in NY State and 97 degrees yesterday.
Anyway, I am glad that I am off work today, hopefully I am going to feel better by tomorrow.

Debbie

chikititalinda
07-18-2012, 07:29 AM
Bronchitis is HORRIBLE, I don't know if its a lupus thing or not, I know that I get it once or twice a year and i hate it! Feel better and get plenty of rest, good time to catch up on some reading or some reruns.

debbie-b
07-18-2012, 12:08 PM
Bronchitis is HORRIBLE, I don't know if its a lupus thing or not, I know that I get it once or twice a year and i hate it! Feel better and get plenty of rest, good time to catch up on some reading or some reruns.

Are you a smoker? Because my primary likes to blame it on smoking, but I have heard, that lupies get Bronchitis alot.
I also work with the public and have alot of people cough on me, yuck.
Btw, I don't feel sick, except for the bad coughing. It is getting a little better though.

Debbie

rob
07-18-2012, 12:43 PM
Hi Debbie,

I've never had bronchitis, but my mother, who also has Lupus, gets bronchitis alot. I was with her at one of her appointments, and her rheumo said it can be caused by the meds we take (immunosupressants, steroids), as well as from disease activity itself. Also, my PCP, who is pretty knowledgeable on the subject of autoimmune disorders, and on Lupus in particular, has told me the same thing.

Also, my Mom is a non-smoker, so that eliminates that possibility in her case.

Rob

jmail
07-18-2012, 03:00 PM
the last few years, I was getting bronchitis about every 6-8 weeks, constantly sick and on antibiotics. I've had pneumonia 3 times in 3 years. btw, be sure and do an extra probiotic for your tummy with the antibiotics. The antibiotics kill the "flora" in your tummy. Plus they'll help (the probiotics) with that sometimes unfriendly side effect of antibiotics where you crown yourself king or queen every few hours... (broken smilie for "surprise!") - My bronchitis' "main" instigator was suspected to be my CVID, which is low immunoglobulins in my blood with a 'B' cell defect. I'm sort of like a person on immunosupressant drugs, but "naturally" occurring. Long story shorter, the new rheumy says lungs can be attacked by the lupus, and that complications from it and the immunosuppressants are common. Tired & pulled muscles in the rib cage & back from the coughing are all to common for me... Good luck with it.

debbie-b
07-19-2012, 05:08 AM
Thanks for your input guys. You know, I understand, that smoking is not good for me, BUT I am tired, that it is being blamed for EVERYTHING. Especially when so many non smoking lupies get the same thing.
Shortness of breath, is another thing, many lupies have it, mine is being blamed on smoking.
I have cut down to 3-5 cigaretts a day and when I am ready, I will stop all together.
My rheumy does not blame it all on smoking, just my primary doc.

Debbie

chikititalinda
07-19-2012, 06:34 AM
Hi Debiie, I'm an ex smoker, haven't smoked in yrs,. When Doctors don't have an answer, and I find thats most often than not these days, they have to look for something to blame. Most of the time all of our symptoms are "oh, it's just a Lupus thing" So it's probably the same thing with your bronchitis now. Have you been to a pulmonery Doctor?

debbie-b
07-19-2012, 07:14 AM
I've got another question. Is it ok, not to taper prednisone? Because the doctor told me to take 40mg for five days and then stop. I always thought, you can't just stop, without tapering.

Debbie

chikititalinda
07-19-2012, 07:26 AM
Ive always been told to taper, but all doctors do things differently, besides five days its a very short amount of time where you probably don't need to taper I just dont know. you should always follow your doctors orders, and when in doubt call him and ask him. sorry If I wasn't much help.

jmail
07-19-2012, 01:46 PM
I've never done that much and NOT tapered... you might feel like kah-kah when you quit if you do it like that... I'd be tempted to do a 30 on day 5 and a 10 on a 6th day, but like chikititalinda says "doctor's orders"... maybe you could call the office and double-check that with the nurse.

debbie-b
07-19-2012, 02:29 PM
Ive always been told to taper, but all doctors do things differently, besides five days its a very short amount of time where you probably don't need to taper I just dont know. you should always follow your doctors orders, and when in doubt call him and ask him. sorry If I wasn't much help.

I actually asked him, when he told me and he said not to taper. Hopefully it goes well.

Debbie