PDA

View Full Version : Fine, just go ahead and take away all my joy, why don't you?

Derrie
07-12-2012, 10:24 AM
So I'm having what is feeling like the beginnings of acid reflux (gnawing pain under sternum and left breast, mostly in the morning), so I call my PCP's office, and to continue my naproxen use (which is my favorite thing ever, after Plaquenil), I'm supposed to up my omeprazole (Prilosec) to twice a day, somehow make my bed tilted, and stop drinking coffee and carbonated water (my absolute favorite) and stop eating chocolate.

No chocolate?!

That's it. This has gone too far.

running girl
07-12-2012, 12:45 PM
The man is a sadist!!

No Chocolate, for shame.

Good luck.

brenda

ritzbit2
07-12-2012, 01:39 PM
I'm bad, I never follow those rules....lol sometimes though my acid reflux gets so bad that I wake up with a green tongue, so then I have to start watching what I eat again :(

rob
07-12-2012, 01:59 PM
I just take the acid reflux, and eat/drink whatever the hell I want. (in moderation, of course)

I'm probably not setting a very good example, but I've had to give up enough already.

I refuse to give up my favorite foods and drinks.

Rob

Derrie
07-12-2012, 02:45 PM
Wow, do we all have acid reflux?

And yeah, I was appalled at the ban on carbonated beverages. I mean, I have a little machine at home that exists solely to carbonate water for my bubbly drinking pleasure.

But in all seriousness, I think I am going to have to find a balance instead of going cold-turkey on all my favorite things. Like, one cup of coffee, not two. No more chocolate in my desk, but I can still use it in baking. Limited fizzy water. I've already cut out beer -- beautiful, cold, hoppy craft beer -- from my life to keep my stomach happy and to avoid drug interactions. The rest I'll just probably limit and see how I do.

I rather agree with Rob here-- I have enough limitations as it is. They can take my beer, but they can't take my CHOOOOOCOOOOLAAAAAATE.

(Apologies to William Wallace.)

jmail
07-12-2012, 05:09 PM
Not the *chocolate*... No~...

I think most lupies have acid reflux 'cause of the meds, not the food... especially NOT the chocolate...

bunny28
07-12-2012, 05:12 PM
My mom recently shared the no chocolate thing with me after I was complaining of my acid reflux. IT SUCKS! I haven't actually been very good at not having chocolate. But lately the reflux has been worse despite or perhaps because of my meds. I may just have to try it...or at least start complaining about it.

Eat your chocolate and just don't complain too loudly. (or to the wrong person).
Bunny

rob
07-12-2012, 05:25 PM
They can take my beer, but they can't take my CHOOOOOCOOOOLAAAAAATE.

(Apologies to William Wallace.)

I just conjured up the mental picture of the grand inquisitor and his axe chopping a Cadbury Dairy Milk bar in half as a somber crowd of chocolate lovers look on in silent horror...

steve.b
07-12-2012, 07:46 PM
i have mentioned in anther post about bad bugs vs good bugs in our gut.

for some of us this can also cause acid reflux.
taking a tablet that kills all of the bugs, then taking probitics may help.

it will not help all acid reflux, but will if it is bug caused.
http://forum.wehavelupus.com/showthread.php?12091-I-B-S-relief

steve.b
07-12-2012, 07:51 PM
..... No more chocolate in my desk,.......

i have heard of closet drinking.......
but hiding in your desk???????

lol

magistramarla
07-12-2012, 09:39 PM
I'm with Rob on this....
Nobody would ever dare take my coffee away from me and live.
An occasional indulgence of dark chocolate is a must in my life.
I refuse to give up an occasional glass of wine - give me a break! - I live in wine country!
We swore off of all soda a couple of years ago, so I don't miss that. However, after living in San Antonio, I LOVE my spicy Mexican food, so I'm not giving that up, either.

It's the Plaquenil that gives me the acid reflux. I've tried to get off of the daily Prilosec, but that's not happening.
Like Steve, I take probiotics, eat yogurt daily and I drink an ounce of Aloe Vera juice every morning (it is bitter, so I mix in cranberry or pomegranate juice).
All of these things keep the acid reflux under control and I eat whatever I want.
Hugs,
Marla

Derrie
07-13-2012, 05:24 AM
i have heard of closet drinking.......
but hiding in your desk???????

lol

Oh my desk-stash of chocolate is legendary at my work.

Thanks, everyone, for the actual helpful advice to my tongue-in-cheek but honestly frustrated post! It's nice to have some things to try other than giving up all of my favorite things.

jmail
07-13-2012, 06:08 PM
I can't "hide" chocolate in my desk. they ain't no sech thang.

the temptation is too close and too strong... it's gone.

Hunniebun
07-14-2012, 02:45 PM
I have acid reflux too, I cough after every single thing I eat, no matter what it is. I've pretty much given up pop (soda) and very rarely have it, I don't eat much junk food and I WON'T give up chocolate, no way! lol. I don't get much chest pain in the way of reflux besides the lupus chest pain, just lots of coughing and phlegm.

Danica01
07-14-2012, 07:09 PM
OH my goodness. I have tried all of that before and you know what, life is to short to NOT snack on chocolate!!!!!! Ok, we can cut back a bit but to eliminate it all is toooooooooo much! I had my doctor tell me to not drink tap water or filtered water......I have to drink purified water out of a jug! That only lasted a month because all I drink is water and to by 9 jugs a week is enough to tucker anyone out. These good ole docs need to find some middle ground in this fight or we are all going to revolt!!!!!! Just to support you I am going to eat a Reese's Cup!

hntmcd
08-08-2012, 09:04 AM
Be careful not to take Previcid, Prilosec or and of these GERD durgs as they can cause osteoporosis. I have been on these meds for over 15 years and they have eaten my bones something terrible. I find Rolaids softchew work pretty good if its just an occasional thing for you. Tea, coffee and chocolate will aggravate GERD. I know its tuff when all we have are our simple pleasures like CHOCOLATE and GERD wants to take that from us to but please be careful on the GERD pills. I've paid the price.

Derrie
08-08-2012, 09:39 AM
Be careful not to take Previcid, Prilosec or and of these GERD durgs as they can cause osteoporosis. I have been on these meds for over 15 years and they have eaten my bones something terrible. I find Rolaids softchew work pretty good if its just an occasional thing for you. Tea, coffee and chocolate will aggravate GERD. I know its tuff when all we have are our simple pleasures like CHOCOLATE and GERD wants to take that from us to but please be careful on the GERD pills. I've paid the price.

This is a hard decision that I am faced with. Naprosyn caused me to develop some pretty nasty gastritis and maybe a peptic ulcer. So my doctor pulled me off naprosyn (the one thing that worked so effectively for my pain, sigh), upped my Prilosec to 20mg 2x/day, and has me trying Mobic 7.5mg 2x/day. But as long as I take NSAIDs like Mobic or Naprosyn for my pain, I have to take a proton pump inhibitor like Prilosec. And I know that they have side-effects if used long-term.

So this is driving me nuts. I need NSAIDs for the pain. Which then give me stomach trouble. For which I need Prilosec. Which can cause other long-term effects like osteoporosis (and the Synthroid I take can do a number on bone density, too). What do I do?! Suck up the pain and just take nothing for it, but suffer? Risk my future strong bones and general health? This is so stressful and confusing.

jmail
08-09-2012, 10:14 AM
some of those "antacid" thingies "pull" calcium from the bone, so a calcium supplement is sometimes called for, with a doctor's consult, of course. For me, prilosec type stuff caused joint inflammation, which made me take more nsaid, which caused more indigestion, which made me take more prilosec, which caused more joint inflammation, etc., etc., ad infinitum, ad nauseum... tic

LenaT14
08-11-2012, 07:38 PM
I agree here, I will suffer the consequences and keep right on eating chocolate! Caffeine and almost all alcohol I have given up but thats where I draw the line :-) I just started taking Nexium and it seems like its helped lots with the reflux. Its definitely all of the meds that cause my stomach issues especially the NSA IDs.... yuck!

panda_lupo
08-11-2012, 11:41 PM
Anyone else picturing Homer Simpson scene from the shinning were he has no tv and no beer make homer go
Crazy lol

Mica
08-13-2012, 01:45 PM
Good thing I don't really like carbonated beverages and coffee but I love chocolate, basically if my doctor tells me not to eat something I still eat it. Even though it doesn't help my acid reflux it's so worth it!!!

magistramarla
08-13-2012, 02:52 PM
I'm well aware that proton pump inhibitors (like Prilosec) can weaken bones. I already have Avascular Necrosis, so it really worries me. I've tried to get off of the Prilosec, but then the GERD got so awful that I couldn't function. Tums and Zantac didn't do a thing for me, either. Since my rheumy won't even discuss this with me, I just had to weigh the good with the bad and decided to continue the Prilosec. I have to eat.
Hugs,
Marla