PDA

View Full Version : So frustrated!

ritzbit2
07-11-2012, 03:16 PM
As of July 1st I switched from Humana to United Health for my insurance. So far they have not covered an antibiotic I tried to get and now won't cover the birth control I have been paying only $10 for, for the last three years through Humana. They want $60! Are you kidding me? Maybe thats not a big deal for people who aren't already spending more than that on pills every month. I'm so afraid that they aren't going to cover my important pills when I need to get them refilled next like my cellcept. What am I supposed to do? I am not paying that but can't not be on my birth control. I need it by this Sunday and am going out of town. I know my doctor won't give me a new script and my gyno said I would have to find someone else to give me birth control because she won't because I have lupus. How am I supposed to magically find a doctor who will get me in, and write me a new script in the next two days??

jmail
07-11-2012, 05:15 PM
Check and see how much of what you have for meds is on the $4 list at Wal-Mart (or is it Sam's Club?), and see if you can get any over to that. My insurance is through United Healthcare, but it's a corporate group insurance, so we get it relatively cheaply, though it just went up big time for our share, and for our copays, though still a bargain for a lupie. Our meds go through Medco, and some of my meds through them are *way* high, but others are great. I cannot do the $4 list though, without losing my other meds (rules), and have to pay my $30 copay for 90 days on most of those. The way a doctor writes the script can affect the cost sometimes too. 'Course, you're up against a "deadline" trying to get stuff by this weekend. I don't understand the issue with a gyno giving a lupie a script for birth control. You can get some of 'em free at our neighborhood high schools...

ritzbit2
07-11-2012, 05:31 PM
I have 8 prescriptions every month, all of them have always been $10. The only person working in my house right now is my step dad (my mom is getting a disability check through work thats only 60% of her pay) and we have 6 people in my house. Things are tight as is and we aren't going to be able to afford any of my pills if we have to pay more than $80 a month for my normal scripts, especially when I keep needing other ones for infections and the like. I'm so stressed out. My boyfriend said if I can't figure something out by tomorrow night he will help me pay for them just this month so I can get in to see a new gyno. I only saw mine once and she seemed new and young and under the impression that all women with lupus have bad reactions to birth control, even though I've been on it for 3 years without a problem and my rheumatologist gave me the ok on it. Hoping I can get this figured out before my vacation. My mom said I should just stop taking it and I was like, you do realize I NEED it right? Unless she wants grandkids already.

jmail
07-11-2012, 06:25 PM
My sister (who's a lupie) was put on birth control since she'd felt better when she was pregnant...

running girl
07-11-2012, 07:25 PM
Oh boy Ritz, that is stressful. Good luck!!

magistramarla
07-11-2012, 09:15 PM
Hey Ritz,
Will Planned Parenthood help?
This is such a shame. We women should not have to fight for what we need to stay healthy!
OK, I'd better get off of my soapbox before I get in trouble.
Take care of yourself.
Hugs,
Marla

Derrie
07-11-2012, 09:30 PM
Very good tip from Marla to check into Planned Parenthood. They can probably get you a free or low-cost supply of birth control to tide you over while you find a new gynecologist to take care of you long-term.

Mica
07-12-2012, 08:26 AM
PLANNED PARENTHOOD!! If you have it the one here was closed, which I strongly disagree with, stupid bible belt. Oh and for your cellcept you can get that for free through the company.

ritzbit2
07-12-2012, 01:28 PM
I have been aggravated on the phone for hours. Here are my options: 1) Spend $50 this month on my Ocella, and then starting next month start getting it through mail order for around $50 for a 3 month supply. 2) Switch to Yaz and pay $30 for it this month, and then starting next month get a 3 month supply for $30. 3) Say screw you to my insurance company and pharmacy and go to planned parenthood and get Yaz for $10. I personally like the last option the most, but I don't know how switching will affect my period and don't know how it will affect my chances of getting pregnant. The lady from planned parenthood said it was the generic and has the same level of hormones, but I know that generics are not always the same. What do you think?

magistramarla
07-12-2012, 09:58 PM
I've been seeing quite a few of those "bad drug" commercials about Yaz. There seems to be some dangers with taking it and there are some lawsuits pending.
Be very careful and make sure that you aren't at risk. I've heard that it is especially dangerous if you are a smoker, so don't smoke!
Man, it would be nice for those insurance companies to be required to provide BC without a cost.
Hugs,
Marla

ritzbit2
07-13-2012, 12:32 PM
Well the Yaz and Ocella are basically the same. I didn't want the problem of possible bleeding from switching though and want to get a new gyno before I switch to a new birth control. Me and my boyfriend came up with the $50 I ended up having to pay. (the $60 was because the pharmacy didn't have my new insurance info in right) I'm hoping when I find a new gyno they can put me on one of the ones my pharmacy will cover for only $10 a month, I just don't think I should switch to one my GP prescribed.