PDA

View Full Version : malar rash on arms??

wendya432
07-09-2012, 06:37 AM
Can you get the same type of malar rash on your arms?

About 3 weeks ago now I got a sunburn (after being in the sun for about an hour, after 5pm). It was horrible, hurt like you wouldn't believe, had blisters/lesions, peeled, etc. Crazy for the small amount of sun I got. After it went away, it keeps coming back. I've been avoiding the sun, wearing sleeves, using sunblock, staying inside until the late evening, and yet everytime I go outside when the sun is out, or when I take a shower, I get red again. Just my arms and chest, where I had the sunburn. Is this the same type of rash as the butterfly rash? Or is it just photo-sensitivity??? Not sure what to make out of it. It doesn't hurt or anything, just gets very flushed (except the white "strap-marks")

Derrie
07-09-2012, 06:49 AM
Hi, Wendy--

You can have a sun-sensitive rash on your arm, for sure. Check out Mayo's article on Polymorphous Light Eruption for an example of a sun-sensitive rash you can get on parts of your body: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/polymorphous-light-eruption/DS00911.

But you can't get a malar rash on your arms. A malar rash describes where the rash is, not what the rash looks like. "Malar" means "on the jaw or cheekbones," and thus a malar rash is, by definition, a rash across your face. You can check out wikipedia to read a good, basic definition of a malar rash: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malar_rash.

I know that doesn't completely answer your question, but I wanted to highlight the difference between malar rash and photosensitive rash.

Also, if this rash continues, I'd definitely go see a dermatologist. If it persists, they can biopsy it and get a better idea of what the rash is.

tgal
07-09-2012, 11:02 AM
Hi and welcome!

You can't actually get a malar rash on your arms but there are many types of rashes that you can get from Lupus. Derrie explained it well in the post above. I agree, I think a dermatologist is the way to go

wendya432
07-09-2012, 05:24 PM
Thank you for clearing it up! I think it is definitely a photo-sensitivity. Today I was fine, skin-wise. The only time I was in the sun was to go to Target and back, so just walking to and from the car, and then sitting in the car during the drive. I actually went to get more sunblock and a sunhat! And about an hour after I got home, my face felt so sore almost like a windburn feeling. I looked in the mirror and sure enough malar rash is back. Along with my arms and chest (that were covered today) are bright red again. I have an appointment tomorrow with my reg Dr so I'm going to bring it up for sure.

wendya432
07-10-2012, 07:18 AM
Of course, it occurred to me today when I looked in the mirror and I look like a lobster, that it could have been from the lights in Target, right?

Derrie
07-10-2012, 07:31 AM
Yep-- fluorescent lights can trigger a photosensitive rash! Evil, isn't it?

wendya432
07-10-2012, 09:10 AM
I think it's my own personal nightmare, and my husband's dream come true... I'm allergic to Target!! LOL!!

steve.b
07-10-2012, 07:28 PM
I think it's my own personal nightmare, and my husband's dream come true... I'm allergic to Target!! LOL!!

this may be a way to get people to accept lupus.

promote it as an anti shopping desease lol

jmail
07-11-2012, 05:24 PM
I'm alergic to shopping *AND* housework, but there's no flourescent lighting involved... but I manage |;^)

E42brchick
07-17-2012, 05:33 AM
Lol thanks for the laugh guys! I needed it.

magistramarla
07-17-2012, 10:03 PM
Yes, cooking a meal or doing laundry makes my cheeks burn. It seems to happen after any exertion. I wouldn't mind being allergic to doing laundry, but I love to cook, so that's not a good thing.
Hugs,
Marla