PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes i just want to stop all meds..

Tracyl50
07-07-2012, 04:26 PM
Do you sometimes want to stop all meds that you take to see what happened..im so tired of it all

debbie-b
07-07-2012, 08:40 PM
Hi Tracy,

All I can say is, " DON'T DO IT".
We have had several members who did it and all of them regret it. I do understand your thought though, we are all fed up with our meds.

Debbie

SleepyInSeattle
07-07-2012, 09:19 PM
I hate taking them - but I lost an ear to this stuff. It could have been a kidney, or my liver, or my brain. I feel lucky it was just an ear. (My hearing, not literally the ear, LOL...). if I don't take them, I could lose the other one. That scared the heck out of me, so I take the meds even though I hate them.

I have hope that new things will be developed - new treatments, etc - so I see the meds as temporary. It keeps me sane. Well, sane-ish. ;-P

If you are really unhappy or uncomfortable on your current meds, I'd encourage you to talk to your doctor about exactly WHY and HOW you are unhappy with them. It could be that there are some changes that can be made to make things more manageable for you - you never know until you ask! And it's important your doc know what you're going through.

I'm sorry they're bumming you out - and I can really sympathize. They are complicated, expensive, toxic, have lots of side effects, and dont even do that great a job at making us feel better - it pretty much sucks.

But in the end, it sucks less than the disease.....

tgal
07-07-2012, 10:29 PM
I am one of those members that have done it a couple of times. The first time by choice " I am sick of this" and after 3 weeks I went into a flare that lasted 6 plus months and couldn't stay out of one for long after. The second time was not long ago and the reason was because I couldn't afford the
. 3 weeks in I was not only flaring like crazy I ended up having my body attack a weak part (bowels) and my IBS turned into an IBD, AI Colitis ( which may be more serious but we won't know until Oct.

I know it is hard to take them all the time but I promise taking the
Is much better then what happens when you don't

Danica01
07-09-2012, 01:00 PM
I feel your pain and I am also one of the members who did it. I went to my doctor and said that I wanted to try holistic medication instead of all of the stuff they had me on. She was very reluctant and she told me that when it was time she would tell me the experiment would be over and we would need to go back on regular meds. It only took me a few months until the doctor told me to go back on the meds. I had no idea what the medicine actually helped with until I went off of it and I have to say that it was a HUGE mistake for me and my body. Nothing has ever felt as good as when I was previously on meds. I would suggest not to do it. Those meds you take that make you feel so bad are actually helping, I know it is hard to believe that but they do. If yours are making you extra uncomfortable just tell your doctor and there may be other goodies you can try!!!!

ritzbit2
07-09-2012, 01:56 PM
I did it and all that happened was me ending up on more meds because I got so sick when I went off them. I would not stop taking my meds again unless my doctor told me too.

Danica01
07-14-2012, 07:21 PM
I know it isn't funny but it does make me laugh that once we are on meds we eventually think our doctors are crazy. We think there is a mistake and we know better so we stop everything they told us to do. I have went back tot he doctor with my tail between my legs many time begging for the to start the medicine again!!!! I always try and remind myself of that when I start getting that feeling inside of me knowing best:-)

magistramarla
07-14-2012, 10:31 PM
I sort of have the opposite problem. My good rheumy back in Texas started me on meds and told me how important it is to keep taking them.
My new rheumy seems to think that I really don't need them, since her lab tests came back normal (can we say the meds are working?).
She has me down to only 200 mg of Plaquenil per day and nothing else. She always seems reluctant to renew my prescription, but I ask for one each visit.
She won't even listen to my list of recent symptoms, so I don't know whether I should be taking any other meds or not.
Thanks to this site, I know how important Plaquenil is and I take it every day.
Hugs,
Marla

jolynnhughes
07-22-2012, 02:27 PM
Marla,

Who was your "good rheumy back in Texas"? I am desperately in search of...and I live in the Dallas area. Any chance that good one was close to Dallas?

Jo

Tracyl50
07-24-2012, 08:15 AM
Sometime i want to stop and let nature take its action. i don't want to live a long life since i lost my child almost a year ago. So i sometimes if i stop the meds i will be with my son sooner.

SleepyInSeattle
07-24-2012, 08:50 AM
Tracy150, I can't imagine that kind of loss...there are no words. I know life will never, ever be the same for you...but I bet there are people who would suffer terribly at your loss. Every life has value - I hope you choose to protect yours! It is a difficult fight.

Sending you love and hope....

tgal
07-24-2012, 09:09 AM
Tracy150, I can't imagine that kind of loss...there are no words. I know life will never, ever be the same for you...but I bet there are people who would suffer terribly at your loss. Every life has value - I hope you choose to protect yours! It is a difficult fight.

Sending you love and hope....

I was at a loss of what to say because, like you, I would most likely feel the same way. Then I read the words above and thankfully those were perfect.

My thoughts are with you

jolynnhughes
07-24-2012, 11:37 AM
Tracy, don't give in! We will all stick together, and fight this fight. Imagine others who love you feeling the loss you feel for your son, should they lose you. Prayers for your healing, both physically and emotionally!

rob
07-24-2012, 02:07 PM
Hi Tracy,

We've spoken of your son Douglas before, and I thought of you both this past Memorial Day. I understand what it's like to lose someone to war. A lifelong friend of mine was KIA in Iraq back in December of 2007. I also understand what it's like to lose a family member, a person who meant the world to me. My Father died on March the 30th of this year. I was holding his hand when he took his last breath. I'm still struggling to comprehend and cope with his death.

I don't have many answers, because I'm searching for them myself still. But one thing that has had a profound affect upon me, is the realization of the fact that life is incredibly delicate, incredibly precious, and a one of a kind gift that needs to be protected at all costs.

You, and your life Tracy, are an incredibly precious and delicate thing. So many of the people we love have their lives tragically cut short, and it's a nightmare because there's not a thing we can do to change it. Other people, like myself a few years ago, make the choice of attempting to cut our own lives short because we cannot live with emotional and physical pain. I was lucky, I did not succeed. Now that I have a few years of hindsight, I can see that had I died, I would have missed so many wonderful, incredible things. New friends, new love, and new beginnings even though I had no hope for any of these things.

The option to end things far sooner than they should be ended, is an incredibly bad option. I've been there, and I can tell you it's not the answer.

Please, if nothing else, know that your life is precious and delicate, and that there are people in this world who love you, and those people would really, really miss you.

I know it's far easier said than done, but please, hang in there,

Rob

steve.b
07-25-2012, 02:41 AM
tracey, i too understand your pain.

i have watched my parents come to terms with loosing a daughter in a horrible murder.
i have felt the loss of a sister.

when in the military, i had a couple of friends taken by war.

remember that your son went to war to protect your style of life.
honour him by remembering his deeds.
i think of him and his sacrifice.
he would not want you to give up.
we are here to help where we can.
please now you can pm me ANYTIME

Tracyl50
07-25-2012, 08:06 AM
all í want is my son back..so i could never be happy again.. how can i? my son was my life. the day he died is the i died also..

Tracyl50
07-25-2012, 08:07 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIf15mcOLyM&feature=plcp
i hope you can view this...

Tracyl50
07-25-2012, 08:12 AM
here is another video. please share so people will know this young soldier.. i don't want anyone to forget him it would mean a lot to me if you have Facebook and you will share my videos..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLAzW3iNU5M&feature=channel&list=UL

rob
07-25-2012, 09:06 AM
Both of your links work just fine, and I watched both presentations. They made me laugh, and cry.

Doug's sense of humor really shines in so many of those photos.

I don't usually find myself at a loss for words. I'm sorry he's gone.

jmail
07-25-2012, 09:20 AM
Thank you Tracyl50 for raising your son to love his country. We'll help others remember him, but you have to keep helping also. He needs an advocate here. We have to support our troops AND their families, whether the soldier is active or not, but especially our heroes and their families who have given all. Have you been in contact with any military support groups? I have no idea how good they are, but there are groups like Operation: We Are Here, among others out there that are not military-based. Do you have anyone you can call to help you make contact with support? If not, let me know and I'll call my nephew who is active Army, and see what he's got...

Edit: "Ditto" for what Rob said. The vids help me appreciate you and your son both even more.

magistramarla
07-26-2012, 09:30 PM
Marla,

Who was your "good rheumy back in Texas"? I am desperately in search of...and I live in the Dallas area. Any chance that good one was close to Dallas?

Jo

Jolynn,
Sorry that I've just now seen this - I had a house full of company. We lived in San Antonio, and my great rheumy was Emily Pineda.
I'm not looking forward to moving back there to the awful heat next year, but I am looking forward to going back to Dr. Pineda and my great PCP, Dr. Anson.
Hugs,
Marla

magistramarla
07-26-2012, 09:37 PM
Tracy,
I'm a military wife and mother, and I know that there are groups who can help on or near bases. Find the nearest military base and ask to see a chaplain or someone who coordinates such groups. You might also check with the nearest VA office.
Please try to stay involved with life. Your son deserves to be remembered and you're the best person to see that he is.
Hugs,
Marla

Tracyl50
07-28-2012, 08:07 AM
the closest is to far for me to drive to. where i live there isn't anything here.. and my outreach guy is a strange one..and i dont think anyone can help with me grief. can they.. i lost my only child and its killing me inside…

debbie-b
07-28-2012, 08:47 AM
the closest is to far for me to drive to. where i live there isn't anything here.. and my outreach guy is a strange one..and i dont think anyone can help with me grief. can they.. i lost my only child and its killing me inside…

There is no way, that I could know, what you are going through, I can't even imagine. I wish there was something, I could say or do, to help you somehow, but like you said, there is nothing anyone could say or do. All I can do is pray for you.
Where in NY do you live?

Debbie

LindaJ
08-03-2012, 09:45 PM
Interesting you should mention Plaquenil. Currently, I have had some retina problems. My retina has been having problems for many years but only things my opthamogist can see when he dialates my eyes. But three months after I began Plaquenil, I now see shadows in dim light and funny sparklers when I forget my sunglasses. I have wondered lately if I should be on Plaquenil with my other retina problems. Maybe it is exasperating my problems. I have also started to take one less pill a week to see if that would effect me. It's been only 2 weeks now. so far ok. I want to talk to my rhemy when I see him next week about this.

Miraid
08-04-2012, 12:48 AM

Tracy, i am military and if you are your sons next of min, meaning hes not married then you have survivors benefits from the military. You can contact someone via telephone to put you in contact with a chaplain. Try ftdrum.army.mil or drum.army.mi

Im sorry for your loss