PDA

View Full Version : swelling black and blue fingers

lynday
07-04-2012, 07:34 PM
Hello everyone,
Happy 4th of July. I hope everyone was able to get out and celebrate with good family and friends. Of course on this 4th of July I came accross another symptom that once again reminds me that i have this condition. After searching the web for answers, I thought noone would understand my condition more than this support group. I'm going to try to explain this best as I can. This morning I woke up and I was fine. I always check to see if i have broken into a rash or if i have something new on my body. I was happy to see I was all clear. My phone rang i answerd it and as i was talking i noticed my pointer finger started to itch. I left it alone and did not scratch it. Than i noticed it started to swell up and turn blk and blue as if i slamed it some where. Now i can promise you all i did not hurt my finger. I watched it turn colors. All day it has been blk and blue and swollen. This has happened before but, I always thought i did something to myself. I never knew what i did but now i'm undestanding that for no reason my fingers bruise. Has anyone gone through this? If so what is this and how do I explain to dr. without him thinking i bruised or hit my finger.
Ok that was an earful . ty for reading.
xoxoxox
LynDay

ritzbit2
07-04-2012, 08:50 PM
The first thing that came to mind for me was Raynauds, but if it happened very suddenly it could be a different vascular problem in your hand. Did it look like this? 4799

lynday
07-05-2012, 04:26 AM
Hi ritzbit,
Ty for reading and answering. No, my finger does not look like that. It's blk and blue in the middle where u bend your finger. It does look like the vein is broken like a broken vessel. I have had this before but never paid much attention. But when I saw how my finger just turned blk and blue out of nowhere yesterday. I started to get. Concerned. It all started with a little itch. Like I said before I was very careful not to touch the finger. I wanted to see what would happen and the result was a blk and blue finger. So weird and a little scarey! Ugh!
Thanx for helping!
Lynday

debbie-b
07-05-2012, 05:36 AM
I don't know, if this is the same, but I get " exploding" arteries on my fingers, out of nowhere, it hurts like crazy, swells up and is black and blue for a couple of days. Do you think, yours is the same?

Debbie

lynday
07-05-2012, 06:24 AM
Yes! What do u do for this? Is it dangerous? Is there a name for this condition? Is it blood clotting? Or is it harmless and nothing to worry about?
I know so many questions
Thanx Debbie
Lynday

debbie-b
07-05-2012, 07:46 AM
I don't think it's blood clotting, my rheumy is just shrugging his shoulder. It must not be dangerous, because I get it quite often. I don't do anything for it.

Debbie

lynday
07-05-2012, 08:30 AM
ty debbie.....

jmail
07-05-2012, 01:38 PM
Vaculitis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasculitis) should be checked-out. I'll "bruise" out of nowhere, usually on the thigh or calf, and I'll end up with what looks like a mess of varicose veins when it finally finishes with the "bruise" after a few weeks. I forget the blood test they run (it's a common one most of us get anyway) to see what you're doing (too much to remember) - it might be mentioned in one of the "stickies", come to think of it - It can be scary looking, but not be a *real* issue, or it can be serious, especially if you're doing it internally (which I'm not now) in like your lungs or kidneys or some other important body part. Not to panic, but check into it for sure for that "just-in-case" factor.

ritzbit2
07-05-2012, 05:40 PM
My vasculitis never had anything like that but I have seen pictures of it that look like big bruises. I got a lot of tiny red dots all over the affected skin, and the skin was irritated and somewhat itchy. I do think that it wouldn't hurt to have that looked into. Basically vasculitis is inflammation of your blood vessels, which can cause them to repture. My red dots, or a bruise, is that blood spilling out into the skin. For me I was in a bad flare that caused it, and it affected my muscles so my CPK and LDH were very elevated. I don't know however if those are the tests usually used to help determine if its vasculitis.

Mica
07-05-2012, 10:46 PM
Ive had that happen to me before, didn't even realize it until I noticed it. If your seriously worried talk to your doctor sometimes having that peace of mind is best.

lynday
07-06-2012, 05:09 AM
Hello,
Thank you all so much for putting my mind at ease. I am going to the dr on Tuesday so I'm hoping to get some answers. The vascular veins sound like a good start. It's three days later and my finger is still blk and blue! As like we all do not have enough on our plates, that when something ubnormal happens and we panic, it's nice to know people in this forum have ur back. Ty to all!
Xoxoxox
Lynday

runnergirl68
07-09-2012, 08:15 AM
I have had this happen too. My finger will itch and then all of a sudden it'll start burning and turn black and blue, I did ask my doctor about it and she said it was nothing to be concerend about. Hope you get some answers.

lynday
07-09-2012, 07:08 PM
im going to dr. tomorrow. As if blk and blue fingers are not enough to deal with. I feel like my wrist is clicking when i move it. I also have great pain in my thumb, like a bone is sticking out. i feel like my hands stiff up and my neck hurts...UGH!!! how old am i????

jmail
07-11-2012, 04:52 PM
wierd, ain't it? they call me "Rice Krispies" at work, 'cause when I walk by, I'm going "snap, crackle, pop". 'Course, I'll add in the ocassional "boom" from walking into the doorway... lol - Try to get in the habit of writing things down on a list that you want to talk to the doc about. If you're like me, you'll get "brain fog" the day of the visit, and the doc will come and ask, "How you doin'?", and you'll say "I'm just fine." and the doc will go, "'K, see you in a few months! Bye!!!"... |;^)