PDA

View Full Version : The NPS community loses a hero and good man

magistramarla
07-02-2012, 03:42 PM
This morning our Naval Postgraduate community received the news that our Dean of the school was killed in a jet-skiing accident in Florida yesterday.
Here's a link to a news article about him: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/48043840/ns/technology_and_science-space/t/ex-astronaut-alan-poindexter-dies-jet-ski-accident/#.T_IhnMVXWxY

Alan Poindexter, whom we all called Dex, was an ex-astronaut, and the assignment here at NPS was going to be his last before he was set to retire from the Navy. I've been friends with his wife Lisa in our Spouses' Club, and Jeff and I have gotten to know them at social events since they arrived here.

What the article doesn't say is that the son Sam, who was on the jet ski with Dex is severely disabled and the older son, Zach is fiercely protective of his little brother. It seems that Dex was letting Sam steer and the jet-ski had stalled out, and that Zach ran into them. I know that this is terribly hard on poor Zach.
My heart is aching today for Lisa and her sons.
I've had a few good crys today.

Hugs to all my friends,
Marla

rob
07-02-2012, 05:10 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this news Marla. Coincidentally, my parents flew down to Florida in April 2010 to tour the Kennedy Space Center and to watch the launch of the space shuttle Discovery for the STS-131 mission. Alan "Dex" Poindexter was the commander of that mission. That was his second time in space.

He had an amazing career, and by all accounts, was a highly respected leader, and a true professional in everything he did. If you have the opportunity, please pass my family's condolences on to his family.

Rob

debbie-b
07-03-2012, 04:46 AM
That is so sad. My thoughts are with you and his family.

Debbie

jmail
07-03-2012, 07:33 PM
Condolences from our family to yours and the naval family's, Marla. Tomorrow is July 4th, and we should all remember all the military families anyway, but we'll be thinking and praying extra for you guys, Marla.

BonusMom
07-03-2012, 09:44 PM
I'm so sorry for the loss that the family is suffering through, as well as yourself and Jeff. The grief must be just overwhelming.

tgal
07-03-2012, 11:02 PM
My thoughts are with his family and friends. I am so sorry for your loss