PDA

View Full Version : Fatigue and working out

redstringsoul
07-02-2012, 09:59 AM
I'm currently 80+ pounds overweight. One of my biggest fears is the possibility of taking prednisone somewhere down the line and gaining even more weight.
So I'm trying to lose weight now to sort of "prepare" for the possibility of taking prednisone and associated weight gain. Dealing with fatigue on a daily basis
is just getting worse. Anyone have an recommendations on what kind of aerobic exercise they're able to tolerate? For awhile I was doing modified Beach Body
workouts (P90X, Turbo Fire, etc.) but then I had a pretty bad flare that sort of knocked me on my butt for awhile and it's been hard to get back in the groove :(

Mica
07-02-2012, 12:30 PM
I'm currently 80+ pounds overweight. One of my biggest fears is the possibility of taking prednisone somewhere down the line and gaining even more weight.
So I'm trying to lose weight now to sort of "prepare" for the possibility of taking prednisone and associated weight gain. Dealing with fatigue on a daily basis
is just getting worse. Anyone have an recommendations on what kind of aerobic exercise they're able to tolerate? For awhile I was doing modified Beach Body
workouts (P90X, Turbo Fire, etc.) but then I had a pretty bad flare that sort of knocked me on my butt for awhile and it's been hard to get back in the groove :(

Try to find something that is more suited to your needs, like your joint pain. If you have access to a swimming pool that be a good workout

Hunniebun
07-02-2012, 08:26 PM
I would say that P90X is WAY too intense. Even P90 can be hard on people like us, so what I would suggest is Yoga at your own pace. It is good to stretch AND you can also lose weight doing it.

LenaT14
07-02-2012, 08:54 PM
Hey there! I have gained weight since becoming sick in Feb and having to stay away from the gym and I am miserable at my current weight.....I have investigated this same topic and have concluded that water aerobics of some sort and Yoga are the most beneficial and easy on your joints. When im in pain I could care less about eating healthy and in combo with meds, ohh its nooo fun!

steve.b
07-03-2012, 02:53 AM
i am known for going slightly over the top, when i research stuff.

i checked out quite a few different types of exercises, and which ones are suitable for lupies.

in my limited studies (lol), it would appear that aqua arobics, (when done slowly), not the fast style.
is one of the best forms of overall exercise available.

the main reason is that when we suspend our body in water, it is not load bearing.
this enables us to slowly move and still gain good results.

i went onto youtube, and downloaded a few exercises.
i would reccomend trying this type of exercise.

please remember correct style does more good than mere repetition.
slow and steardy ..... then build up the reps as required.

i wish you luck !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ruziska
07-03-2012, 09:37 AM
I agree with Steve, water aerobics is a great form of exercise that is easy on the body. Just make sure you do them in an indoor pool!! A lot of cities with pools offer water aerobics classes specifically for people with medical conditions, some of them require a note from the doctor to join. Sometimes too, if the doctor prescribes it, the water aerobics is considered a medical necessity and may be covered by insurance.
I, too, need to lose a few pounds. Unfortunately the classes offered here are during work hours and I don't have enough sick leave saved up so... I'm going to get some ankle and wrist weights and wear them for a bit more resistance and hope that helps. I really should wear my pedometer at work as I'm always zipping up and down the halls...

Samo
07-03-2012, 10:00 AM
Hi redstringsoul,

I remember when I emailed a description of P90X to my rheumy to see what she would say because I wanted to do the 90 day program. She said "hmm, sounds way too intense, stick with low impact exercises". Since I am pretty hard-headed I went ahead and started the P90X anyway. At the time I had swollen joints and so had to modify the exercises a lot. On days where I felt better I did a little more and on days that were bad I modified.

The key to exercising is to listen to your body. Doing P90X, Turbofire or any other workout is about making it work for YOU. There are times when I have been in so much pain that the only exercising I could do was gentle stretching and so that is what I did. Don't get discouraged, weight fluctuations happen to all of us, particularly due to medications. I know you will be back in the groove, even if it is a slow groove to start (smiley face)

Samo