PDA

View Full Version : Sore shoulder

Furrydog
06-30-2012, 01:34 PM
My shoulder is very very painful :(. Have tried pain killers and accupressure. Heat pads are helpful but am only supposed to use them for 15 minutes at a time.

I wanted to keep my arm in a sling so that I couldn't move it as any movement is sore, but the doctor said that I should try to move it as much as possible.

I could barely lift my arm at first but can now lift it with my other arm to 90 degrees if I move it very slowly.

Any suggestions?

cyberqueen
07-01-2012, 08:42 AM
Did your doc do any imaging ? Have they ruled out (or diagnosed you with) Rheumatoid, Osteoarthritis or other disorder (rotator cuff, impingement syndrome, etc). I would assume if you've already tried pain killers and acupressure, imaging has already been performed to rule out/ diagnose.

Without knowing more about what the cause of the pain is, and assuming there aren't any other contraindications to range of motion, continuing to move it is the best thing to do. I am probably a little hypersensitive to shoulder issues right now; I had a right shoulder replacement a little over 3 weeks ago. I don't know if it helps, but here is a brief history that led to my replacement. I started having right shoulder pain a year or so ago. I fell down the stairs in October 2011 and broke my coccyx and banged up my shoulder pretty bad. They did xrays at the urgent care and I was told I had "some spurs" but it wasn't anything major and some people do start getting spurs in their 40s (I'm 48 now).

My shoulder woke me up most nights but I'm a workaholic who never rests and has Lupus for over 20 years so I expect things to hurt! Around March, my left shoulder also started waking me up at night and I found myself getting less and less sleep. I lived with it - continued to blame it on my schedule and SLE. By May, the pain became unbearable. I got bilateral steriod injections that didn't work. They decided to do more extensive xrays and found severe osteoarhtritis, joint space narrowing, bone spurs and bone cysts. In order to help with pain, I tried oral steroids (medrol dose pack), Mobic, Toradol shots, you name it. Nothing helped. I saw the orthopedic surgeon in the middle of may and CT showed severe bone erosion of my humerus on the right side. They did the replacement june 6. Since the left is also showing erosion (but not as bad as the right), the left shoulder is next.

I don't mean to scare you - just hope that you make sure you get imaging to make sure there isn't something worse going on. My surgery was far more extensive than my doc thought it would be - ended up relocating muscles and tendons so now my rehab is just loads of fun ! I'm actually doing really well but it is not an easy recovery. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

Furrydog
07-01-2012, 12:33 PM
Actually I have had no imaging. I have seen the doctor and the physiotherapist though. I think because I have had other joint pains before with normal x rays they decided not to image me. The other joints have been imaged with MRI which were reported as 'likely lupus arthropathy' while the x rays of the same joints were 'normal'.

magistramarla
07-02-2012, 01:58 PM
Furrydog,
My shoulders get sore and achy, too. The best thing that I've found is the therapeutic massage that I get twice a month.
Hugs,
Marla

cyberqueen
07-03-2012, 12:03 PM
Marla i'm with you....there is nothing like a good massage! :-)