PDA

View Full Version : He Flipped His Lid!

BonusMom
06-25-2012, 05:03 AM
As some may know, my DH is an open wheel racer. Excitedly, he was racing at a "new" track on Saturday night. The banking was terrific on this asphalt baby, the conditions were perfect. He'd finally gotten the kinks ironed out from changing weight ratios due to a new motor (thanks to a really spendy shock). In the practice sessions he was flying past the asphalt cars. Yep, this combo car was finally ready to bring home the big payday.

Superman began accelerating for the first lap of his two laps of qualifying when the car began to fishtail. He saved it from hitting the concrete retaining wall, but suddenly the left rear tire caught something and the car flipped, and flipped, and flipped.

Superman was extracted (not an easy feat when you're nearly 6'7 and strapped in) and transported to the local hospital. When I was able to finally see him at bedside his first words to me were "How bad is the car?". A true race car owner/driver!

Thankfully, no injuries other than bruising and soreness. Oh, and the car (yes Rob, this is especially for you), merely a crushed air filter/cleaner, a couple of loose things to be fastened down, some paint and the panhandle bar that broke-which caused the accident.

And yes, he'll be back at the track next Saturday and ready to slay the dragons. This time on dirt. Yee haw!

rob
06-25-2012, 05:59 AM
Holy s**t! I'm glad he's OK. Those sprint cars like to bounce around sometimes. Probably one of the reasons I prefer racing in a strait line...

Anyway, I'm glad all is well.

Rob

PS-LOL @ "panhandle bar"!

Saysusie
06-26-2012, 10:24 AM
Wow, I am glad that he was not hurt and that the car has survived. It is amazing what we will do in order to continue to participate in the things that we love!!
So glad he is OK!

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

steve.b
06-27-2012, 04:31 AM
i am a mechanic.
i have played with my share of fast vehicles.
including a twin rocket powered motorbike,
and a rocket powered gocart. (see my photos)

the great thing about this accident is the engineering.

the car was built to a very strict safety standard.
for the driver (superman) to walk away from a roll over is amazing, but expected with this car.

i am glad all went to plan, safety wise.
hope safety is not required for next week.

magistramarla
06-28-2012, 01:13 PM
BonusMom,
Wow, I'm glad that he's OK. Family members being involved in dangerous sports worries me. I even worry about Jeff riding his bike in traffic, and I really worry about Tom and his mountain-bike racing. If Jeff was in an accident like Superman, they would be hauling me off to the hospital, too.
You're a strong woman, my dear.
Hugs,
Marla