PDA

View Full Version : *Waves*

sassyNerd
06-21-2012, 09:04 PM
Hello all, I am in my late 20's and was diagnosed with lupus for a few months now.

I am actually trying to lose weight, yeah I know, crazy huh? Lol, no, but I also have PCOS, and hypothyroidism so I think at least one of those should get better if I lose the weight : ).
I went through a LOT of pain before I realized it wasn't just muscle aches and should go to the doctor, they took a while to know what it was, but finally they diagnosed me.
I felt really enraged, and I am now in the "ok well I am not gonna let it rule my life"-stage.

My pain is still there a little, specially when it's cold, but I deal with it, my live is inflamed so I don't want to take any anti-inflammatories if I can help it.

So here I am, I didn't know this forum existed and I am happy to find others who understand what I am going through...

steve.b
06-21-2012, 11:41 PM
hi and welcome.
please read a few of the older posts.
they are our personal experiences with lupus.

kim,l
06-22-2012, 06:34 AM
hello and welcome whl family

sassyNerd
06-22-2012, 07:08 AM
Thank you all, I will make sure to read that!

rob
06-22-2012, 08:03 AM
Hi SassyNerd,

Welcome to our group!

Rob

PS-You're a sassy nerd, and I'm a sci-fi geek! Birds of a feather...

sassyNerd
06-22-2012, 08:17 PM
Thank you Rob! I suppose we flock together huh? What sci-fi do you like? I love Star Trek, but also like Star Wars : ).

rob
06-23-2012, 04:31 AM
Thank you Rob! I suppose we flock together huh? What sci-fi do you like? I love Star Trek, but also like Star Wars : ).

I'm into Star Trek and Star Wars too. I'm also into Battlestar Galactica (the re-imagined version), and ALIEN (Prometheus was awesome). I collect toys, models, figures and props from all of them. It's fun stuff. Makes me feel like a kid again, and helps me temporarily forget about all the autoimmune stuff. In my former life, I had the opportunity to built a couple of guns that were used in the first Matrix film. Got to be on set for a day. It was sci-fi Nirvana.

Rob

Derrie
06-23-2012, 07:10 AM
Battlestar Galactica-- yes!

And no nerdy discussion should fail to mention Buffy the Vampire Slayer. In my opinion.

(Welcome, Sassy!)

tgal
06-23-2012, 04:50 PM
Hi Sassy. Welcome to WHL! We are really glad to have you. Please make yourself comfortable and feel free to ask any questions that you may have

cyberqueen
06-23-2012, 05:14 PM
You've found the right place! I'm a newbie too and have found everyone to be helpful, understanding, supportive and very informative. Looking forward to getting to know you!

magistramarla
06-24-2012, 10:05 PM
Hi SassyNerd,
Welcome to WHL. I'm another SciFi fan. I love any Star Trek movie or show. I'm also a huge fan of Dr. Who. If our TV is on, it's a safe bet that it is either a SciFi show or a cooking show (that's me - the cook of the family).
My daughter has PCOS. Are you taking Met Formin (sp?) for it? She was taking that, and after finding that she is gluten intolerant, she drastically changed her diet. She lost a lot of weight and got lots healthier. She was also taking fertility treatments and it finally worked. She will have a baby girl in October. She has a 13 year old son already.
I look forward to getting to know you. We nerds should stick together, right?
Hugs,
Marla

sassyNerd
06-25-2012, 12:35 PM
Nerds should always stick together Marla! I love Battlestar Galactica! Gah huge nerd, I even bought the tabletop game, but there are only so many things I can buy without giving up the food budget, lol.

They only put me on birth control since my PCOS seemed to be minor, to be honest, my doctor just recommended that I lose weight, so I have been on a food plan for myself for a while, recently I started counting calories with the help of one of those free apps for your phone, so far it's helping me stay full and not hungry, turned out I was eating half the calories I was supposed to! I was very enraged at myself for that, I figure if I lose weight that should at least help the PCOS.

Gah rob, that sounds awesome! Jealous! I loveee the Matrix, watch the trilogy almost always once a year! I have to say, I have been meaning to watch Star Trek DS9 for a while, I don't think I was giving it a chance, my favorites are TNG and Voyager.

Thank you to tgal and cyberqueen and everyone else who welcomed me, I am glad to have found this forum, good to know all of us nerds!