PDA

View Full Version : Maybe this is a stupid question...

Sheryl
05-20-2006, 03:53 PM
I was diagnosed with lupus based on the fact that my Anti ds DNA test was positive. I was told, and have read, that over 95% of people who test postive for this antibody have lupus so it seems a pretty clear indicator.

My stupid question is if this test is so specific, why don't more doctors seem to be using it? I am reading here about so many people trying so hard to find out if they really do have lupus... wouldn't the anit-DNA test be a way to find out?

Does anyone else understand this better than me?

Missy
05-20-2006, 06:56 PM
Well, I think it's a bit more complicated than that since Lupus is a complicated disease. The anti double stranded DNA would not be positive for all "lupies."

For example, my anti-ds DNA has always been negative, even when my sed rate was sky high and I had diffuse proliferative lupus nephritis with 4+ grams of protein in my urine and creatinine of 1.9 and a hct of 25. Things were so bad that I couldn't work for a year.

I thing all the variations of the disease are what makes it so tough to diagnose. Not one test is the same for all people with Lupus.

Sheryl
05-21-2006, 02:55 PM
I see what you mean. Just because 95% of the people who have a postive DNA have lupus, it doesn't mean that 95% of people with lupus will have a postive DNA. I was never too good with those math story problems!

tbritt
06-07-2006, 08:05 PM
Hi Sheryl! My antiDNA was negative, but all signs indicated Lupus. I have to admit that I wish it had been positive, just so I could finally say without a doubt that yes, I have Lupus. I get so tired of testing and retesting and doubting myself and my doctors. I thought that the antiDNA was a definitive test-a simple yes or no. No such luck, I feel like I am playing hide-and-seek with this darn disease. So many people here talk about how long it takes to get a diagnosis. When the rheumie told me the test was negative, I thought there was hope that I didn't have Lupus. Now I have to see a dermatologist for some biopsies-oh boy-will the fun ever stop? :roll: I'm just glad to know that there is somewhere that I can vent and actually be understood!!

Mitch
06-23-2006, 09:03 PM
Hi Sheryl, I, too, have a positive anti-dsDNA. The way it was explained to me was that the ANA test is sort of a 'marker' test. The anti-dsDNA sort of confirms the dx of lupus because it is sort of 'specific to lupus.' As others stated, though, not all lupies will have a positive. But if it IS positive, it pretty much is lupus, and helps rule out the other collagen (sp?) vascular diseases.

Same as you, I was dx'd very quickly based on those 2 tests being positive right from the start.

Mitch