PDA

View Full Version : Insomnia

Meg
05-19-2006, 11:26 PM
I just read a post about taking the prednisone and having insomnia. I didn't realize that was a side effect of it....I am WIDE awake and not feeling well. Should I tell the dr. that I prefer not to take it or what? Suggestions anyone????

Missy
05-20-2006, 03:24 PM
I think you have to decied if the benefits outweight the drawbacks. Is it insomnia every night? Can you make up the sleep by napping? That's what I did when I was on high doses, knowing that eventually I would get lowered doses, when I got better. Definitely something to discuss with your Dr. It's always good when they know what side effects are affecting you.

Sheryl
05-20-2006, 03:56 PM
Well, I hated the insomnia and couldn't wait to get off the pred, but the latest flare I am having made me go back begging for more prednisone, insomnia is a small price to pay. I found I would wake up around 2 or 3 every night so I have just started going to bed earlier, so even if I do wake up at 3 I've at least had 5-6 hours of sleep.

I also think that letting your body take several weeks to adjust to a new medication is worthwhile, some side effects may not last after the initial adjustment.

Meg
05-20-2006, 05:12 PM
Thanks! I took a 3 hour nap this afternoon. I am hoping I didn't wait too late to do it because I want to be able to sleep tonight. I have felt better today. However, I am feeling pretty crappy at the moment. I look forward to getting to know all of you so I won't be alone through this.

AngelaS
05-20-2006, 07:24 PM
I have insomnia also with the predinisone. The only problem I ran into was without good sleep I felt even worse during the day. My rheumy gave me Ambien to sleep at night. I was leary at first, but began to realize that when I took it, I would sleep 6 hours of good sleep and it did help. Some people may be against taking sleeping medication, but this is only while I am on the prednisone. This is just another idea if the naps don't work for you. Good luck!!!!

Sheryl
05-21-2006, 02:59 PM
I got some Ambien too. I found it only gave me about 3-4 good hours before I woke up again, so my technique was to wait until I woke up at 2 and then take it.