PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on consoling my sister

mac336
06-05-2012, 02:10 PM
My sister was diagnosed with systemic lupus a couple of months ago. Her rash is pretty bad and is getting worse--huge butterfly rash covering almost her entire face; arms have those coin lesions all over and on the legs as well. I didnt ask her if she had them anywhere else. She tries to hide it, but I catch her occasionally crying to herself because she is upset over her appearance.

Anyway, I dont really know what I can do or say to her and I have no idea what she can do to help her rashes. She had an upcoming doctors appointment in a couple of weeks, but in the meantime does anyone know if she will have to deal with the rash for the rest of her life, or will it atleast come and go?

Any advice on what I can do to make her feel better would be helpful; or if anyone has had terrible rashes that have went away, it would be comforting knowing that its possible it might go away (for a short time atleast)

Mica
06-05-2012, 02:46 PM
The butterfly rashes tend calm down when the lupus isn't as active. The sicker I get the worse the rash gets, tell her things do get better.

ruziska
06-05-2012, 03:25 PM
Like Mica said, the rashes will calm down. In the meantime, makeup can be a good thing! Physician's Formula makes a wonderful green tint base that, for me at least, does a great job covering up the rash. Gold Bond also has a moisturizer with chamomile in it that is supposed to help with redness. I can't speak for anyone else, but it has helped me.

magistramarla
06-05-2012, 08:54 PM
My rashes got much better after I had been on Plaquenil and MTX for a while. Now I'm only on Plaquenil, but it seems to be keeping it all under control.
My butterfly rash only shows up if I've overdone it. My hubby can tell when I've done too much and feel extra tired - my cheeks tell him.
Hugs,
Marla