PDA

View Full Version : any info on C.R.E.S.T syndrome?

biker chic
05-19-2006, 08:04 PM
today my rhemy told me I have "crest" syndrome as well as Lupus as well as RA. He said something about antibodies? Explains why I have felt like crap! For a long time. I had to quit work because I have no energy and I'm cold all the time. Anyways any info would be appreciated.

Saysusie
05-22-2006, 07:32 AM
Hi Bikerchic :D
CREST is a form of Systemic Sclerosis (scleroderma) which is characterized by calcium deposits, usually in the fingers; Raynaud's;loss of muscle control of the Esophagus (which can cause difficulty swallowing); Sclerodactyly, a tapering deformity of the bones of the fingers; and Telangiectasia, small red spots on the skin of the fingers, face, or inside of the mouth. CREST syndrome is a slow form of scleroderma, or systemic sclerosis, which is an autoimmune disease like Lupus. Women experience this disorder four times more often than men and it is rarely found in children. Mixed connective tissue disease and Lupus may be part of scleroderma.
It takes only two of the five CREST symptoms for a diagnosis of CREST (either "pure" or "plus") to be made. For example, a patient with Calcinosis and Raynaud's would have CREST. CREST is a relatively stable and slow-moving form of scleroderma and has a much more favorable prognosis than other forms.
"Pure"CREST by itself: "Pure" CREST is diagnosed when patients have two or more symptoms of CREST but they do not meet the criteria for either Limited or Diffuse Scleroderma. That is, they must not have tight skin above their wrists, and if there is tight skin on their fingers, they must not have either pitting digital ulcers or lung fibrosis.
"Plus" CREST along with: When CREST symptoms appear along with another form of Scleroderma, it is referred to as, for example, "Limited Scleroderma plus CREST" or "Diffuse Scleroderma plus CREST." A person may also have any other autoimmune disease, such as Lupus " plus CREST."
Antibodies: Anticentromere Antibodies (ACA) are the most common antibodies found in CREST Syndrome. ACA are very specific of scleroderma, in particular localized cutaneous systemic sclerosis, but the positive predictive value is low. ACA are detected only in 23 % of the patients with localized cutaneous systemic sclerosis and can appear in other systemic connective inflammatory disease. Anticentromere antibodies (ACA) are frequently observed in patients with Raynaud's phenomenon and in the CREST syndrome, a subclass of systemic sclerosis. Measurement of anticentromere antibodies by this ELISA using human recombinant antigen is a useful alternative for the autoimmune laboratory checking for diseases associated with anticentromere antibodies.
Treatment depends upon the symptoms you are displaying:
see web-site below for explanation of symptoms and treatments:
http://www.sclero.org/medical/symptoms/gi/esophagus.html

I hope that I've answered your questions.

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie