PDA

View Full Version : Hello

bmeek
06-03-2012, 11:32 AM
Hi. So I just had my 3rd child 4 months ago and soon after, I started noticing this rash on my face...especially after a shower. I just thought I was allergic to my face wash and thought it very odd since it's Cetaphil. I switched to Dove unscented and it was still there. It burns like a sunburn sometimes and it's only really noticeable after a shower or if I get hot or stressed. Around the time the rash reared its ugly head, I started getting intense headaches. I would wake up with one everyday and I have never been a big headache person. I got curious about my rash and Googled. Butterfly rash? Lupus?! What?! I started noticing things...like my knees and ankles are achy and I have diarrhea for every single bowel movement. I am extremely fatigued even after a full night's sleep. I forget everything and can't think of words sometimes. I lose an ungodly amount of hair in the shower. I bruise very easily and have little red dots on my skin. Everything kind of fell into the Lupus category so I made an appointment with my GP. Right off the bat, they took my BP and it was high. I have never in my life had high BP. I go every few days to have it checked since then and it's steadily borderline or high. I also had a mild fever. She did the ANA and ESR tests..plus a CBC. My WBCs were elevated and my ANA and ESR were 'mildly positive'. My RA was negative. I was scheduled for a brain MRI yesterday, but quickly found out that I'm claustrophobic (haha!) and had to reschedule that so I can be sedated. I believe the next step is a referral to a rheumy. She told me this will be a long process, but it's frustrating. I have attached 2 pics of my rash on different days to maybe get some opinions on if it is in line with Lupus or Rosacea.47764777

Thanks!
Beth

magistramarla
06-03-2012, 03:07 PM
Hi Beth,
Welcome to WHL. Many of us have gone through the long and aggravating process of trying to get diagnosed. It takes a logn time, and many docs won't agree once you do get a dx. Also, there are over 60 autoimmune diseases, and they can overlap.
My rash is like yours - it only shows up if I'm stressed or have been overdoing it.
You can learn a lot here. Read the stickys at the beginning of each forum for good information. Read through old threads that interest you, and add comments or ask questions. We have members in lots of time zones, so there is usually someone hanging around to answer you.
Hugs,
Marla

steve.b
06-03-2012, 07:23 PM
hi beth,
i noticed on your profile that your husband is in the army.

we have a few current and ex service members on here.
and other family of members.

welcome.

magistramarla
06-03-2012, 08:26 PM
Hi Beth,
I just read Steve's post. I'm also a military wife. My hubby is a student at The Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, Ca.
He's been in the Air Force since 1981.
My son is a former Marine and my son-in-law if an AF staff sergeant (They head for Ramstein, Germany next week).
So, a big hello from another military wife.
Hugs,
Marla

tgal
06-03-2012, 11:09 PM
Hi and welcome to WHL. One of the hints about Lupus, and other AI diseases, is that they affect us all differently. lupus symptoms are like the symptoms of many other things so we really can't tell you if that is what you have or not. We are not doctors here but we do understand the stress that you are going through. As was already mentioned, many of us spent years trying to get an answer as I what was wrong with us! It is so frustrating but the food part is that you are no longer alone.

While you wait for your rhuemy appointment I would suggest putting together a list of all of the test you have had ( at any time in the past) that came back out of normal range. List the test and the results. Give this page to the doctor when you go into the office. Don't give it to a nurse or the front desk. Give it directly to the dr. This way he can scan it quickly while he is with you and won't get you mixed up with someone else or have forgotten what was in your records. It often seems to help

I look forward to getting to know you and we are glad to have you as part of our WHL family

bmeek
06-04-2012, 07:28 AM
Thanks. I know there are no doctors here and I'm not asking for a diagnosis at all. Maybe I should rephrase..I can't really tell if my rash excludes the nasolabial folds and need help from people who are more familiar with this to give me opinions on whether it does or not. Things don't seem very clear to me at the moment with all these new health issues.

tgal
06-04-2012, 10:34 AM
There is nothing clear about the disease though. Some people get the full malar rash ( over the nose), some exclude the nose and some don't get that rash at all. Unfortunately there is no test for lupus that will give us a quick answer. On top of that it is alays difficult to tell in pictures anyway.

Keep us posted with what is goin on! We are glad to have you

magistramarla
06-05-2012, 09:09 PM
Beth,
Could you request to see a dermatologist? Sometimes they seem to be better for diagnosing rashes.
Hugs,
Marla

bmeek
06-20-2012, 03:15 PM
Just an update...My knees are *really* bothering me now and I can predict the weather with them. I still have the malar rash and saw a new doc in the same practice for an unrelated issue. She looked over my records and labs and insisted I go see a Rheumatologist. She said my ANA was high enough along with my symptoms to investigate and if I were to do another ANA, it could show higher since all this just started. My MRI results showed a 1-2 mm 'spot' on the right front part of my brain. She said it could be early MS or Lupus..or there for no reason...I'm going to see a neurologist for that one. I also have a very suspicious mole that is being removed on the 27th and biopsied. When it rains, it pours I guess :/ My bp has been high still, but they don't seem very concerned...it was 141/96 yesterday and I have always had great bp readings.

magistramarla
06-20-2012, 09:47 PM
Fantastic! If I were you, I would insist on this doc being my PCP. She sounds like a keeper!
You are on the right track to finding out more now. As I said before, many of us have overlapping AI issues. That seems to be what you are finding out, too.
Keep us informed.
Hugs,
Marla

bmeek
06-23-2012, 06:49 AM
I made her my PCP that day!