PDA

View Full Version : Questions When "Interviewing" a New Rheumy

BonusMom
05-29-2012, 11:30 PM
I'm seeing a new rheumy on Thursday, one that I was referred to by my PCP. a referral I requested because, although awesome, my former rheumy was 3 hours away, not contracted with any insurance companies and was only in the office two days per week.

So, I need a few questions/ideas to present to get a feel for this guy/his tx attitudes for SLE, SjS and Raynaud's. Should I take the report from the Sjogren's study at UCSF that I participated in, as well as copies of my former rheumy's reports, or just sign a release for him to obtain?

Okay guys and gals.....throw those suggestions at me. Don't be shy......

steve.b
05-30-2012, 04:04 AM
if you sign a release....
it can take weeks / months for the paperwork to sort itself out.

i would present a file of your relevant history.
it should contain all abnormal blood results.
and any other testing you have had.

i would also ask if he was familiar with your ailments.
and if he treats other patients with the same ailments.
(i like my rhuemy, because he has a personal interest in lupus,his sister has it )
(and he is on the australian board for lupus research).

just my thoughts.

BonusMom
05-30-2012, 05:45 AM
Good suggestions, Steve. My (former) rheumy was not affiliated with my medical group, therefore their electronic medical records aren't available, however, my PCP did all of my maintenance labs and those are available to the new doc online (whew!). But, you bring up a good point about it taking months for a release to be signed and the whole enchilada being exchanged so I'll take everything but the labs, just in case. And if the guy dismisses my recs/reports, well, then I'll know he's a jerk and need to keep looking for a good doctor.

magistramarla
05-30-2012, 09:22 PM
BonusMom,
I didn't do a very good job with this, since I really don't like my rheumy. I wish that I had established right from the start that I want copies of all of my lab work, etc. She looks at me like I'm crazy when I ask for them, and the lab won't give me copies unless the doc specifies it. The gal there claimed that "Maybe your doc doesn't want you to be scared or confused by something before she explains it to you."
I really don't like being talked down to like that. My docs in Texas always gave me copies of everything and I never needed to ask.
Good luck.
Hugs,
Marla

BonusMom
05-31-2012, 09:22 AM
Went to my appointment with my reports, in walked the doctor and all my questions and poise flew out the window. This guy's a hunk! I mean gorgeous! Good thing Superman wasn't with me, otherwise it would've been a short visit. LOL

In all seriousness, I liked the rheumy and his philosophy. He agrees that once a positive ANA, that's all that matters. Back on Plaquenil. He ordered some Prednisone for this darn flare. Return x3 mos (earlier, if I'm lucky-ha ha).

Gotta look at the bright side ladies....

Derrie
05-31-2012, 09:48 AM
I know what you mean, BonusMom about hunks-- my internist and my dentist... well, let's just say I take extra care in dressing nicely when I go visit them. I know both of them are married, and I'd never go there, but I can't help but admire these gorgeous, smart, caring men.

Why can't I find a man like that??

But I'm glad you liked your new rheumatologist and that he's treating your flare. And I'm glad he's easy on the eyes, because let's be honest, anything that makes going to the doctor a little nicer is helpful...

steve.b
06-02-2012, 05:18 AM
being a "bonus mom"
you have a right to look for "bonus's" in life.

enjoy the view..........
i do whenever i can,
(with my wifes blessing)
nothing wrong with admiring gods creation,
(as i say, if they look that good..... what hope would i have anyway) lol

mountaindreamer
06-02-2012, 05:47 AM
hi bonus mom....sounds like you hit the jack pot with the new rheumy.....good looking and a good rheumy, wow....

Sounds like he agrees with the team approach to treatment, and that is what i find to be the most important trait in any of my drs. It takes a team, and we are a crucial part of the team.

so glad to see you around.

BonusMom
06-02-2012, 06:15 AM
Thanks, everyone, for celebrating my good fortune. I'll really be doing the happy dance once he's got my records from the last rheumy, my current labs and we can discuss where I've been, where I am and where I'm going.

I'm hoping I can muster up some drool-as an experiment, of course. I think I will have had a mani/pedi done the weekend before so my hoofs won't be so dry.....

Just hoping the "roids don't blow me up like a balloon. Oh well, that's the reality of the situation.

PS. Great to see you mountaindteamer! You've been missed!

magistramarla
06-03-2012, 04:07 PM
BonusMom,
Yes - you hit the jackpot. It always helps if a doc is easy on the eyes, especially if he's also a good one.
I'm glad that you're having some good luck.
Hugs,
Mom