PDA

View Full Version : Insurers Making Patients Pay More For Meds

BonusMom
05-28-2012, 08:03 PM
From the LA Times

http://mobile.latimes.com/p.p?m=b&a=rp&id=2189651&postId=2189651&postUserId=7&sessionToken=&catId=6220&curAbsIndex=2&resultsUrl=DID%3D6%26DFCL%3D1000%26DSB%3Drank%2523 desc%26DBFQ%3DuserId%253A7%26DL.w%3D%26DL.d%3D10%2 6DQ%3DsectionId%253A6220%26DPS%3D0%26DPL%3D3

No wonder people aren't compliant with their meds-they can't afford them!

(mods-hope this isn't against the TOS. If so, please delete)

magistramarla
05-28-2012, 08:43 PM
BonusMom,
Yes, no wonder. Now more and more people in the US will be forced to choose between paying the rent or paying for life-saving drugs each month.
This is why many of us can't even think about trying Benlysta.
Luckily for me, the only expensive prescription that I have is for Restasis. My ophthalmologist told me how to "cheat" on it. Each vial states that you are to only use it once when it is opened. My eye doc told me to reseal the vial, keep it cool and in the box, and that it would be fine to use it until the vial is empty. I get four uses (two days worth) out of each supposedly single use vial. When I buy the so-called thirty day supply, I can make it last up to four months.
In the two years that I've been using Restasis my co-pay has gone from $62 to $75. I don't think that I would be compliant if I had to pay out this much every month. Three times a year isn't so bad.
Healthcare in the US really needs to be improved.
Hugs,
Marla

BonusMom
05-28-2012, 09:18 PM
Sadly, those of us with chronic illness are targeted with this racketeering Luckily, I work for a large employer who won't tolerate the abuses as easily as a small company who doesn't have the large numbers of employees to negotiate reasonable rates and co-pays. Superman's employer is nationwide and just this year their policy has changed so much that even though it's offered at no charge to the employee, the co-pays are so high and the "benefits" laughable, I'm thinking about adding him to my policy. Then he'll have dual coverage and no co-pays.

Yet the pharma companies keep getting richer. If you have money to invest folks, that's where you should put your money. Big pharma makes a FORTUNE from our misfortune. I don't begrudge a company for making a REASONABLE profit, but to bankrupt people is just plain wrong.

I'll get off my soapbox now.....

magistramarla
05-28-2012, 09:44 PM
Yes, we have "decent" insurance because Jeff is a Federal employee, but our deductible and co-pays increase every year, while the benefits decrease.
It sure isn't the "Cadillac insurance" that the Federal lawmakers have.
I can't complain too much though - it's much better than what other members of WHL have.

Mica
05-29-2012, 12:33 PM
Oh yea when I did have insurance the company when they noticed I was using a medication consistently they would keep raising the co-pay for that med. They did they with my doctor too every time i'd go I would pay 10 dollars more. I actually pay less for my medical bills with no insurance than when I did.

tgal
05-29-2012, 01:31 PM
There have been several months that I have had to go without some of my meds for a week or two. It is never a pretty site when that happens but it is simply the way I is. I don't have insurance so I can't bblame it on that. The price of the meds are just way too much for me at times. I have learned which ones are better to "skip" and which ones I can't miss.

Sad but true

rob
05-29-2012, 02:15 PM
If I said how I feel about this, in the way I would really like to say it, I'd probably have to ban myself...

Bonusmom pretty much defined this in the most accurate term-Racketeering.