PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas on how to get more support group attendance

Missy
05-18-2006, 08:19 PM
Hello, all -

I haven't posted for a while, because I got out of the loop when the site was down, but I'm trying to drum up more attendance for my local lupus support group. It's slow going and I know there are a lot of reasons for that. We've been going for over 1 1/2 years now, but usually there are only 3 people, including me. It rotates, but one of our members got terminal cancer - non-lupus related (that was really hard). Anyway, there are only two Rheumys in town - one is mine and lets me advertise there and the other is in a big clinic that won't allow it. I have a notice in the health section of the newspaper every week and the hospital newsletter quarterly. What am I forgetting? Do I just give up at the end of the year if I don't get more participation?

Saysusie
05-22-2006, 07:56 AM
I have attended several lupus support groups, some were successful and some were not. Honestly, the ones that had the most members were the ones that also had social events included in their support groups. While they spent a lot of time on education, information and support, they also had scheduled social events. I attended one that had "Coffee Morning" once or twice per week. The ladies would supply everyone with tea, coffee and fruit all morning. They also had monthly readings and writings (members would bring in their poetry, writing etc.) and share them with the other members, they had a coffee-shop kind of thing going on. They would also plan a monthly outing (sometimes something as simple as just meeting for breakfast or lunch). What I enjoyed the most was that they were like sponsors to one another and if a member was very ill and unable to attend, they would call him/her to ask if they could help out in any way (babysitting, washing dishes, running errands etc.).
I was so unhappy when I moved away and had to leave that group. I do not know if this will work for every lupus support group, but it seemed to work for this one!
I applaud you for trying and I honor you for your commitment. Trust your gut and your heart when making the decision to continue or to let it go. Best of Luck

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

biker chic
05-22-2006, 10:17 AM
Thank you that is helpfull, but I'm still overwelmed with everything that's happened.

val
06-01-2006, 05:33 PM
I have the same problem in Uk. I have over 80 members who have contacted me but they just don't come to meetings. I sent out questionaires asking them what they want and tried to organise it but still attendance was poor. I got so disheartened that a few of us just meet monthly for lunch.
Val