PDA

View Full Version : Staph infection again!!!

catlady4520
05-17-2006, 10:17 PM
I just got out the the hospital with a staph infection in my hip called MRSA. The dr said there are only a couple antibiotics that can treat it as this is a resistant strain. I was just in the hospital in Feb for a staph infection although that one could easily be treated with antibiotics. I had been going to wound care for 3 mos with a wound vac and just recently got the wound vac removed and was just doing regular dressings.

Am so bummed! Every time this happens, my surgeon takes me off the Cellcept because of it's immune suppression properties. Am just having a tough time getting over these infections. I'm taking several vitamins and eating alot of protein but guess my system is just not strong enough to battle this. Has anyone else ever had problems with recurring staph infections!

silverlioness
05-17-2006, 11:06 PM
I wondered if you had MRSA (methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus) when you had mentioned your infection before. The doctor just diagnosed me with MRSA a week and a half ago. My infection is (unfortunately for me) in my mouth. I also have thrush. I contracted it in OCTOBER. I've been to my PCP several times, the Rheumatologist, and even the Ear, Nose, and Throat doctor. Two weeks ago, I went to the PCP to ask for more Protonix and told her that my mouth was still hurting. She asked if I wanted her to culture it, I said sure (thinking "whatever"). I'm taking Bactrim and Diflucan. I'm on my 12th day of both. Did you go to the hospital in Wheat Ridge? That's the only hospital that Ive been to recently.

Because I have lupus, I get dismissed a lot. I told the ENT doctor "yesterday, I ate pancakes and almost cried." He said "well, can you tolerate the pain." What else am I supposed to do!!!

I'm so sorry you haven't gotten better (I haven't yet, either). I'll pray for both of us.

catlady4520
05-20-2006, 12:04 AM
No I didn't go to the hospital in Wheatridge. I went to one of the hospitals in Pueblo (St Mary-Corwin). If anyone happens to get sick while passing through here, I would suggest going to our Parkview hospital instead.

I also got a mouth and throat infection due to the strong antibiotics. Am on Vancomycin through IV but recently got really sick due to that so they are seeing if I can tolerate it after a few days off the therapy. Makes me kind of nervous to be off the antibiotics with such a nasty infection. What they gave me for the mouth/throat infection is Nystatin. It's a kind of syrupy stuff that you swish inside your mouth and to the back of your throat and then swallow. i have to use it 4 times a day but it seems to be working. For awhile, my tongue and inner tissues of my mouth were on fire and could barely eat/drink anything. Have your drs try that!

Missy
05-20-2006, 03:27 PM
I had oral thrush before and also used the Nystatin swish. Boy, I sure am thinking of both of you!

silverlioness
05-20-2006, 10:56 PM
I have a big bottle of Nystatin. I've probably used it for three treatment periods since November. It would help a little, then things would just get worse. Thanks for the suggestion though. This is gross - but the skin (or whatever your tongue in made of) is finally starting to grow back on my tongue and the pain subsiding. I'm ready to party :) I said a prayer for us, but I'll say another one for good measure.

marisahali1996
07-23-2006, 10:44 AM
My wife had MRSA last year and the dr's treated it with vancomycian and levaquin . She spent 5 days in the hospital and 6wks out of commission. It was a difficult at that time. Then 2 months later she had a severe case of upper respitory infection and had to be rushed to the hospital. Our dr says that this can be reoccurring and try to treat the symptoms.