PDA

View Full Version : Is a low pain tolerance or sensitivity to touch lupus related?

mac336
05-15-2012, 06:20 PM
Hi all,

My sister has just been diagnosed with systemic lupus. We don't know how long she's actually had it though.

Ever since about 3 years ago, she has had an abnormal sensitivity to getting hit. For example, If I were to playfully hit her (a light bump or poke in the arm--not hard enough to hurt anyone in my opinion) it would cause her pain.

Another example: one time I opened the refrigerator door and it hit her in the shoulder and it seemed like it hurt her way more than it should of. She also gets bruised easily from our 20 lb dog jumping up on her legs wanting pets.

Just wondering if this sensitivity to touch or abnormally low pain threshold is a result of her lupus or not.

SleepyInSeattle
05-15-2012, 06:51 PM
I dunno if it's autoimmune-related or not, but I have always bruised easily and been a big weenie with any kind of pain. :-P

Sorry she's sick!

forty2
05-15-2012, 07:34 PM
I stand to be corrected by some of the female members, but isn't the easy bruising a possible symptom of low iron levels?

steve.b
05-15-2012, 07:53 PM
hi mac,
and welcome.

yes pain sensativity can be lupus related.
different people show different symptoms of lupus.
this is one of the reasons it can be so hard to diagonse.

but if lupus is effecting the muscles, they will become inflamed.
they will be very sensitive.

SleepyInSeattle
05-15-2012, 08:27 PM
I stand to be corrected by some of the female members, but isn't the easy bruising a possible symptom of low iron levels?

In our family we joke it's a symptom of VPPS (Very Pale Person Syndrome)....we're kinda Scottish that way... :-P
And yes, it can be a symptom of all kinds of things - it's important to get tested - but sometimes people just bruise easily - or like me are so pale you just SEE it easily.

panda_lupo
05-16-2012, 08:12 AM
Hello Mac!!!

Welcome to WHL!

I agree with Steve in yes pain sensativity can be lupus related.
different people show different symptoms of lupus.
For example: I have Fibromyalgia and can be quite tender and I find when Im poked on my side it can hurt for hours even if it was just a playful poke...

I find in the last couple years my pain threshold has gotten stronger but there are days when i bumb into the wall and it feels like I was just hit by a car

Mica
05-16-2012, 10:34 AM
In our family we joke it's a symptom of VPPS (Very Pale Person Syndrome)....we're kinda Scottish that way... :-P
And yes, it can be a symptom of all kinds of things - it's important to get tested - but sometimes people just bruise easily - or like me are so pale you just SEE it easily.

That just made my morning!!!

Oh and I know sometimes I can't even have people touch me, like a hug, because it's so painful. Although I have always been a bit more tolerate with pain lupus can sometimes make us a bit sensitive to things.

debbie-b
05-16-2012, 11:40 AM
I have co-workers, that when they walk behind my chair, they stop and massage my shoulder or just run their fingers over my spine, it hurts so much, that I want to scream.
I told a couple of them not to do it, because it hurts, but they either don't believe me or don't care. It's so bad, I want to slap them.
Even my poor husband got yelled at, when he tried to give me a massage.
And yes, I bruise easy too.
You can look at me, but don't touch me.

Debbie

serand4
05-16-2012, 04:55 PM
I have really, really sever fibro to the extent that even having one of my small cats laying on my lap can cause agony after about five minutes. And, honestly, I don't even want to be in a romantic relationship for fear that intimate moments would be far too painful. My son even knows that he can only gently hold my hand during the scary parts of a movie or sharing a high five when something is really funny. I love to hug but my close friends know that even hugs have to be very gentle. But I sure say "I love you!" a lot! I may not be able to physically love on my friends, but they do know they are loved!

mountaindreamer
05-17-2012, 06:15 AM
I also have severe Fibromyalgia, and associate most of my "avoid tender touches" to the fms. Any touching of my pressure points will feel like I have been hit with a 2 x 4 board. I just cringe, and bear the pain....

brandichi
05-17-2012, 10:05 AM
I have fibromyalgia too(just diagnosed last year), and I've noticed lately that my arms and legs hurt terribly if I or anyone else touches them. My shoulders don't bother me though if someone touches me there.

I bruise EXTREMELY easily - just a light bump against the cabinet in the bathroom will make me turn black, blue, and purple for a week! My doctor isn't concerned about it. She said it could be from Plaquenil, which is also a blood thinner, and Lovaza, which also is a blood thinner.

Fortunately, I taught myself ages ago to block pain as much as possible. I still have pain a lot, but not as much as before I tried to block it.

magistramarla
05-17-2012, 01:00 PM
I also have severe Fibromyalgia, and associate most of my "avoid tender touches" to the fms. Any touching of my pressure points will feel like I have been hit with a 2 x 4 board. I just cringe, and bear the pain....

Phyllis!!
Welcome home! I've missed you! How are you?
Love & Hugs,
Marla

magistramarla
05-17-2012, 01:04 PM
I have fibromyalgia too(just diagnosed last year), and I've noticed lately that my arms and legs hurt terribly if I or anyone else touches them. My shoulders don't bother me though if someone touches me there.

I bruise EXTREMELY easily - just a light bump against the cabinet in the bathroom will make me turn black, blue, and purple for a week! My doctor isn't concerned about it. She said it could be from Plaquenil, which is also a blood thinner, and Lovaza, which also is a blood thinner.

Fortunately, I taught myself ages ago to block pain as much as possible. I still have pain a lot, but not as much as before I tried to block it.

Brandychi,
Welcome back! I haven't seen you here in a long, long time.
I'm like you - I bruise very easily, but I've always had a high pain tolerance. Sometimes people will ask me about a big bruise, and I wasn't even aware that I had one. I love to get massages - it hurts sooo good! - but I often have bruises after my massage.
Hugs,
Marla