PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from sunny (and hot, and humid) South Texas..

forty2
05-12-2012, 08:17 PM
I'm married with (3) kids (11& under), 42 (male), Dx of SLE and Sj, but mostly asymptomatic. I'm here because I'd really, really like to stay as symptom free as possible. I have had a sensitivity to sunlight for about the last 8 years, so I never really noticed the rash on my face until recently. Considering my UV sensitivity and my occupation, the dry eyes didn't really seem odd. The sores in my nose and mouth must've been related to some allergy or something, and the fatigue/joint pain I thought was certainly just my age. Was sent to the Ruema-t in 2010 after testing to address some injury related joint problems pointed towards SLE and Sjogrens, which was confirmed. I didn't really take it seriously until the Dr. wanted to bump me up to Methatrexate. After taking a good long look at the possible side effects, I decided it would be a last resort for me. I managed to get myself back onto Plaquenil, which i stopped previously due to the headaches. I've only needed Prednisone 3 times in the last year, and my GP addressed my Uric Acid, which has really improved my overall energy level and condition. I've had co-workers (female, are there any other guys with SLE or am I the only one?????) who had debilitating rashes and fatigue that really make my symptoms look mild, so I feel pretty fortunate. I'm interested in reading up on Methatrexate and the group's experiences with it in case I need it in the future. Recent issues have been mild to moderate pain in my hands when I awake. I have recently come to the realization that I can't have a coke once in a while, or a cocktail on the weekends unless I want to feel like I've been hit by a truck for three days. Looking forward to learning from you all, and hopefully contributing what I can.

magistramarla
05-12-2012, 08:34 PM
Hi Forty2,
Welcome to WHL. First, we have several guys here - two of them are moderators - Rob and Steve. I'm sure that they will greet you.
Here's the very best way to learn about our experiences with MTX. This is an old thread where many of us have discussed it. http://forum.wehavelupus.com/showthread.php?5051-Its-M-day&highlight=Iseedeadmonkeys I took MTX injections for over a year. Now I'm holding fairly steady with just Plaquenil.
I used to live in San Antonio, so I understand about the heat. We're temporarily living in California right now, which is heavenly, and I dread moving back to Texas. I feel so much better out here! I also have an overlap of AI diseases - SLE, SJS, RA and Psoriatic Arthritis.
Make yourself at home here. Read old threads that interest you and be sure to read the stickys at the top of each forum. Then feel free to ask questions or make comments. We have members from all over the world, so there is usually someone hanging around to talk.
I hope to get to know you better.
Hugs,
Marla

forty2
05-12-2012, 09:15 PM
I prefer the Texas Hill Country, but fate's brought me here for a while...

magistramarla
05-12-2012, 09:22 PM
One of my daughters lives in Boerne, and it is nice, but I get cedar fever when I'm in the Hill Country. My son lives in Houston - talk about humid - wow!
We're living on the Central Coast of California right now - the beautiful Monterey Bay is visible from my window. The temp is always between 40 and 65 degrees and the humidity is perfect for my SJS. Locals here complain of the heat if it reaches 70!
We have to return to Lackland AFB for a few years, but we're plotting how to return here for retirement.
Hugs,
Marla

forty2
05-12-2012, 09:31 PM
I grew up in Houston, only left there in 04 for the hill country. Houston is really just like Hawaii...without the beaches, palm trees, or breezes.

steve.b
05-12-2012, 10:28 PM
hi,
yes there are a few of us males with lupus.

they say 3.5 million people in america have lupus.
of those 10% are male
so 350,000 american males have lupus.

you are not alone.

add a few of us in other countries and you are definatelly not alone.

please feel free to read a few of the older posts.
they are our personal experiences with lupus.

a few of us like to get to know our fellow lupies.
one of the easiest ways is to add comments in your profile page.
please read mine to get to know me.

again welcome.

tripLexie
05-14-2012, 07:09 AM
I'm in Midland, Texas. If you like the dust and the triple digit heat.. This place is for you haha!!

Welcome to WHL!!!!

tgal
05-14-2012, 08:28 AM
LOL Loved the description of Houston! It is right on.

Welcome to WHL. We are glad to have you

kim,l
05-14-2012, 08:33 PM
welcome to whl family my name is kim and i am from sydney . to answer your question the only side affects i have mexotrexate are upset tummy for day and just a little dizzy but i found it was worth it because it helped my symptoms but we are all individuals and different medications affect us differently. look forward to chatting .

LenaT14
05-14-2012, 08:36 PM
Hey Y'all!! I am native Austinite.......we are a rare breed these days it seems. Personally I refuse to move anywhere else, its awesome here! The heat can be a tad bit ridiculous but I'm still not going anywhere! I am going to be on the coast this weekend for the Beach to Bay relay race, this will be the third year to go, and unfortunately I am unable to participate this year because I'm in nooooo shape to run. So sad but I am going to be my teams #1 cheerleader, and make it a goal to be back handing off the baton next year. I wish everyone a pain free evening from the ATX

CTR

Mica
05-14-2012, 09:37 PM
YEY another Texan! I'm from Amarillo, welcome to the site.

tgal
05-14-2012, 10:01 PM
Us Texans are gonna take over pretty soon!

forty2
05-15-2012, 05:25 AM
Hey Y'all!! I am native Austinite.......we are a rare breed these days it seems. Personally I refuse to move anywhere else, its awesome here! The heat can be a tad bit ridiculous but I'm still not going anywhere! I am going to be on the coast this weekend for the Beach to Bay relay race, this will be the third year to go, and unfortunately I am unable to participate this year because I'm in nooooo shape to run. So sad but I am going to be my teams #1 cheerleader, and make it a goal to be back handing off the baton next year. I wish everyone a pain free evening from the ATX

CTR

My wife is a native of Austin too, we're hoping to get back up there soon. Lived in Fredericksburg for a couple of years, the Hill Country is the best...