PDA

View Full Version : trying to understand reading blood test

leaann
05-11-2012, 08:12 AM
Ok the other day I went to the doctor and was suppose to pick up some lab results that I did over a year ago, I didn't check to see if I had to right ones before I left because I was in a hurry to get to another doctor. But they gave the wrong labs. however the labs they gave me were the ones I just completed.

I have been trying to figure them out and they can be very confusing. Does anyone else have this issue reading them?

it shows

Component Glucose Serum Results 106 Range 65-99
Now here is what I gather component Glucose serum is the test results meaning what my blood showed and I am assuming that Range means where it should be anywhere from this number to this number.

Can someone answer me if I am correct in my thinking?

I know most of the test that I recently took were for my diabetes.
The lupus doctor that I just saw stated that I needed to learn more about blood test and keep up with what different test were and what numbers were in case someone ask me?

Oh this is all confusing to me.
I have searched online and tried to figure this out, it is a couple of weeks before I go back to the doctor and this is bugging the heck out of me that I can't figure this out.

and what does it mean when the Range shows >59 Does that mean great than 59 ?

steve.b
05-11-2012, 08:15 PM
different blood clinics use different scales to measure against.
so it can get confusing.

what you have written is accurate.
the normal range is between 65 and 99.
your reading was 106.
this means you are 7 higher than normal.
usually there is another line added that explains whether this is a concern or not.
being 7 high may not be a concern, or it might.
this extra line of information usually helps us understand.

on the second question, you also got it right.
the usual range in anything greater than 59.
if your reading falls bellow that level, you do not have enough of this substance in your system.
eg. vitamin d levels. too low and you need supliments.

you can now go to the top of the class, give your self a gold star, and of course a lolly pop. lol

you are smarter than you thought.
well done.

Saysusie
05-12-2012, 09:57 AM
Great response Steve!!

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

leaann
05-14-2012, 09:57 AM
Thanks Steve that helped me a lot now I understand more of what I am looking at. and yes I think I will have that lolly pop after all. lol