PDA

View Full Version : Hello! New here and fairly new to lupus......

LenaT14
05-09-2012, 03:24 PM
Hey there, I somehow stumbled onto this forum in my search for something today....I don't even remember what I was looking for at the time! I'm 31 years old, have a 12 yo son, and married to the most amazing man in the world (I say he's a gift from the highest part of heaven!). I got formerly diagnosed with SLE in Feb of this year, thank goodness its non organ threatening! My mother has had it and RA for 30+ yrs, and I have had symptoms that I managed with diet, exercise, and NSAIDS for a few years that got out of control last November. I have the biggest challenges with migraines, joint pain, fatigue; rhuemy put me on Plaq and I've had 3 upper respiratory & ear infections in the last 45 days. Soooo, last Friday doc told me to stop the plaq....now I'm stuck in bed with every inch of my body hurting. I'm so frustrated, confused and tired of being sick and tired at this point. I was told that once the Plaquenil got into my system that I would feel "better than I have ever felt in my life" and lead a happy and normal life. Well obviously that has not been the case and I have no idea what the next step of treatment is. I'm going to see my doc on the 14th for a follow up and if he doesn't give me some serious answers and help, then I'm going for a 2nd opinion. Enough ranting for now, and thanks for letting me share!

steve.b
05-09-2012, 09:42 PM
hi lena, and welcome.

sorry you are having a bad time.
many of us go through a difficult time trying to find out what medications suit us.

please keep us informed as to your progress.

please also read a few of the older posts....
they are our personal experiences with lupus.

tgal
05-09-2012, 11:51 PM
I am so sorry that you are going through all of this! I hope they find the treatment that works for you quickly. We are glad that you found us and we will be here as you fight this. Style

Saysusie
05-12-2012, 09:14 AM
Hello and Welcome to our family;
I truly understand your frustration and your need for answers and appropriate treatment. Please know that you are not alone. Many of us have had to re-adjust and/or change our treatment regimen over and over again until we finally find a combination of medications and treatment modalities that works for us.
I am not sure how long you took the Plaquenil, but it is a cumulative drug and can sometimes take months before you see any significant results. Also, doctors will often prescribe Plaquenil with a corticosteroid (such as Prednisone) in order to affect quicker and more substantial relief from symptoms. If your doctor told you to discontinue the Plaquenil, I think that her should have then prescribed another medication to help you receive some relief from your symptoms. We have a "sticky" here that provides information about treatments and medications for Lupus. Perhaps you can read it to get an idea of what type of medications are available so that you can have an informed discussion with your doctor about what your treatment should be.
Please let us know how your appointment goes. Again....Welcome to our family.

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie