PDA

View Full Version : Birth Control and AI diseases..

tripLexie
05-09-2012, 08:40 AM
Any good information of the downside of birth control and AI disease?

My rheumy wanted me on it.. He said that the medications I'm on can cause severe birth defects and knows I have a boyfriend and am sexually active and doesn't want there to be any risk. (At the time I was about to start prednisone, and was on meloxicam, lyrica, omeprazole... I don't know which one he was worried about.) He also wants to make sure I can't get pregnant because of the issues it can cause for AI disease sufferers.

When I went to my PCP on Monday, I told him that the rheumy wanted me on birth control. I also hinted that it might help with my SUPER heavy periods causing me to be very anemic along with the massive blood clots I pass through out my period (the size of my fist.. NO, I am not exaggerating).

BUT, my PCP was sort of concerned. He said he would put me on them, if the rheumy said so, but that it's typically somewhat dangerous due to the risk of blood clots. He kept expressing his concern and saying "But, if the rheumatologist said it was okay, I suppose I can."

The other issue is the birth control that always worked amazing for me was Yaz (the generic of course). There is lots of controvery on this drug but I never had issues with it.. Though, that was several years ago. I'm kind of worried that now, with all this disease activity going on, my reaction to it might be different. I guess I will have to see!

Anyways, sorry for the rant. Anyone here have any experience with all this? Anyone been advised NOT to take birth control?? And why would the rheumy be worried about me getting pregnant?

Codi98
05-09-2012, 09:04 AM
I was on oral bc for long time but recently i experienced a clot so i had to stop it im now looking into getting a none hormonal iud and n my doctors are highly concerned because im on cellcept and warfarin both which can cause very serious birth defects as well as just concerned with ovr all complications of pregency. In the long run its your choice but its hard when getting mixed messages from different doctors

tripLexie
05-09-2012, 09:08 AM
Yeah, that's how I feel!! I mean I suppose my rheumy knows more about the AI disease than the PCP.. It just scares me that my PCP (who I am liking more and more than any of my other docs) was worried. But he went ahead with it since someone who knows more about my disease wanted it done. Confusing.... Ugh.

ritzbit2
05-09-2012, 09:26 AM
All of my doctors were all for me using birth control (I'm also on the generic for Yaz, Ocella) but I went to my first gyno appointment ever at the beginning of this year and she expressed concerns for the same reason about the higher risk of blood clots. She said if my rheum is really ok with the birth control idea then she would suggest switching to a different one because Ocella is so known for clots. I haven't switched yet, but I probably will ask my primary about it within the next week or two because I have to go in to see him soon anyway. I can't risk getting pregnant right now because I'm on Cellcept which is really bad for mom and baby if you get pregnant.

theLword
05-09-2012, 01:35 PM
Hi tripLexi,

I've heard a lot of mixed things about BC and AI. Personally, I have been on BC since I was 17.. so like 9 years or so. Since I found out that I have Lupus, the thought of getting pregnant really scares me. When I eventually decide it's okay and time to have a child, I will need to make sure I'm in remission and off of most medications. I'm sure you feel the same.

There has been some research done on AI and hormones. Sometimes Lupus also goes into remission following pregnancy (the opposite can also happen). My advice is to consult a GYN. A GYN should be the one prescribing your BC anyway. There are different types of BC and if I am not wrong the best for those with Lupus are the mono hormone pills. But again, I think you should talk to a GYN about which is best for you.

As for the cramps, etc. Mine were horrible before I started BC. It was one of the reasons why I started and it should definitely reduce the severity of the cramps. Regarding blood clots.. obviously we are at greater risk in general and a lot of medication we take also increases the chance that we could have a blood clot. Talk to your doctor about the pros and cons and also what the warning signs are. Also, if you smoke cigarettes definitely do NOT go on BC because it increases the chances of having a blood clot even more.

Hope my rambling is helpful! :)

LenaT14
05-10-2012, 06:57 AM
Hey there,
I have had trouble with this topic as well and any type of pill was making things worse so I went back to the Nuvaring, its been great! The other thing that I did and my gyno says is completely safe is leave it in for 4 wks instead of 3 and not have an actual cycle but every 90 days. For some reason I was having miserable lupus symptoms during my cycles and so I was willing to try anything for some relief! The only reason they recommend letting your body have a natural cycle every 90 days is to prevent breakthrough bleeding. I must say it was amazing not to have all of the menstrual symptoms and the lupus symptoms for and entire week this last month! I am also planning on trying to get pregnant eventually but docs say that my body couldn't handle a pregnancy right now so I need to be careful. I am scared of any type of long term birth control so for now this will have to do! I hope this helps!