PDA

View Full Version : Money from car accident

Hunniebun
05-04-2012, 01:11 PM
I can't remember if I posted about this before, but I was in a small car accident back in March where I was rear ended by a woman in a Dodge Ram pickup. I have a teeny tiny little Suzuki Swift, and I got lucky, there is only paint damage to my bumper which you can barely see, so she hit me at maybe 20kph to 30kph. The bumper took it well but it sure was a harsh bump that was felt by myself and my little dog (she's ok). I didn't hit the windshield or the dash but I was thrown forward and slammed back into my seat. I ended up with whiplash to my neck and between my shoulder blades.
After I got the info of the woman that hit me, I immediately called my insurance and reported this. Over a month later I finally got the news that I am 100% not at fault (duh), I get $638 to repaint the little scratch on my bumper, my physio therapy that I need is going to be paid for by the insurance, plus I am entitled to $1500 for everything I've gone through.

GREAT!

Catch...

I am not allowed to accept the pain and suffering money because it is seen as "income", and I would have to live off that money before I see another disability cheque.
I don't understand this...The government of my province says that it is unfair to others if I get to have all this money.
How the F is it unfair? I got HURT by someone else!!! Its not like I wanted this to happen!

So...I called and left a message for the legal advocate who helped me get on disability a year ago, to see what she has to say and if she can help me.

I love Canada, I love BC but this current government we have has got to GO. It is unbelievable that I can't have this money on top of my regular benefits, its not like I am going to blow it on a vacation or anything stupid! I have debts I could pay off!

Sooooooooo frustrated...

Edit: Not trying to make it sound like I am better than anyone else on disability, I just can't wrap my head around the rule that receiving money for being hurt, is income...And I have to report it and have it deducted...

debbie-b
05-05-2012, 12:26 PM
I can see your point, this is wrong.
I am pretty sure, it's the same over here. It really sucks.
Sorry, that you can't keep the money.
Hugs.

Debbie

magistramarla
05-05-2012, 02:50 PM
Hunnie,
Yes, it is exactly the same here in the US. It seems that they discourage people from improving their lives. When my daughter had to use some state aid and food stamps for a while, she had the same rules to follow. If I transferred any money into her account, she had to count it as income and would receive less aid.
It is no wonder that people get "stuck" on the system and stop looking for jobs, etc. There is more incentive NOT to improve your life.
Sad, but this is the way "poor" people are treated in society.
I'm glad that you are getting that physical therapy, though. They can't keep you from accepting that, right?
Hugs,
Marla

Hunniebun
05-05-2012, 03:27 PM
I didn't even ask the Ministry about the physio because I'm so angry at them that I don't care anymore. I had to pay upfront for the first two appointments myself, and I think from now on, the bills will be sent to ICBC instead of me, so as far as I am concerned, this is NOT income.

I will just wait and see what the advocate can tell me, if there's anything I can do or if I can give this money to someone else in my family who needs it, so the insurance doesn't just take it back.

I am SO angry its crazy...I cannot improve my life while being on disability, but its so hard on me to work a full time job that I have no way to get money unless I stay on this pathetic program they call "support".

I just want to scream and smash things, I never get this angry.

Hunniebun
05-12-2012, 09:36 PM
I went down to the office and declared the cheque from my insurance company. I will be cut off from assistance for 1 month, and I am allowed to keep the money I earn from walking the dog so its not too bad, I was warned to hold onto the money and try to stretch it out until my assistance resumes again.

I was very lucky when my number was called to go and talk to someone. I was about to be called next to a guy I have dealt with before who is NOT nice at all, he talks to you as if you are a criminal all the time. I got called to a guy I'd never seen before and he was VERY nice and explained how everything will work from now and until I get back on assistance, so it make my trip to the office so much better than it usually is thank goodness.
He made me feel much better than I have been feeling, so did my adjustor from my insurance company, she wrote a letter explaining what happened and what I am receiving to give to the disability office, for me.

Glad that part is over.

magistramarla
05-12-2012, 09:41 PM
Hunniebun,
Good! I'm glad that things are working out for you. Are you going to get the physical therapy? That will help with the after-effects of the accident, but it will also help with your autoimmune symptoms. Take advantage of it!
Hugs,
Marla

Hunniebun
05-13-2012, 07:11 PM
Yep I am definitely going.

I still have some injuries, I am going 12 more times, so it helps the pain from that plus the pain from my diseases so that's very nice.

tgal
05-13-2012, 08:12 PM
I am so glad things are getting better! Keep us posted