PDA

View Full Version : Mental Illness and Lupus

Shine
04-25-2012, 07:35 PM
I have Bipolar Disorder 2. I was diagnosed with this way before I was diagnosed with Lupus, even though I've had symptoms of both since being a young teenager.

I often find that people "kindly suggest" that the symptoms of Lupus I experience are because of, or to do with, my mental illness. I have always, for as long as I can remember, been accused of being a hyperchondriac. It is suggested to me that my aches and pains are related to depression...when in fact I'm not depressed...I know when I'm depressed, it is often a result of pain/fatigue, not the other way around. It makes me feel stupid. I'm an intelligent woman who has always had insight into her mental illness and physical illness...yet people suggest I can't recognise depression and undermine the physical symptoms that make my life that teensy bit harder. I can't possibly just be allowed to be ill. It absolutely positively has to have something to do with my mental illness...every time. Maybe if I was just more positive! Hmm.

Anyone else experience this and want to tear their hair out? (Even if it is falling out already of it's own accord...) Can't I just be allowed to be ill, please?

theLword
04-26-2012, 10:47 AM
Hi Shine,

I seem to be responding to all your posts today! :)

For years I thought that the fatigue I experience and malaise were caused by a mild depression or dysthymic disorder (I work in mental health). I can note times throughout my life where I have been depressed, I think most people can say the same. But looking back I think that these are two separate issues. I believe that I was blaming my physical symptoms on my mental health simply because I didn't know what the cause was and I wanted an answer.

Depression related to Bipolar Disorder is going to be much more intense than just having somatic aches and pains. I'm sure you agree with that. Being "ill" is not always a bad thing. Of course I would like to be healthy and I would also like people around me to be healthy as well, but sometimes it's very therapeutic and assuring to have a diagnosis and a reason to why you're feeling ill.

You have a reason. You have two diagnosis that are not just handled out. That means that you meet diagnostic criteria for both. So people can deny all they want, but be assured that you have a reason for feeling the way that you do. The best part about it is because you have these diagnosis and because you have an answer as to what is going on both physically and mentally.. you can do what's best for you and it sounds like that's what you have been doing.

kim,l
04-26-2012, 07:17 PM
hello shine look i have lupus and my daughter has to she also has ptsd and it took alot of convincing doctors that her symptoms of lupus were not coming from her ptsd they thought it was all in her head it took 2 years for her to get her diagnoses. so i can relate. also all of us have had doctors tell us that our lupus is in our head before someone believes us and most us do not have mental illness. it is just a very hard disease to diagnose and some members still do not have diagnoses . i am so sorry it is so frustrating.

Shine
04-26-2012, 09:40 PM
Yes, the depression with Bipolar Disorder is all consuming...I am on medication for it which keeps me relatively stable, however I still experience milder versions of my highs and lows...so if anything it is harder now to tell the difference! But I know the difference.

Why can't people accept that invisible physical illness exists?

Ellie Hansen
04-27-2012, 05:05 AM
I hate it when my husband says "oh there goes the prednisone again!" and makes me feel like I have some mental illness. Maybe I do a little since accepting all of this has be very difficult and has made me depressed. But I understand what you mean, why can't people just accept it? I hate being called a hypochondriac and it's even worse when people think your just plain crazy all the way around. maybe some of the meds make us a little crazy, but it's just not fair for people to dismiss it. I hate it when people try to tell me to stay positive sometimes. I know that i probably should be more positive and thankful for what I have, but it's so easy for a healthy person to say "try to be positive." the being positive part can take a lot of effort and a lot more than anyone would understand who doesn't have lupus.

tgal
04-27-2012, 07:16 AM
The prednisone is hard on my emotions and I do go off over stupid things. I will gladly admit it however I think I would run over someone that said it to me!! LOL

magistramarla
04-27-2012, 03:13 PM
Shine,
I've experienced being told that "You might be a hypochondriac". by my PCP and a neuro acted as though he thought that I was just drug-seeking.
Both of those things are as far from the truth as can be. It took my hubby a long time to convince me to even see a PCP about the symptoms that were worrying him back in 2007. I had just assumed that I had the "family curse" of arthritis and kept on going.
I'm also very reluctant to take any drugs. I even had my babies at home to avoid them. Over the years, I've found that I'm either allergic or highly sensitive to most pain-relievers and a few antibiotics. I have to approach any new drug that is prescribed for me with great caution.
I think that a lot of docs are lazy. They want to find the easy answer, slap a label on us and dismiss us quickly. Most of them don't take time to get to know their patients and don't realize what kind of an affect their offhand remark can have.
You know your own body, Shine. Don't allow anyone else to get you down with their remarks.
Hugs,
Marla

rob
04-28-2012, 06:04 AM
I often find that people "kindly suggest" that the symptoms of Lupus I experience are because of, or to do with, my mental illness. I have always, for as long as I can remember, been accused of being a hyperchondriac.

People like that really piss me off.

When I encounter someone like that, I "kindly suggest" that they take their uninformed worthless opinion, and stick it where the sun doesn't shine.

Shine
04-29-2012, 07:16 PM
The prednisone is hard on my emotions and I do go off over stupid things. I will gladly admit it however I think I would run over someone that said it to me!! LOL

Since being on pred I will admit I have been weepy and needy which is not like me at all! I hate it...I feel completely neurotic, I keep telling my partner I feel unloved...it's so odd. I've looked into it and I'm not sure I should have been prescribed it bearing in mind I have bipolar disorder...I am only on a small dose though (7.5mg) But I tend to have the rarest and most bizarre side effects on the tiniest doses of meds. (Put it this way...I produced breast milk with one med...a 1 in 20,000 occurance, and even then only ever seen with high doses of this med. I was on 1mg. The standard dose is 25mg+) I don't want to come off the pred though, but I do also need to look after my mental health. Will discuss this with rheumy next week.