PDA

View Full Version : Pleurisy treatment

Adventure Racer
04-25-2012, 04:42 PM
For those of you that have been officially diagnosed with pleurisy, what was the specific course of action prescribed? I went to urgent care today and the doctor said I had pleurisy,and just to take 4 Advil every 6 hours for 3 days. I would like to know what other doctor's have prescribed as treatment plan.
Thanks!!

Mica
04-25-2012, 05:10 PM
I didn't think there was an exact treatment. Advil would work though it help bring down the inflammation. Most doctors would probably just give you one of those steroid packs.

tripLexie
04-26-2012, 06:04 AM
My doctor put me on Prednisone for that and joint pain. It didn't do much for the joint pain, but it did rid my pleurisy. It was also just a 10 mg dose for 1 week then down to 5 mg that I'm still currently on.

Prednisone really doesn't have a treatment though, other then taking the inflamation down. It sucks!!!

diane 50
04-28-2012, 01:00 PM
I was put on 5mg prednisone for a week and that didn't help he raised the dose to 20mg it worked great but had the pleurisy for about 8 weeks before I was on the 20. Hope you feel better soon

debbie-b
04-28-2012, 04:17 PM
My doctor told me to take an extra dose of Mobic, an anti inflamatory, which helped in about three days.
Hope you are feeling better soon.

Debbie

Adventure Racer
04-29-2012, 07:03 PM
Thanks everyone!!

Angel Oliver
05-01-2012, 03:37 PM
Sorry to hear you have it i had it 3 times last year and it hurts bad....gentle hugs.I was put on anti biotics, paracetamol and diclofenax i think it was called for inflamation.Im sure before i was put on steriods,but at christmas when i last had it he gave me anti biotics instead....it was awful,the pain.
love
Amanda.x

Tammy1962
05-01-2012, 03:55 PM
My doctor rarely increases my steriods for pleurisy pain treatment alone. However, he factors in the blood-work and other active symptoms--joints, fatigue, hair loss et al.

Those who have had it, know pleurisy can be very painful (which can be a little scary). Hang in there!