PDA

View Full Version : I am steaming mad.

debbie-b
04-25-2012, 04:56 AM
Yesterday at work ( a sort of grocery store), I found $ 40.00, turned it into my district manager ( who was in the office). After he took it from me, I asked him, how long I have to wait if nobody claims the money, until I get it.
He said the proper prucedure is as follow, " you have to ring up $40.00 into your register and if nobody claims it, it belongs to the company". I actually said, " excuse me, can you say that again?"
So of course he repeated the stupid " procedure". And I blurted out, " this is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard, you must be kidding".
By that time he is getting anoyed with me for undermining his authority ( like I care?) and he said " thats the way it is, like it or not". And I said, " well, I don't like it".
If I would have turned this money into the police, I would have gotten it after so many weeks, when nobody claimed it.
Why in the heck, would this money belong to the company, which is a multi billion company, is beyond me.
I am so mad, but not just because of the $40.00 bucks, I don't need it that much, but the fakt, that they think it would belong to them.
I am a 56 year old woman and will always do the right thing, but what are they teaching the young people.
All my coworkers said, that I was stupid to turn it in.
Next time I will turn it in to the police, I don't care what my stores procedure is.
What would have happened, if I would have found a bag with thousands of dollars, they would ring it up and keep it?
I am mad ,beyond mad.
About 30 years ago, I worked at a restaurant and found $100.00 and it was given to me, after two weeks.
I better calm down.

Debbie

steve.b
04-25-2012, 05:55 AM
if the company was in australia.....
there actions would be considered theft.

to keep something that does not belong to you is theft, whether you are a business or an indervidual.

i understand your reaction...
but it probably was not the most politically correct response.

rob
04-25-2012, 07:20 AM
Hi Debbie,

That's a pretty unfair policy. But, regardless of what this manager chose to do, I think what really matters is that at the end of the day, you took the high road and did the right thing by turning the money in.

Rob

Hunniebun
04-26-2012, 02:06 PM
That's what it was like when I worked for Save On Foods when I was a teenager. I was a Service Clerk so I would bag groceries, do price checks and help people carry their groceries out to their cars. I would get tipped by some customers and I was told that if I kept any of that money, I would be fired because it belonged to the company, not to me.
I was being paid 8 dollars an hour and the job is tougher than most people think. Most of the time I was RUNNING around the store because I was being called on the intercom every 5 minutes.

I quit that job, hated it.

debbie-b
04-27-2012, 04:18 AM
if the company was in australia.....
there actions would be considered theft.

to keep something that does not belong to you is theft, whether you are a business or an indervidual.

i understand your reaction...
but it probably was not the most politically correct response.

Well, he did say, if somebody would claim the money, we would have to make a "paid out" from the register.
As for not being "politically correct", that was just my reaction to a ridiculous company rule.
On top of that, he said, that I was the only one, who has turned in money, that was found.

Debbie

debbie-b
04-27-2012, 04:24 AM
Hi Debbie,

That's a pretty unfair policy. But, regardless of what this manager chose to do, I think what really matters is that at the end of the day, you took the high road and did the right thing by turning the money in.

Rob

Like I said, Rob, I have done the right thing, all my live and will not stop now.
But believe me, if I ever find money again, in my store, I will turn it in to the police. At least there I have a small chance of getting it, if nobody claims it. I will not help this company to get even richer, from money that doesn't belong to them. They have 1200 stores in the USA and about 600 in Europe, so you can imagine how much money they put into the register, that was found on the floor.

Debbie

debbie-b
04-27-2012, 04:33 AM
That's what it was like when I worked for Save On Foods when I was a teenager. I was a Service Clerk so I would bag groceries, do price checks and help people carry their groceries out to their cars. I would get tipped by some customers and I was told that if I kept any of that money, I would be fired because it belonged to the company, not to me.
I was being paid 8 dollars an hour and the job is tougher than most people think. Most of the time I was RUNNING around the store because I was being called on the intercom every 5 minutes.

I quit that job, hated it.

First of all, I also hate my job, it was supposed to be temporary, until I find something else, that was almost 7 years ago.
We also have the tipping policy, even though, we don't have baggers, but I have been tipped at the register before and I have told customers, that if I take the tip, I have to put it into the register. One guy told me, " can you follow me outside, i have to show you something in the parking lot". When I followed him outside, he gave me $20.00 and said " put it in your pocket".
I don't know, what these companies are thinking.

Debbie

magistramarla
04-27-2012, 03:29 PM
This is why I prefer to buy things at the military commissary or Base Exchange. We are expected to tip the baggers or the employees of the BX who offer to help us out to the car, and the money that we give them is their own.
Hugs,
Marla

debbie-b
04-28-2012, 03:47 PM
My district manager was at my store again today. He was so nice to me, it was almost nauseating ( I have enough lupus nausea without him), he finally asked me, if i was still upset, about the $40.00 and I told him, that it was never about the money, but the fact that the company would keep it. I told him, if he would have said that the company donates unclaimed money to charities, I would be soooo for that, but them keeping it is wrong.
You'll never guess, what he said," i agree with you, but i have to go by the company rule", I told him that I fully understand that, he is not the one who made this ridiculous rule.
I am back to being his favorite employee again, because I am so dern honest, not only when it comes to money, but with my emotions, I say what I think and he likes that.

Debbie