PDA

View Full Version : Low white blood cell count

Marine wife
04-24-2012, 10:20 AM
Okay, so this is all still new to me since I was only dx'd last month. I went to my rheumy the other day and my white blood cell count was low. I have to go back in 2 weeks to have it checked again. Now I know that it can be because the disease is active. But my questions is, if it stays down what do they do to try and bring it up?

tgal
04-24-2012, 05:38 PM
Low White Blood Cell Count can mean one of several things. Yes, it can mean that your disease is in its active state. It can also mean that you have an illness of some kind. If it turns out that it is the disease being active they will start adjusting your meds to try and get it under control. A lot of that will depend on how you are feeling.

Oh, one more thing... there will be more tests LOL
Always more test

steve.b
04-24-2012, 09:14 PM
the retest will be to eliminate other infections.
my white blood count, WBC, was that low, my doctor started me on prednisolone.
it will depend on the cause, as to what the treatment will be.

BonusMom
04-24-2012, 09:38 PM
I was prescribed 4 MG of Folic Acid daily to keep my WBC in a healthy range.

Marine wife
04-25-2012, 10:14 AM
Thanks everyone for the information! This is such uncharted territory for me and I didn't know if I should panic or not.

Marine wife
05-11-2012, 01:17 PM
Well my WBC has dropped even more! I'm now at 2.5. My rheumy took me completely off of Plaquenil. I have to go next Thursday to have blood drawn again and see him on Friday! I'm starting to panic!!

steve.b
05-11-2012, 08:37 PM
please do not panic too much yet.
it was my lack of white cells that got me to see my rhuemy.

in my case it was resolved with pred.
the plaquenil was started a couple of months later, (when my wbc was normal)

friday will reveal more information for you.
it is only 1 week away.
do not stress over something that is already being looked at.
stress is not good for you...... and will only harm you more.

Marine wife
05-18-2012, 10:14 AM
I am happy to report that my WBC has come up a bit to 3.4. He put me back on my Plaquenil only once a day but I will gladly take it. After only being off of it for 3 days I was reminded of how much I hate joint pain! And it was confirmed today that I do have secondary Sjogren's Syndrome and was prescribed pilocarpine. I have to continue to have my WBC count checked every two weeks until it comes up to a point where he is happy. I just remind myself that this is my new "normal".