View Full Version : Questions

Madonix
04-24-2012, 03:25 AM
Can lupus transmitted by blood?
Can a person with lupus donate blood?
Please answer to me.

running girl
04-24-2012, 04:16 AM
They won't take blood, where I live. My cousin needed a bone marrow transplant and i was turned down for that too. Lupus isn't contagious so i don't think it can be transmitted by blood, but i'm only guessing. There is often a lot wrong with our blood maybe that's why.
Again, I'm making assumptions about why they won't take it. Hopefully someone else can chime in with more information,
Brenda

steve.b
04-24-2012, 05:40 AM
first may i say hello, and welcome.
we are a world wide web site.
and i believe you are the first from serbia.

different countries have different rules.
before i was diagnosed....
i used to donate blood regularly.
in australia, (where i live), they are fussy who can donate blood.
lupus does not rule you out from donating blood...
but the medications we take does rule us out.
also if your lupus effects your blood, it will rule you out.

it is rare for a lupus patient to be able to donate blood or organs.

again welcome, please tell us little more about yourself.
one of the easiest ways is to write in your profile page.
please read mine to learn a little about me.

Ellie Hansen
04-24-2012, 07:28 AM
Hi, I actually used to give blood pretty regularly until I was permanently deferred because of being diagnosed with lupus. But, I did find out from my doctor, that I could donate blood and plasma for a biotech company that is trying to make better ways to treat and diagnose lupus - SeraCare Life Sciences. They need people who have positive lupus antibodies and they set me up to do some plasma donations (I only was eligible for 2). They collected my plasma because they said I had a high level of SSA and SSB antibodies. They require you to send recent blood work first before you can start and the girl who works there said most people only get to donate twice, it's not like an ongoing thing. But I was pleasantly surprised to find out that they provide $500 for each plasma donation - to compensate for time and effort. That little extra cash really helped pay some of my office visits and I wish I could go back to donate more. They are making diagnostic test kits so that lupus can be detected quicker and they are working on some better treatments. I definitely recommend checking them out - I know we can't post links on this site but maybe you can google them. It was nice knowing that I was contributing to research in a small way. By giving them my plasma, I helped a scientist research diagnosing and treating lupus. lol the money wasn't bad either!

I will say though that SeraCare told me some lupus people can't donate because we often have low hematocrit/iron levels. The FDA requires a certain level in order for you to be able to donate plasma and they have a physician who checks this first before your donation starts. And you're right that some medications can rule you out too, but you'd have to check with them. I'm taking prednisone and plaquinel and they said that was fine. My iron levels fluctuate but my doctor and the doctor at their donation center said I was fine.

Sorry had to add one more thing - I don't think lupus is transmitted by blood but I do know some people who had parents with lupus and then they got diagnosed with lupus, so I guess it could be genetic or inherited, but sorry I don't know for certain on that.

tripLexie
04-24-2012, 08:01 AM
Ellie, thanks so much for that post! I'm already looking into it now.

I used to donate every 2 months to United Blood Services. When I got dx'd, I immediatley told them at the next blood drive and they denied me. I've read that Lupus itself doesn't defer your from regular donation, unless otherwise specified by your dr. (blood disorders and such make for a no-no on donating).. And I even asked my doc.. But every company (and country) is different. The lady looked it up in this giant book and it said that I am permanetley deffered. I was sad.

I'm glad there is somewhere else I can possibly donate though!

Marine wife
04-24-2012, 10:15 AM
I was wondering the same thing yesterday when I saw them at the grocery store having a blood drive. I knew it wasn't transmitted through blood but I didn't know if the illness itself could keep us from donating. Now I know!

leaann
04-24-2012, 03:29 PM
I was told that the reason that I could not give blood was because of all the drugs in my system and what I know that is understandable. Hope you find the right answers.

tgal
04-24-2012, 05:27 PM
I was told the same thing. It is meds, more than anything, that stop us from giving blood. Having said that, we are also susceptible to many illnesses because our white blood cell count goes low. So no, Lupus can't be transmitted through blood but most of the time they won't take our blood due to other possible issues

steve.b
04-24-2012, 09:02 PM
ellie,
no advertising is allowed on the site.
but information links are different.

we often use links to other sites for educational purposes.

there is nothing wrong with posting the link for seracare,
as you are not trying to sell anything.

magistramarla
04-24-2012, 09:26 PM
I hope that this isn't too morbid, but when I pass on, I'm donating my brain to The Harvard Brain Tissue Resource Center for research. I'm doing this because I have Spasmodic Dysphonia and possibly another neurological based dystonia in my leg muscles. Heck, even Sjogren's might be having some neurological manifestations for me. That center is a tissue bank that provides tissue to many research organizations that are working on understanding and treating neurological diseases.
I hope that I can help future generations who have these issues.
Hugs,
Marla

steve.b
04-24-2012, 09:35 PM
I hope that this isn't too morbid, but when I pass on,....

i dont think it morbid.

i have told my family similar.
dontate my body to some research.
even to a school for forensic doctors.
make the end of my life help somebody.

i believe a body is just that.... a body.

i do not want people to spend thousands of dollars to dispose of a body.
i am happy for my body to be used to assist anyone.
as i can no longer donate organs, due to my medications,
why not find another use.

tgal
04-24-2012, 09:39 PM
I hope that this isn't too morbid, but when I pass on, I'm donating my brain to The Harvard Brain Tissue Resource Center for research. I'm doing this because I have Spasmodic Dysphonia and possibly another neurological based dystonia in my leg muscles. Heck, even Sjogren's might be having some neurological manifestations for me. That center is a tissue bank that provides tissue to many research organizations that are working on understanding and treating neurological diseases.
I hope that I can help future generations who have these issues.
Hugs,
Marla

I want to do the same thing

Ellie Hansen
04-25-2012, 04:43 AM
Thanks for clarifying steve! I just didn't want to be breaking any rules. The link is "http://www.idonateplasma.com" which automatically routes to their seracare.com donor page to get more info on how to become a donor for Lupus, or any another autoimmune disorder. they don't give out medications or anything, just collect some blood and plasma samples. it's interesting that researchers need us to discover treatments. I guess it makes sense when you think about it, but it have never crossed my mind until I stumbled upon them.

tripLexie
04-25-2012, 06:12 AM
I talked to the donor recrutiment lady yesterday, she said that my levels weren't 'high enough' but that I may be able to in the future. She does want me to do a blood donation though that they're doing in a few weeks.. They say all you need is a doctor's note confirming diagnosis and she needs 20 donors.. Right now she only has 6! I think she said it's $200 for the blood donation. Which would cover me a hell of a lot of expenses haha...