PDA

View Full Version : I have to share

tgal
04-23-2012, 06:55 PM
This has nothing to do with Lupus but I have to share this info with my friends. In Texas there is something called UIL. It is a competition in all areas between schools. It includes sports, FFA judging, academic contests just to name a few. My daughter competed in the Prose reading competition for district about 3 weeks ago and won first place. This past weekend she went to regionals and took the 1st place award there as well. Because of this she will be representing our region as the first place winner at the State Competition at the end of May! I can't say how proud I am of her and ask that everyone keep their fingers crossed that she gets the triple crown!

SleepyInSeattle
04-23-2012, 07:04 PM
That is wonderful!!!! You should be very, very proud. Did she read her own piece, or was it a dramatic reading of something else? Will she get to travel for the next phase? How exciting!!!! :-D
You must be a good mama....

tgal
04-23-2012, 07:27 PM
That is wonderful!!!! You should be very, very proud. Did she read her own piece, or was it a dramatic reading of something else? Will she get to travel for the next phase? How exciting!!!! :-D
You must be a good mama....

There are rules to each competition. She read 2 prose pieces. 1 had to be historical (she did part of "To Kill a Mockingbird") and the other could come off of a list (a piece from "The Broke Diaries"). She has been in this type of competition since elementary although the rules change and it gets harder at every level. Due to some issues with a teacher (who happened to be the coach of the speech team) she did not enter last year or this year. The day before regionals the teacher came to her and asked if she would enter because she lost 2 people and the team needed 3 (she had 3 and an alternate). My daughter accepted and spent that day finding the pieces, cutting 1 of them down to make it under the allowed 7 minutes and trying to memorize the introduction (which is required). After a nervous breakdown around 11PM that night she pulled it together and won against all the people who had been practicing since at least January!

She is amazing at doing voices and she uses them in her pieces so that each character has a distinct voice. Although I know how good she is the chance of going in less than 24 hours before district and winning is unheard of but she did it. She then went to regionals and took first place in it. She is one of only 2 people from her school going to State and the only one that is going in as the 1st place winner.

Yes, I am very proud LOL

steve.b
04-23-2012, 07:52 PM
these happy little moments make everything worth while.

kim,l
04-23-2012, 08:06 PM
mari i am so happy for you and your daughter i will keep my fingers crossed for her luv kim

Chesterwin
04-23-2012, 08:09 PM
Congrats! She sounds amazing, and to pull it all together at the last minute, under pressure is a life skill only a few posess. Nice to hear good news!

tgal
04-23-2012, 08:15 PM
Thanks for letting me share. There are not a lot of good things going on and it is nice to have one!!

BonusMom
04-24-2012, 03:35 AM
That is awesome, Mari! And to be able to pull this off with only a day's notice, only sweetens the victory.

Best of luck to tgal, jr in the next phase.

running girl
04-24-2012, 04:09 AM
There is nothing like a mother's pride.
Thanks for sharing the good news. Keep us posted on the next competition results.
Brenda

magistramarla
04-24-2012, 10:34 PM
Mari,
Congrats to you and your daughter. I'm very familiar with UIL competitions, both as a Mom and as a teacher. I know that the competition there in Texas is fierce, so that is quite an accomplishment.
All of her accomplishments will look great on her resume when she applies to colleges.

Here's what I told my kids and my students, and you might want to tell her.
Apply to at least one "sure bet" school, such as a local one. For Heather, that was UT Austin.
Apply to at least one in-state "dream school". Heather applied to Rice (That one might be excellent for your girl - nearby, too)
Apply to your "wildest dream" school. Heather applied to MIT, Stanford and Cal Tech.

Heather was accepted at all of them! It turned out that a "wildest dream" school gave her the best offer. She went to Cal Tech for five years and they provided lots of scholarships, grants and she had less than 10K in student loans for the entire time.

Tell your daughter to do her research and apply for everything and everywhere that interests her. She sounds like the kind of young lady that the schools will really want to get their hands on.
Hugs to both of you,
Marla