PDA

View Full Version : a quick question...

terrie_m
04-20-2012, 07:42 AM
I was diagnosed with polycythemia in 2005 and recently was told that B12 and Folic acid supplements could possibly help with my blood counts what I wanted to know is if that could/would have a negative affect on any autoimmune disorder?

steve.b
04-20-2012, 08:06 AM
many of us take "b" suppliments. and folic acid.

but as we are not doctors, and do not know exactly what you have.......
it is probably something to discuss with your doctor or chemist.

terrie_m
04-20-2012, 08:10 AM
thank you I don't generally try anything until I see my Dr which I do on Monday just wanted some input a friend recommended it to me as she heard it on a Dr's radio show which happened to mention that high RBC is often attributed to the lack of both and thought I would mention this to the Dr as for me it's easier than the phlebotomies I have to get.

steve.b
04-20-2012, 08:14 AM
there is a reason we need both of these.
if you have high levels, and take suppliments as well, it is not good for you.
but generally with our medical conditions, we are low in both.

terrie_m
04-20-2012, 08:33 AM
I have a blood disorder that causes mine to be high but mind you my Dr only suggested the high doses of aspirin and phlebotomies for the high rbc my ana came back positive as well as a high SSB so of course more blood work will be done on Monday which he generally does anyway just not as extensive it's not likely that I truly have an autoimmune disorder as I have found out that there have only been 2 confirmed cases with polycythemia and lupus but I am just looking at it as a possibility as I know I have raynauld's and my sister and mother and 2 grandbabies have autoimmune disorders.

steve.b
04-20-2012, 08:37 AM
i wish you luck with your doctors appointment.