PDA

View Full Version : What can I do for nausea?

xdunlapx
04-12-2012, 06:12 PM
I've been getting slightly sick to my stomach (not enough to vomit though) several times a day for a few days now. I've tried antacid and that doesn't help. Is there anything I can do? Is that even a possible symptom of SLE? I just think it's odd that I'm not sick with the flu or anything and I'm feeling nauseated. My blood sugar isn't low so that's not it. Plus I've got this headache that happens when I get nauseated. It's not a bad headache just one that's there and lingering. I can't take more tylenol yet so I'm not sure what to do.

ritzbit2
04-12-2012, 06:27 PM
Be careful taking things like tums if your on any meds. Things like that can absorb your pills or something like that so it just messes you up more. I would ask before taking them. I'm in the same boat as you. I take prilosec for reflex. If you find something else let me know because I'm pretty miserable right now.

xdunlapx
04-12-2012, 06:30 PM
Yes, I know I can't take tums or other antacid like pepcid complete (it has antacid in it) 2 hrs before OR after my regular meds. My cholesterol pills wont work if I take tums within 2 hrs of taking my pills. Sometimes it's a juggling act trying to fix my stomach issue if it's near time or after I take my pills. Ugh. I think the nausea is going away now. Still have the headache though. GRR I'll mention this to my doctor when I see him on monday. Maybe he'll have some answers.

I wish you luck with your stomach issue. I Hope you can find something that helps.

ritzbit2
04-12-2012, 06:33 PM
See no one forewarned me of that for a long time and I was taking tums around the clock when I was having stomach issues. Live and learn I suppose.lol I hadn't eaten hardly anything in a few days and then ate today and I really regret it I feel so much worse now.

xdunlapx
04-12-2012, 06:38 PM
aww i hope you feel better soon. I wish I knew how to help you.

rob
04-12-2012, 06:40 PM
Hi xdunlapx,

I get that odd nauseous feeling from time to time-definitely sick to my stomach, but not to the point of vomiting. In my case, I really don't know the reason for feeling this way. My Dr. told me it could be from any number of things associated with Lupus and/or various meds.

Upon my Dr.'s recommendation, I've taken the antiemetic (anti nausea) OTC drug Dramamine for this, as well as the antihistamine Benadryl, which has a mild antiemetic effect. They both do a fair job of taking away the nausea for me. They do have the side effect of making me drowsy, so I consider that when taking them, and I'm careful of what activities I engage in when taking them.

Of course, I only took them after consulting with both my G.P. and with my Neurologist to be sure that there would be no harmful interaction with the meds that I was already on at the time. Always consult with your Dr. before taking any additional meds, as even OTC meds can have dangerous interactions with the existing meds that you are already taking.

Rob

xdunlapx
04-12-2012, 06:45 PM
Ah ok rob, thanks :) As far as I know I am allowed to take benedryl. But I'll wait it out till I see my doc on monday and ask him waht I can do for it. I am on a lot of meds and even right now none of them are lupus related as I'm not diagnosed yet. Luckily my nausea and headache are gone now. It comes and goes throughout the day. My temp hasn't changed much which I checked just a moment ago thinking it may have gone up higher but it hadn't. I've been recording my temp around this time of day on my google calendar. Just started doing that yesterday. So I'm going to start making note of my nauesated episodes and pain and fever, etc. I'm really wondering if that'll help my doctor diagnose me. I want answers! :P But we all do. I know it'll take time. I hate waiting.

rob
04-12-2012, 06:46 PM
Be careful taking things like tums if your on any meds. Things like that can absorb your pills or something like that so it just messes you up more. I would ask before taking them.

Very true. Antacids can have a drastic effect on the absorption of certain drugs, in some cases rendering that drug ineffective like you never took it in the first place. Excellent point Ritz.

ruziska
04-12-2012, 08:13 PM
For nausea I find nothing works better for me than ginger. I take capsules and it works like a charm

xdunlapx
04-12-2012, 08:19 PM
Oh I hadn't thought of ginger. I'll have to try that. If the nausea keeps hitting me I'll buy some. Is it in a regular grocery store with the other supplements?

EJRN
04-12-2012, 08:37 PM
Someone mentioned to me just the other day that Jello water is sometimes used for nausea in cancer patients. It sounds gross to me because I am not a fan of Jello but maybe you could give it a try?

rob
04-12-2012, 08:42 PM
For nausea I find nothing works better for me than ginger. I take capsules and it works like a charm

My Mom, who also has SLE and frequent nausea, takes the same sort of ginger capsules, and they do indeed work well for her.

xdunlapx
04-12-2012, 08:51 PM
Jello water? I didn't know that. BUT I can't eat jello or any high vitamin K foods because I'm on coumadin for blood clots in my lungs (which by now I believe are gone)... But I'll be off of the coumadin later this month YAY! So if/when I get nauseated then I'll try ginger and jello water (not at the same time haha).

I'm glad they work well for her, rob. It's important to find help anywhere you can find it. Is there any specific dosage that works best? I don't want ot get the strongest out there if a lesser amount would do fine.

rob
04-12-2012, 08:57 PM
I'm glad they work well for her, rob. It's important to find help anywhere you can find it. Is there any specific dosage that works best? I don't want ot get the strongest out there if a lesser amount would do fine.

I'll have to ask her the next time I see her. Ginger is one of those home remedies that actually shows promise and positive results for many people in controlling nausea.

xdunlapx
04-12-2012, 09:02 PM
I'll have to ask her the next time I see her. Ginger is one of those home remedies that actually shows promise and positive results for many people in controlling nausea.

I know that drinking ginger ale when sick with the flu is supposed to help nausea. Ooh ginger ale would be good.. I'll have to get some diet ginger ale. Sounds yummy.

Mica
04-13-2012, 02:35 PM
Ginger ale never works for me because the carbonation seems to make it worse. I love those otter popsicles, they help so much settling my stomach. And they are cheap and delicious. If the nausea is that bad I will take phenergan and I doubt it wouldn't be that hard for you to get your doctor to give you a prescription.

xdunlapx
04-16-2012, 08:26 AM
Yeah I'll talk to my doctor about it today when I see him. The nausea isn't that bad but it is noticible and makes me lose my appetite completely. I think it happened 4 times yesterday, which is about the norm for me now.

ruziska
04-16-2012, 03:04 PM
You can get ginger capsules at the health food stores or crystallized ginger in the baking aisle. You can even get regular powdered ginger in the spice section and make a tea from it as strong or weak as you'd like

xdunlapx
04-16-2012, 04:45 PM
Oh, great, thanks ruziska :) I'll be on the look out for them. We'll see how it goes for a while and if it continues, i'll get some. I don't want to get some and then the nausea disappears then the spice goes bad... :P

GingerOsborn
05-22-2012, 12:08 AM
I had the same issue! My doctor prescribed me promethazine works like a charm settles my stomach and brings my appetite back!