PDA

View Full Version : Lupus flare during PMS

tdeyne
05-12-2006, 09:23 AM
Does anyone here get a flare right before their period?! About a week or so before my period, I get these what I like to call 'mini flares'....Hot, achy, painful joints, and fatigue..You know..the usual flare stuff....Then when I get my period it disappears...I have asked my rheumie about this time and time again...he has NO clue about it....I've asked my ob/gyn...She has not a clue about it....Maybe I should be asking a FEMALE rhemie?! Has anyone here ever experienced this though? :?

kelibeli
05-12-2006, 10:25 AM
From everything I have learned from people on this site it's not too uncommon. I have also read a lot of articles that indicate many women experience flares with PMS.

Like you, my symptoms worsen about a week before. Especially achy joints, fatigue, and migraines. I have a male rheumy as well and as much as I like him I am probably going to find a female doctor. I have too many issues that are female related that are difficult to discuss with a male doctor who hasn't a clue.

One thing that may help: I have found that if I work through the fatigue and joint pain and try to exercise at least a little bit during that PMS week, the worsened symptoms don't seem to last as long. If I don't exercise it could last up to two weeks.

Good luck!

goodnightjunebug
05-13-2006, 12:50 PM
Hi , I just asked my male rheummy and he said it is very common to have hormonal "mini" flares. Mine start 3-4 days before and seem to die down as the next week progresses. Gotta love them hormones! Menopause doesn't look like such a bad thing! :wink: Junebug

tdeyne
05-13-2006, 03:48 PM
Thanks a lot for the replies...You guys are the best....Being that Lupus is so hormone senstitive, pregnancy REALLY scares me...My hubby have talked to my rheumie and we're going to give it a shot...But I will admit, I am kind of worried because I mean if I get 'mini flares' with PMS because my hormones are out of wack, what about when my pregnancy hormones have me out of wack ya know?!! Does anyone here have any kids? If so, how was your pregnancy? I would LOVE to hear everyone's stories...

Livingdaybyday
05-19-2006, 10:46 AM
Boy thats sounds just like me actually thats how I really started finding out how sick I actually was because of these mini flares..... I get them about the time of ovulation until my period starts really bad about a week before my period is the worst of it......... I was getting"sick" every month..... The first told me I was crazy but I know now Im not..... No diagnosis yet they dont know which way its going to manifest itself into but I have lupus symptoms and some positive blood work...... fibro, reynauds,EBV reaccurant, and on the way to the next diagnosis lol.... I have to laugh cause thats what gets me through it all..........Just had an EMG done and nerve conduction test they think I may have nerve involvement thats what flares the worst for me during those mini flares... Burning in the legs and arms that would make you want to cut them off....... cant even make it up steps sometimes..... cant pick my daughter up, Im a stylist so it even causes me to not be able to work sometimes..... But the worst is the migraine that goes along with it........ Terrible!!!!!!!! However I keep smilling cause thats what helps me through........

TracyDawn
05-19-2006, 12:43 PM
Well I have to tell you, I've had a hysterectomy (total, nothing left, had it at age 26 and I'm now 31) and I still have days during the month when I think I am going to start my period again. I ache everywhere and the fevers start up again. It kind of reminds me of the phantom limb thing for an amputee. I know there is nothing there but it doesn't stop the cramps and all that. It lasts for a few days then quiets back down. The strangest thing.
I also wanted to say I have one child. I have always been the "sick" child in my family but the symptoms really showed up 2 weeks after I delivered my son. Started on my face after being in the sun taking pics and Bry was jaundice so he had to have the exposure. But I've never tolerated the sun well. When I was pregnant I had pre-eclampsia and was induced three days early. I was sooooo swollen through most of my pg that from 6 months on I wore house slippers to work and had to walk around in socks when I got there. I was MISERABLE and was begging them to induce me by 7 months. I hurt everywhere. So I think that was the lupus starting to show it's ugly little head. BUT I wouldn't change any of it. You already deal with the aches and pains lupus brings, so as long as your body can handle actually being pregnant I think you will be fine. And the joy you get at the end of that time is worth all the pain and more. I was told I'd never have kids (tumor, cysts and endo) but I managed to have one before everything was taken out including ovaries so he really is my miracle child and the greatest blessing I could have ever been given. Just make sure you work closely with your dr and stay in tune with your body when you get pregnant and hopefully all will be well. Good luck and keep us updated. {{HUG}}

tdeyne
05-19-2006, 05:02 PM
Livingdaybyday-
I know EXACTLY what you mean...People had me thinking I was crazy too...But I knew that I wasn't....My heart goes out to you....Things will get better for you...I will keep you in my prayers...Keep me in yours too if you don't mind. :)

TracyDawn-
Thanks so much for your story. It brought tears to my eyes...It gives me so much hope...I know there's a huge chance that I will get sick also, but I pray that I will feel the way you did, in that it's all worth it in the end. Thanks a lot. :)

November_Rain
09-01-2013, 12:13 AM
Hey guys..I too have lupus. It was found during my last pregnancy after I kept experiencing severe pains from about the eighth week! I had three other children but this pregnancy felt unusually painful. My repeated attempts at relief and complaints of unusual fatigue finally caused my doctor to test after years of visiting for the SAME symptoms. I knew I was "sick" a lot but I would never have come up with lupus....frequent colds, flu and bouts with pneumonia. bronchitis, fatigue, and joint pain so bad i was limping sometimes! Now I have flares every month during ovulation, up until my period, and frequent panic attacks during that time..My rheumy doesn't understand also (male). I am getting a female doctor. My heart goes out to everyone here because it's a constant struggle and i believe it leaves the male doctors stumped as to what direction to take with women and pms causing our flares..I'm still researching different methods for relief during that time...and i want to thank everyone for sharing your stories.

Jaynie
09-21-2013, 08:31 AM
hi :)

I have five kids. All whilst I was experiencing Lupus. My symptoms actually improved, but then some of the usual pregnancy things were harder because I was already not particularly strong. My kids are 17, 16, 15, 11, 10 so you can see I had them close together. It was hard, sometimes I struggled but they gave me purpose and I was absolutely convinced that I was invincible and had to have children! Everyone else worried, and I suppose it doesn't sound ideal. I did have a lot of them and it WAS hard, but all I did was take care of them. My life revolved around them and I learned to prioritise and use all the energy I had.
I am poorlier now and I often wonder whether that's because I don't have the physical strength anymore because I don't have the constant physical pressure on me.
The kids are all very well adjusted and realistic. They have to go without some stuff, like clubs and things because I simply don't have the energy to run them around, but they have turned out really well, and I'm not just saying that, people are always commenting on how lovely they are.
I guess I'm lucky that Gods plan for me included some of my plan for me too! The docs told me I wouldn't be able to have children because of Lupus, but everything was straightforward. Nothing in this world is guaranteed. I thank God for my kids every single day!

jx

lucky7
09-21-2013, 07:35 PM
JAYNIE, all I've got to say about this PMS thing is OH HELL YES! LOL