PDA

View Full Version : Itching after shower..

Shine
04-10-2012, 11:03 PM
My skin generally does not bother me...until I have a shower. Then I itch so intensely it is driving me insane. I have changed my shower products to all natural, soap free, ph balanced stuff...but it doesn't make a difference. I have enough trouble getting my arse into the shower each day (reckon thats a depression thing) and this puts me off even more...I don't want to end up smelling though! For the sake of my sanity (and my girlfriends nostrils) please somebody give me clue!

Is it just another of those annoying lupus symptoms?
Side effect of a medication? (I'm taking plaquenil and prednisone)
Should I contact my general doc or my rheumy?
Any over the counter remedies I could try? I can't take anti-histamines because of other meds I'm on.

Please help!

running girl
04-11-2012, 01:51 AM
Hi Shine,

I suspect the heat is irritating your skin. I have chronic itchy skin and rash. Heat really irrigates it.

The water doesn't have to be freezing, but i suspect a few degrees lower will give you some relief. Also, don't scratch, no matter how much you want to, try to get your mind of of it, or cover the area with a cold cloth. Scratching makes it so much worse.

Good luck, let me know if that works.
Brenda

rob
04-11-2012, 03:47 AM
Hi Shine,

I suspect the heat is irritating your skin. I have chronic itchy skin and rash. Heat really irrigates it.

The water doesn't have to be freezing, but i suspect a few degrees lower will give you some relief. Also, don't scratch, no matter how much you want to, try to get your mind of of it, or cover the area with a cold cloth. Scratching makes it so much worse.

Good luck, let me know if that works.
Brenda

Yep, same thing happens with me. Hot water triggers that weird burning under your skin type of itch everytime. Scratching makes it worse, and the cold cloth trick definitely helps.

Before Lupus, steaming hot showers, and time in the jacuzzi were regular daily things for me. Now it's lukewarm to cool showers, and I sold the jacuzzi.

steve.b
04-11-2012, 05:20 AM
i agree with the others.
hot showers make my skin alive.
it tingles for hours.
i have found though that a good scrub with ph neutral soap and a "defoliating scrubber", (whatever they are called)
does help.
if i scrub properly, the heat does not effect as much.
if i miss a spot it gets itchy.

ruziska
04-11-2012, 01:37 PM
I have the same problem. Worse in the winter. In my case it's nothing that moisturizer won't take care of. Montana is a very dry state and I go through moisturizer by the gallon. I get most of mine from the health food stores, staying away from petroleum based products. I can't remember the name of it because I buy it in bulk and refill my own bottle, but it is a lavender based lotion- all natural, no petroleum products whatsoever, smells divine and works like a charm!

Shine
04-11-2012, 05:47 PM
Thankyou everyone...not looking forward to cool showers as its just turned winter here but it's got to be better than the itching! It is soooooooo hard not to scratch but I reckon putting on some cool unperfumed body lotion might do the trick. I will try that when I pluck up the courage to freeze my bum off in the shower!

running girl
04-11-2012, 06:26 PM
Hahaha Cool showers help to cut down the water bill. You will be done in a fraction if the time.

Enjoy!

I start with a warm shower and then turn down the temperature gradually. Don't worry you will get used to it.

magistramarla
04-11-2012, 08:48 PM
Shine,
Like Rita, I've found that slathering on the moisturizer while I'm still a bit damp from the shower really helps. I've found one that is a shea butter that feels wonderful and smells even better. It's call Vivo Per Lei.
Hugs,
Marla

Shine
04-11-2012, 09:21 PM
I love Shea butter! Or cocoa butter. Will definitely try this. Thank you.

Shine
04-13-2012, 10:08 PM
It works!! Kind of...

I've had cold showers the past few days and the itching is far less severe. Still there but only like a tingling rather than an intense itch. Using the moisturiser helps take the edge off too.

It's a bit of a bugger because warm showers provide a lot of relief to my aching muscles and joints. But I cannot hack the itching. So, I suppose it depends which is worse on which day!

Thankyou for your help again, cool showers all the way through winter for meeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!

Mica
04-14-2012, 11:43 AM
I love that dove moisturizer bar soap that works great for me and it's pretty inexpensive.