PDA

View Full Version : Green onions good for us or not?

chikititalinda
04-09-2012, 11:55 AM
So I just read the following article, sounds like green onions would be great for us, but it contains Sulfa which I've heard the contrary of. Any thoughts?

Spring OnionsSometimes called scallions or green onions, these mild young shoots won’t bring tears to your eyes or leave a pungent smell on your skin after you cut them -- and both their white bulbs and tall green stems can be added to recipes for a dash of flavor and color. Spring onions are rich in sulfur -- a nutrient that helps your pancreas burn carbs for fuel before they can be stowed away as fat, say Stanford University researchers. Sulfur is also a powerful tissue-healing anti-inflammatory that helps protect your tummy from the ravages of ulcer-causing H. pylori bacteria, say researchers at the State University of New York at Albany

Read More http://www.ivillage.com/top-10-spring-foods-weight-loss/4-b-331269#ixzz1rZSXBZHd

tripLexie
04-09-2012, 01:02 PM
I don't have much to offer on the subject.. Though I do hope to find that they are in fact okay for us to eat- I love them!

rob
04-09-2012, 01:12 PM
I think there's a common mixup here between two very similar and easily confused words. Those words being Sulfa, and Sulfur. Sulfa refers to a class of anti-bacterial drugs known as Sulfonamides, or Sulfa Drugs for short.

Sulfur, simply refers to the common element of the same name. The Element Sulfur, and the class of drugs called Sulfonamides are chemically completely unrelated, and the element Sulfur does not cause any dangerous allergic reaction like Sulfa drugs are known to in many people, including those of us with autoimmune disorders.

So enjoy your green onions, scallions, and chives, as they are safe to eat and will not hurt you. It's a good thing too, because what would a baked potato be without butter, sour cream, and a mountain of finely chopped green onions on top?

Rob

n.mac
04-09-2012, 02:57 PM
Great news as I agree I love green onions and chives.

I read some where that 25% of lupies are allergic to sulfa- I know I am. Shrimp and sulfa I'm good with every thing else.

DrinkofWtr
04-09-2012, 03:10 PM
Glad to know I can eat green onions. Glad to know sulfa drugs and the sulfa associated with green onions are too different things because I am allergic to sulfa, but like green onions when they don't cause my acid reflex to go bananas..

kim,l
04-09-2012, 05:54 PM
its funny you mentioned this my mother also has lupus like i do as well as irritable bowel. she went to dietician the other day and they told her only eat the green leafy part of shallots i suppose that is what you call green onions because the white part can affect bowels . i have never heard of this has anyone one else . like you i love green onions.according to them it can make arthritis worse i find this hard to believe. so many doctors tell us different things i am getting confused.

magistramarla
04-09-2012, 09:19 PM
I'm glad that they are good for us, since I have a lovely crop of chives growing in my herb garden!
Kim, everyone seems to have differing opinions when it comes to food and disease.
I think that you just need to eat a healthy diet for you. Experiment a bit and find out what does or does not irritate your body.

My daughter Hillary is severely gluten and lactose intolerant, and she feels incredibly better without those foods.
Kayla has IBS, so she has a different list of foods that bother her.
I'm lucky and I seem to be able to eat anything and everything without problems. I have noticed that now that I've cut way back on sugar, I don't tolerate sweet stuff very well, but that's a good thing!
Hugs,
Marla