PDA

View Full Version : It's SPRING - I need something POSITIVE!!!!

SleepyInSeattle
04-07-2012, 05:47 PM
I am still coming to terms with my diagnoses of Lupus, Sjogren's, Raynaud's and APS. The more I learn, the more it all SUCKS. It's making me kinda crazy.

So - we talk a lot about what sucks - but what do you feel GOOD about?

Could be something external - "I am proud of my garden", or "I know how to knit really well"....or maybe "My family is great", "I love watching the hummingbirds in my back yard"..."I cook amazing chili"..."I love laughing at stupid sitcoms" - whatever.

Or it could be something that fees good about YOU - "Well, at least my toenails don't hurt!" or "I took a lovely walk in the sunshine today".

Big or small...let's count our blessings...? I need to see the bright spots....

Personally, I am so proud of my wonderful daughter, and am grateful for my husband and my amazing animals, who don't judge me and make me feel good. Even on bad days, I feel lucky. Oh - and I like my new haircolor! :-P

Anybody else?....

rob
04-07-2012, 07:16 PM
Here where I live, the Bangor Humane Society had a pet adoption drive that was supposed to run the entire weekend. By noon on Saturday every single animal at the shelter had been adopted. All 101 cats, dogs, and other pets, went to good homes. For the first time ever, our local humane society is empty. Every single pet found a home. It's frakking awesome news.

My father was very involved with charity and volunteer work for the humane society, and he would have been very proud to see this happen.

Rob

magistramarla
04-07-2012, 08:42 PM
Hey Sleepy!
I like this thread!
I have a lot to be thankful for, but I think that my family is what fills me with the most pride - and a chance to brag a bit:

Hubby Jeff is working hard on his PHD in computer cyber security, helping to keep the DOD computers safe.

Heather is finishing her Neurobiology Post-doc and just accepted a position in DC, working on Science Policy for the US.
Her hubby Eric is a tenured professor of Political Science at NYU.

Hillary is a Director in management at USAA in San Antonio, a fortune 500 company that provides insurance and banking for the military.
Her Hubby Steve is finishing up his Masters in Child Psychology and about to begin on a PHD.
Hillary's son David will soon be 13, and they have a new baby due in October.

Tom is an executive in charge of software development and training for a company in Houston, as well as a Marine veteran of the Iraq War.
He and his lovely lady, Sharon, have just announced that they are getting married this summer.

Kayla is an operations manager for Best Buy in the Denver area.
Her fiancee, Perry, is a general manager for Office Max in the Denver area.
Kayla's son Kyle will soon be 7.

Meghan is currently working as a veterinary lab technician, but she's also an expert dog trainer and groomer.
Her hubby, Tyler, is an electrician on the huge C130 planes and an Air Force Staff Sergeant. They are about to move to Germany.
Their son Ryan is 2 1/2.

I'm also proud of the career that I had as a Latin teacher, and I enjoyed influencing a few young minds.

Life has been pretty good for me, so even though the pain of having AI issues has slowed me down a bit, I can't complain too much.
Hugs,
Marla

magistramarla
04-07-2012, 08:48 PM
Here where I live, the Bangor Humane Society had a pet adoption drive that was supposed to run the entire weekend. By noon on Saturday every single animal at the shelter had been adopted. All 101 cats, dogs, and other pets, went to good homes. For the first time ever, our local humane society is empty. Every single pet found a home. It's frakking awesome news.

My father was very involved with charity and volunteer work for the humane society, and he would have been very proud to see this happen.

Rob

Rob,
That is wonderful news! Conner and I are working with a group here on the Monterey Peninsula called The Institute for Canine Studies. They are trying to raise the funds to build a facility to train service dogs and therapy dogs. Conner was asked to be a spokesdog and we're attending their fundraising events.
We get to attend one at the Pebble Beach Golf Club in a few weeks!
Hugs,
Marla

Oluwa
04-07-2012, 10:08 PM
Sleepy in Seattle...It didn't rain at my house..did it shine on your end? Hope we get sunshine again, eh....rarity for us.

4664 Isn't he cute? He is going to get an Easter basket full of holey socks. So I can wear them and he can get at my toes easier. I am not a hairstylist as you can tell by the hack job, but once he gets his shots, first stop a groomer. You think he needs a little gel to give him some lift in his hair? Hugs..

steve.b
04-07-2012, 10:11 PM
what makes me happy.

my grandchildren's hugs.
that is my biggest joy at the moment.

dylan has just turned 4.
he is trouble for mum and dad.....
but with me he is always good.

tia is 2 1/2 and full of energy.

tahlia is also 2 1/2 and loves our horses.

levi has just turned 1 and loves to sink his head into your shoulder when he hugs.

they are a very noisy bunch so i need to escape often.
but when they want a hug....... the world stops.

running girl
04-08-2012, 06:20 AM
Sleepy - great thread idea, thanks!

Yesterday I made perogies for the first time, using my mom's recipe. I felt her with me as i covered everything within 20 feet of the the kitchen in flour,including my dog.
My tulips are blooming.
My hubby removed my winter tires for summer tires yesterday.
My kids are my life and i'm so proud.

It's a gorgeous day!! We are on our way to Toronto to spend the day with family. It doesn't get much better than that.

Brenda

rob
04-08-2012, 06:32 AM
Yesterday I made perogies for the first time, using my mom's recipe. I felt her with me as i covered everything within 20 feet of the the kitchen in flour,including my dog.

Perogies=Mmmmmmm!

Nonna
04-08-2012, 06:40 AM
Great thread! What makes me happy is watching my grandchildren grow, watching the girls play softball. Watching Tj learn the realities of life. Getting hugs from them. Hearing my other two grandsons say Hello Nonna over the telephone. Getting their hugs when I visit.

My 2 cat and now just one dog. Julius Caesar is very lonely without Princess so he needs extra attention.

There are so many good things in our lives we just need to remind ourselves about them

BarbaraB
04-08-2012, 07:06 AM
In January while recovering from surgery I taught myself to knit.....and I'm off and running. It's opened up a whole new world for me. Beautiful colors and textures and patterns!!!!! Now I'm waiting for my knitting machine to arrive. I've designed the table for it and today hopefully I'll get the wood cut. It's something I can do when I'm feeling good or not. I can move it from room to room. There's a shelter that needs animal blanket donations, friends that need baby blankets and lap blankets, a kidney center that needs blankets for patients while they have their dialysis. All of my sweaters are now too big for me so I need new ones. Yesterday I finished my first project that actually used a pattern and I learned so many things. I haven't been able to work for a while, but now I feel useful again!
I've never had a homemade perogie but I love the frozen ones that you boil and then fry. May have to send hubby to the store now........
Good day to all!

running girl
04-08-2012, 07:16 AM
Hey Barb, you just reminded me how much i love to knit. I haven't done it in a while, so while you're out looking for perogies, I'll be digging out some wool.

I knit socks and give them as gifts. "Nothing says lovin' like home knit socks!" Lol - at least that's what I tell everyone.

I love that you are knitting for the shelter and the hospital. I can only imagine the impact that would have on a patient. Good for you!

Brenda

SleepyInSeattle
04-08-2012, 09:55 AM
Thank you, everybody - this is great - I have a huge smile and a warm heart reading this. :-)

It makes me feel good to know that through all the suffering, we have things that feel good - that we are not just a collection of symptoms, but whole human beings with joy in our lives. And in the end, that's what it's all about, right? All this other stuff is just a distraction....a huge one that we need support for, to be sure...but it's so nice to see each other as whole people, not just Lupus-suffers.

I wish you all continuing and increasing joy, though it all!!!!!

Maybe we should have a "JOY" thread where we can record these things every now and then, and if we need a lift, or to remind ourselves of life outside illness, we can go and read - and maybe be reminded of our own little bits of happiness when they seem to be shrouded in misery.

DrinkofWtr
04-08-2012, 10:56 AM
I am thankful for the job that my boyfriend obtained recently, and for the birds singing outside my home, and for my friend, Terri, who always puts a smile on my face with her cheerful disposition, even in the midst of adversity.

magistramarla
04-09-2012, 08:17 PM
Hey Barb, you just reminded me how much i love to knit. I haven't done it in a while, so while you're out looking for perogies, I'll be digging out some wool.

I knit socks and give them as gifts. "Nothing says lovin' like home knit socks!" Lol - at least that's what I tell everyone.

I love that you are knitting for the shelter and the hospital. I can only imagine the impact that would have on a patient. Good for you!

Brenda

I'm busy with the yarn too, but I'm crocheting. I've made it sort of a tradition that I crochet a baby blanket whenever there is a new grandchild on the way.
Hugs,
Marla

tgal
04-09-2012, 09:13 PM
I know this doesn't mean much to anyone else but my daughter is a Jr. in High School and she is the ONLY Jr. to make it to the All "A's" lunch the entire year! She is currently number 6 in her class but is moving up quickly. She is my light in the sea of the Lupus darkness and I don't know what I would do without her

steve.b
04-09-2012, 09:16 PM
I know this doesn't mean much to anyone else but my daughter is a Jr. in High School and she is the ONLY Jr. to make it to the All "A's" lunch the entire year! She is currently number 6 in her class but is moving up quickly. She is my light in the sea of the Lupus darkness and I don't know what I would do without her

one proud mummy.

magistramarla
04-09-2012, 09:25 PM

Mari,
You have reason to be proud. Graduating in the top ten from one of the huge Texas schools really means something. I hope that she has a fantastic senior year. Her future will be bright.
Hugs,
Marla

tgal
04-09-2012, 09:31 PM
Mari,
You have reason to be proud. Graduating in the top ten from one of the huge Texas schools really means something. I hope that she has a fantastic senior year. Her future will be bright.Hugs,
Marla
Ot

It isn't one of the huge schools however she is into everything and still is keeping her GPA up. She is taking 2 dual courses next year and she is headed to regional s in in UIL Pros. I am really proud of her!

DrinkofWtr
04-10-2012, 08:14 AM
Mari, It's awesome that your daughter is such a scholar. What is the UIL pros? I am so bad at figuring out abbreviations.

chikititalinda
04-10-2012, 08:17 AM
This is an awesome thread, most of the time we just complain but annalizing life there are plenty of things that make me happy.
My hubby is amazing, we've been together 23 yrs and counting. He still does things like bring me flowers "just because" and we still have date night.
My kids, all three of them are wonderful. They all help around the house, even if It's because I have to ask.
I have a cozy home, and a soft bed where I can lay my head at night.
oh how can I leave out my faithful companion Rocky, who's always by my side. he's my four year old boxer who thinks he's a real boy lol.
I still have a job, even thought at times I wish I didn't have to work. I feel blessed working for such a place that would allow me to take a nap and refresh my self before I continue to work.
Im so grateful for the handful of friends who have been threre through thick and thin for me.
Im also grateful for my family, especially my mom who's always looking out for me, and helping me anyway she can.
Im grateful to have insurance, although I know Im sick Im able to partially keep this wolf semi managed.
Wow it feels great to write about positive things, slowly my mouth has curled up in the biggest smile, because I've noticed how lucky, loved and blessed I am. Even though I know this, is nice to remind myself as we tend to take things for granted sometimes.