PDA

View Full Version : Sunscreen for the face.

Shine
04-04-2012, 06:06 PM
I've posted this in the medication forum, as my partner pointed out yesterday, sunscreen is now pretty much one of my medications.

I was wondering if someone could recommend a non-greasy high protection sunscreen/block specifically for the face that I can get hold of in Australia? My pores are getting blocked with the standard one I'm using...damn being 25 and still having the skin of a teenager!

I've been looking at some zinc ones but they are rather pricey so wanted some advice before I invest. If anyone has tried the tinted ones that are like base make-up then I'd also love to know how it worked out.

Thankyou.

magistramarla
04-04-2012, 09:36 PM
Shine,
I found one here in the US that I like, but I don't know if you can find a similar one there. Mine is a pricey one, which I bought at a department store called Macy's, but it was worth it. I hate the look, feel and smell of most sunscreens, and I really hate when it runs into my eyes.
I found this powder form called Mineral Essentials. It's tinted like a foundation and comes in a package with a built-in brush. I just have to twist it, tap it, and brush it onto my face. It works very well for me. I used it very regularly when we were traveling in Greece, especially when we were on the ferries, traveling between the islands. I used Aveeno sunscreen on the rest of my body.
In nearly two weeks of traveling, the only burn that I got was right at the edge of my sock, where it had moved down past where I had put the sunscreen.
I hope that you can find one like mine.
Hugs,
Marla

Adventure Racer
04-24-2012, 02:42 PM
Not sure about getting it in Australia --- but my derm recommended Anthelios 60 fluid with matte finish. I love it!!! Non greasy, doesn't smell, doesn't feel like I am wearing sunscreen at all ---- and it works!!
There are different types on Anthelios. Make sure it is the fluid!

leaann
04-24-2012, 03:17 PM
I don't know about where you are, but I am using ones that are designed for kids and it is like a stick that you somewhat roll on. Sp far it seems to be working good. But I am always looking for something better.

best of luck to you

tgal
04-24-2012, 05:35 PM
I use one called Neutrogena Spectrum + Face Advanced (100SPF). It is about 13 dollars in the US and it works really well.

Here is the Neutrogena Link (http://www.neutrogena.com/category/sun.do?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Sun+-+Branded+-+General&utm_term=neutrogena%20sun%20screen&utm_content=sunblock%7Cmkwid%7CsgHi6GkAX%7Cpcrid%7 C8923083282)

magistramarla
04-24-2012, 10:06 PM
Not sure about getting it in Australia --- but my derm recommended Anthelios 60 fluid with matte finish. I love it!!! Non greasy, doesn't smell, doesn't feel like I am wearing sunscreen at all ---- and it works!!
There are different types on Anthelios. Make sure it is the fluid!

I LOVE that name! Anti means against in Greek. Helios means the sun (also the name of the Greek god of the sun). Put them together and Anthelios = against the sun. Love it!
Just a little of the old Latin and Greek teacher education showing here!
Hugs,
Marla

tripLexie
04-25-2012, 06:24 AM
I use Aveeno Face Lotion 70SPF. I like it.. But I have to put it on a little bit before I start applying makeup because of it needing to dry and set and whanot.

Shine
04-25-2012, 07:38 PM
Here in Australia I can't find anything other than 30+ or Zinc. Anyone know why this is? I've always presumed it's because putting 30+ on the label encourages you to reapply more often than 70+...perhaps? I dunno.

steve.b
04-25-2012, 11:28 PM
the government, in there wisdom, have decided that noone should be outside for more than 30 minutes without reapplying sunscreen.
that is why nothing is rated above 30+

the plus means greater than 30 minutes protection, but nobody knows how much greater.

Shine
04-26-2012, 10:01 PM
SO some could be 70+ and some only 30 but no one can tell? That would maybe explain why I burn terribly with some and I'm ok with others. Now I just stick to zinc based ones because they actually tell you the percentage of zinc in the ingredients. The higher the better!

aimee.x
04-27-2012, 01:31 AM
I think the cancer council has a non-greasy sunscreen that's specifically for people with sensitive skin and its also 30+ except if i recall correctly it was also a bit expensive. If you don't want greasy I suggest you stay away from Le Tan because that one always makes me break out for some reason :( There's this nice asian branded (I forgot the name..) base make up powder that I've used before that said 30+ and I didn't burn terribly with that so I've continued to use it.