PDA

View Full Version : Bladder tests tomorrow

ritzbit2
04-02-2012, 02:41 PM
Some of you may know that I have had a variety of bladder problems that have been getting worse the past 6 months to a year, though I have had most of them for a good portion of my life. I saw a urologist last month and he ordered a bunch of tests including a CT scan to see if he can figure out whats causing it since my rheum said "its not lupus related" though he said he wouldn't rule it out. He thinks it could be a nerve problem which I could believe. I'm hoping that the CT will be able to see my intestines and all that fun stuff too so maybe if there is something visibly wrong there they will see it too. My rheum also said none of my GI problems are lupus related either. Makes me so mad. Anywho I'm a little nervous about one of the tests that involves something along the lines of a catheter..

ritzbit2
04-03-2012, 08:45 AM
Had some pretty unpleasant tests run this morning and so far all they can do is confirm that I have incontinence issues and they also found kidney stones. I won't know anymore until a few weeks from now.

steve.b
04-03-2012, 09:27 PM
with modern procedures, bladder issues are not always the continual problem they used to be.

my wife has had a couple......
and things are almost normal now.

it may turn out very positive,and you will not need to worry ever again.

heres hoping.

ritzbit2
04-04-2012, 05:59 AM
I hope so. He said he would like to try to get some of it under control if we can without having to get surgery because I haven't had kids yet. I'm wondering if anything else will show on the CT scan. All it told me so far is I can look forward to passing 2 kidney stones that are in my left kidney lol

magistramarla
04-04-2012, 02:06 PM
Hi Ritz,
I'm glad that you got those tests. My daughter has recurring problems with kidney stones. The worst was when she had one while she was pregnant!
Stay hydrated! Drink LOTS of water. I know that this is a pain when you have incontinence, but Poise Pads are your friends.
Meg also was having incontinence, and it turned out to be from her endometriosis. The gyno said that he found it growing all over her bladder as well as her uterus. Once she had the surgery for it, she's been lots better. Has your gyno checked you for endometriosis?
I'll be curious to hear what your urologist finds out. I go through several Poise Pads a day, but both the rheumy and the PCP shrugged it off and called it "part of menopause". Let me know what you find out.
Hugs,
Marla

ritzbit2
04-04-2012, 03:58 PM
I have an appointment with him in 3 weeks. All I know other than the kidney stones is that the inside of my bladder is beautiful and normal. He told me to start exercising the muscles in that area to try to get better control of them to see if I can start to get some better control over the leaking and if its not better in 3-4 months we'll look at other options. I haven't been checked for endometriosis but I've read a little about it. Wouldn't it cause a lot of pain in that general area? I don't have a lot of constant pain there. He told me to pick 2 days between now and my appointment with him when I'll be home most of the day and literally pee into a measuring cup and record the time and amount or urine and bring it too him when I see him. I know that during one of the tests they said I didn't empty my bladder all the way (this was the nurse) but he didn't mention it so I guess it wasn't a significant amount still left in my bladder? I will definately post what I end up finding out.

magistramarla
04-04-2012, 09:56 PM
Ritz,
Yes, Meg had a lot of pain with the endometriosis.
I've been reading about the bladder spasming that is common with Spastic Paraplegia, which one of my docs thinks that I might have.
The bladder spasms, causing urgency and leaking, but it doesn't empty properly. I have this! I stand up and I can feel a spasm and the leaking.
I hobble to the restroom and go, then hobble back to the front of the house. In less than 20 minutes, I suddenly have to go again, and I repeat the whole thing.
Not emptying the bladder completely does seem to be a problem. Ask about it at your appointment.
I'll be anxious to hear what you learn.
Hugs,
Marla

ritzbit2
04-05-2012, 08:56 PM
Have you had a urodynamics test done? Thats when the nurse told me I was emptying all the way. She said she put in x amount of water into my bladder and then had me use the restroom and measured how much water there was and said that I hadn't emptied it all and then went and got the rest out. It was all very uncomfortable. I hope and pray I will never for any reason need to use a catheter on a regular basis.

magistramarla
04-06-2012, 04:08 PM
No, I I haven't been able to convince any doc that it should be investigated. I've just observed it on my own. The docs just dismiss it, saying it's "normal" for a woman my age in menopause - sigh.
I hope that you get some answers.
Hugs,
Marla

ritzbit2
04-06-2012, 04:12 PM
Me too. I'm hoping that he will know what to do if nothing else of any significance showed up on the CT scan. He seems like a really good doctor and has done so much already to help me out so I have faith in him to figure out what I need to do to get it fixed.